Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

GRAND FINAL LIVE

DAY 1 - 16 LIVE STREAMS

Last edited by a moderator:

empo21

Veteran
Here we come, the first voting mistake:

I'm confused. The jurors' identity is kept a secret, but aren't the names submitted to EBU for validations beforehand? This is more EBU's mistake than anything and no points should be taken from anyone.

The more we have such news come up, the more I realize EBU and the Eurovision producers are doing a lousy job when it comes to the juries starting from the assembling all the way to the voting.

Shadowfuxcs

Overall I found the live on tape-s underwhelming and rather non-interesting to watch. No particular differences in concepts and none of them stood out as a better performance than the actual esc one. I only liked Belgium's taped performance more than their main one because the intimate setting is more fitting for the song and the camera work was nice towards the end. Bulgaria was also better since it lacked the distasteful framed picture of the sick father.
Greece, San Marino and Azerbaijan were a mess, Switzerland definitely inferior to their eventual staging and Italy lacked energy.
Australia would have held up fairly well to the competition if everyone had to compete with the taped performances but maybe they knew there was a high chance they would use it so they gave it more attention than other countries did.

Oh and Ukraine was great, certain effects and camera work looked better than the esc performance but others elements were weaker and the outfit was worse.

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran

Etanna

Here we come, the first voting mistake:

It's a stupid formality :rolleyes: Tonya Graves has lived here for ages (over 25 years), speaks Czech and is very much part of the Czech music scene as she has had a very successful music career here. If countries can be represented by artists who have nothing to do with them (and it's not just San Marino who does that), then I don't see what the problem is with this.

ag89

I did ranking from 1 to 26 for the final with points for everyone, from 1 to 26/25. Some interesting things: Germany on average was doing better than other zeros: it would have come 19th with the televote with this system. Serbia would have fallen to 16th place with the televote simply because Serbia received top marks from a very limited number of countries and low rankings in most other countries. So, 9th place with the televote is such a high result having in mind small number of countries who actually gave points to Serbia. It did happen before, not only to Serbia, but also to Bosnia, Armenia, Turkey and others. Diaspora and neighbours cannot secure you the victory or top top result, that's for sure. Malta would have been 11th with the televote because on average Malta was mid table in many countries but close to get some points. Moldova would have fallen as well, it received many low rankings. At the bottom nothing would have changed, UK, the Netherlands and Spain picked almost all low rankings.
Once combined with the jury score Italy would have won anyway (but the gap with France would have been only 13 points!), but Ukraine would have come 4th instead of 5th. Sweden would have been 10th overall because of mid table rakings across the board, similar to Malta.

jatojo

It's a stupid formality :rolleyes: Tonya Graves has lived here for ages (over 25 years), speaks Czech and is very much part of the Czech music scene as she has had a very successful music career here. If countries can be represented by artists who have nothing to do with them (and it's not just San Marino who does that), then I don't see what the problem is with this.

Yes, it does seem like a very small error. However, personally I think it would be great to go back to more strict rules about nationality. I actually like the idea of only allowing national composers (meaning: a ban on international composers writing entries for various countries), but I guess many would be against that.

NemesisNick

Here is a video, containing my reactions, when the public vote results were announced at the end of the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final on 22 May 2021. My comments reflect how I felt about the public vote scores as they were announced.

Please note my views on the songs are partly influenced by my taste in music. I personally don't like hard rock / heavy metal generally, which is why I didn't like the entries of Italy or Finland, and hence why I'd have preferred France or Switzerland to have won. Nonetheless, I understand there are plenty of hard rock / heavy metal fans around the world, who would have enjoyed Italy's entry. Despite my views, congratulations to Måneskin from Italy, for winning the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 with their song "Zitti e buoni".
Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: ESC 2021 Grand Final Televote Reaction

NemesisNick

Here is my video review of the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final, on 22 May 2021. This follow-up to my televoting reaction video focuses mainly on notable moments when the jury votes and public votes were announced that evening. I've also included some comments about Eurovision Song Celebration, which was streamed online by the EBU on 28 and 29 May 2021.

Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: ESC 2021 Review

crashworld

Veteran
I have managed to find the jury shows to the semi-finals and grand final. They are on VK.com.
The links to each performance are in the description boxes of the following youtube links:

SF1

SF2

GF

Really interesting to see how artists sound better in the jury show (ie. Ireland/UK/Poland) and some got a couple of bum notes (ie. Switzerland in GF).

As for the infamous technical faults in SF1, Romania didn't sound that bad as compared to the 'live' streams but it's obvious there is a mis-match of the vocals VS the backing track. Same for Ukraine. But Azerbaijan and Malta's performances look like they have a perfect run.

crashworld

Veteran
The VK user has also posted the grand final family show. It's so weird to see some of the female acts without the make-up on.

94ayd

You can see Victoria and Vasil's performances at yesterday's Sofia Pride 2021 (10.000 people, biggest one so far) at the beginning of the concert here:

She sings Ugly Cry, Phantom Pain & The Funeral Song, while he does some Anglo-Macedonian mash-up of You and maybe a folk song and then Here I Stand.

If you happen to spot a guy (going through his bag) in pink trousers during Victoria's performances, it's me. :p My boyfriend who is a bigger fan of hers is also shown filming her at the start.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

But he was saved by Portugal with 5 points. Those 5 stuck to me because they stung me. I hated Manel Navarro so much for how he got to Eurovision.
I spoke to Spanish fans when I attended the contest live in 2018 and even they were pissed that he got 5 points from Portugal's televote! :lol: Everyone was expecting him to get dual nul points. And it would have an even worse result than the UK this year as he would have gotten 0 points out of 984.

NemesisNick

Well everyone, it's the night before the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 First Semi-Final. Guess what, at last two reports covering the
Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final are now available on my blog. Sorry about my prolonged delay in bringing you those. When I write about the ESC Grand Final, I tend to write a bit at a time when I feel like it, and I gradually wrote bits of my reports, leaving large gaps. It's only in the last few days I've filled the gaps and today I've put my Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final review and Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final Extended Voting Analysis on my blog. Here are the links to my reports:

Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final
Eurovision Song Contest 2021 Grand Final Extended Voting Analysis

Hopefully the equivalents for the ESC 2022 Grand Final will be written and on my blog within 6 weeks of the show.

Top Bottom