Contact us

Türkmenistan - Turkmenistan

Archer

Turkmenistan is kinda like the North Korea of Central Asia. With a really censored media, I don't think they would would pass EBU's initiative linked below. Plus, I wouldn't imagine them to want to join the EBU anyway.

Empowering Society: a declaration on the Core Values of Public Service Media

I didn't know that we were considering the political systems of the nations before we allow them to participate or not. Then let them kick all countries they don't like the governments of out.

AdelAdel

I didn't know that we were considering the political systems of the nations before we allow them to participate or not. Then let them kick all countries they don't like the governments of out.

Belarus is a democracy when compared to Turkmenistan, just sayin'....

Archer

Belarus is a democracy when compared to Turkmenistan, just sayin'....

I didn't even mention Belarus. Is there a standard to be a part of Eurovision ? like '' if democracy is below this line, you can't join '' or something.

I thought there was something like '' keep politics where they belong ''.

AdelAdel

I didn't even mention Belarus. Is there a standard to be a part of Eurovision ? like '' if democracy is below this line, you can't join '' or something.

I thought there was something like '' keep politics where they belong ''.

Could you give one reasonable reason why Turkmenistan should join?

r3gg13

It's not even political systems that's at play here (law is the closest thing politics could touch in this subject), It's the media situation that matters. Read this portion about EBU's vision:

INDEPENDENCE

We want to be trusted programme-makers, trustworthy in all fictional and nonfictional progamming, in all genres and formats, from news to entertainment, from science to sport, from culture to education. We make our choices only in the interest of our audiences.
We strive to be completely impartial and independent from political, commercial and other influences and ideologies. Free to challenge the powerful, to test prevailing assumptions, and contribute to an informed citizenship. We want to be autonomous in all aspects within our remit such as programming, editorial decisionmaking, staffing. Our commitment to independence needs to be underpinned by safeguards in law, and our commitment to the safety of journalists needs to be underpinned in all our actions.

I bolded the things that Turkmen media (and laws regarding media) can't really guarantee with their current ways of running the media.

AdelAdel

Because I'd like to see more diversity in Eurovision. That's just my wish, I don't need a reason for this.

So here, my question returns - why not make also China, Burma, North Korea, Nepal, India join? They would definitely provide diversity. North Korea would provide a song entitled "Kim Il Sung is god" sung by the band "Juche Servants" with ethnic Korean music - that would be diversity!

Oh... wait... it's impossible to send political songs... so then North Korea couldn't participate after all :lol:
And the same goes for Turkmenistan.

Yoni

I don't think the discussion is irrelevant since Turkmenistan isn't in Europe or in the EBU zone. :lol:

AdelAdel

I don't think the discussion is irrelevant since Turkmenistan isn't in Europe or in the EBU zone. :lol:

That's what I've been trying to tell Archer for days, now. It's not European even culturally. That's why I made the China reference, because asking Turkmenistan to join ESC makes as much sense as asking China to join.

Archer

It's not even political systems that's at play here (law is the closest thing politics could touch in this subject), It's the media situation that matters. Read this portion about EBU's vision:

I bolded the things that Turkmen media (and laws regarding media) can't really guarantee with their current ways of running the media.

Does the media of Belarus guarantee that ?

Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenian are also outside of EBA. And your country is even far from Europe after all. The countries which most of people here approach in a biased/political way and blame for not being European enough although they are much closer to the region than some of the countries participating now are actually included in the EBU zone.

AdelAdel

Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenian are also outside of EBA. And your country is even far from Europe after all. The countries which most of people here approach in a biased/political way and blame for not being European enough although they are much closer to the region than some of the countries participating now are actually included in the EBU zone.

Turkmenistan is closer than some EBU countries? Which ones?

Archer

Okay, you mentioned the Caucasus - but they are culturally European and... are closer than Turkmenistan... and more democratic, anyway.

I didn't mention Caucasia either.

And since when the government of the nations are an unit of measure in whether allowing countries to participate or not ? Tell me if there is such a rule. Democracy is a political system after all, which the countries are free to apply it or not.

AdelAdel

I didn't mention Caucasia either.

What did you mention, then? Because if you look at post 92, you can see Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan written.

And, whatever man, you may want Turkmenistan to join, I've given you (and some other people too) good reasons why Turkmenistan shouldn't join. In the long run, it won't join ever, just like China, Guatemala and Central African Republic, sorry.

Archer

What did you mention, then? Because if you look at post 92, you can see Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan written.

And, whatever man, you may want Turkmenistan to join, I've given you (and some other people too) good reasons why Turkmenistan should join. In the long run, it won't join ever, just like China, Guatemala and Central African Republic, sorry.

No, I referred to the North Africa and the rest of the Middle Eastern countries (which are included in the EBU zone and closer to Europe than some of countries participating) most of people here object to the participation of. So it's a bit biased when people talk like '' It's not in EBU '' or '' It's not in Europe '' when it comes to Turkmenistan.

AdelAdel

No, I referred to the North Africa and the rest of the Middle Eastern countries (which are included in the EBU zone and closer to Europe than some of countries participating) most of people here object to the participation of. So it's a bit biased when people talk like '' It's not in EBU '' or '' It's not in Europe '' when it comes to Turkmenistan.

See? All these countries are in EBU and decide not to participate, Turkmenistan also wouldn't.

SRBIJA

Banned
Maybe it would help if we actually focus on those European countries showing interest in joining EBU and not some country who is not anyhow related to Europe and whose habitants probably dont even know what Eurovision is. So a big NO.

IMO Kazakhstan is futher we could go in Eurovision, not even that IMHO.

Top Bottom