Post Eurovision Discussion

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

GRAND FINAL LIVE

DAY 1 - 16 LIVE STREAMS

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinch

I though the Serbian song actually looked and sounded better.

The Greek song is good and she's a good singer too.
Serbia's both performances are good but LOT is a proper, clean version. I really love their concert-like performance at Eurovision stage.
The only good thing about Greece is Stefania's amazing vocals imo. The song, per se, is just bad. No matter how you polish it, just bad sadly.

musicfan

Serbia's both performances are good but LOT is a proper, clean version. I really love their concert-like performance at Eurovision stage.
The only good thing about Greece is Stefania's amazing vocals imo. The song, per se, is just bad. No matter how you polish it, just bad sadly.
I always said the Serbian song was messy based on the Rotterdam performance. It qualified on the energy of it but I didn't think it deserved to. So I'was happy to see a better live.

The Greek song is decent, good verse and bridge to the chorus. The chorus is a lot simpler but I feel it's extended well enough for a dance song. The lyrics aren't that bad either, some decent touches within its apocalyptic theme. There's also a nice version with piano she did where it becomes more a ballad.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Lol what was this live-on-tape? You prefer it? I'm sorry in my opinion it was bad, very amateurish and yeah just wtf, these dancers looked just weird, what was this styling??? They were like people from fan recap I'm sorry I can't call this good or professional or whatever nice thing. It would suit to some other competition but not ESC potential performance imo. It looked like they didn't put much effort in there.

WTF?

Did you watch the rest of the performances?????????? all the copy paste of NF performance

San Marino really did a great job with their live on tape

+ it couldn't be more Eurovision than that....

hawadharma

Can I say Krista is such an interesting host :D

hawadharma

:lt: :ua: :fr: :bg: is consistently good, LOT or live

:ch: was a trainwreck, LOT or live. his vocals really saves everything.

:de: LOT is suprisingly more entertaining

:rs: is brilliant to change their live performance to include the audience

Ezio

Veteran
Spain is my winner of LOT

crashworld

Veteran
Can I just say I am so grateful that only Australia got to use the LOT performance? So many of them either have bad sound mixes or bad camera angles. The lightings of some are quite bad too. But generally there are no major surprises as they sort of follow the same staging concepts. My opinions on all 37 of them:

Great
  • Poland: Best effective staging concept out of all of them. Love how they used the stage effectively. Rafal for once didn't sound that dreadful.
  • Lithuania: Kudos to the effort in replicating the same stage as the one in Rotterdam. The delegation already knew what they wanted and they got the staging right.
  • Germany: Just because they are smart enough to used the stage in Lithuania.
  • Bulgaria: Although missing the sand and picture of her father and her gimmicks, it's still very nicely done, a more intimate set-up of the Rotterdam performance.
  • Belgium: Although it's exactly the same staging, but I love the ending part where they zoom out and show that it's a small set-up in a huge arena.
  • Ukraine: The staging fits the small studio set-up better. I love the LED screen where there is the army of figures running, look so damn good compared to what is shown in the big stage at Rotterdam.
Good
  • Serbia: I love the staging concept more in the LOT. More varied and dynamic. But the girls' lack of coordination in their dance routine still throws me off. And you can see some of the struggles with the high heels.
  • North Macedonia: Even though the effects are not as good as the ones in Rotterdam, but I like the effective use of lightings.
  • Australia: Love the effects, the staging is fine. The only issue is Montaigne's expressions throughout the performance.
  • Austria: Just a downsized version of the Rotterdam's performance. Still effective and Vincent sounds great.
  • Czech Republic: Loved the overhead arched LED screens. Benny sounded so much better. Though the volume of backing vocals should be turned down.
  • France: Same as the NF. Effective as it is.
  • Finland: Same as the NF. Effective as it is.
  • Sweden: Same as the NF. Effective as it is and much better than the one used in Rotterdam.
  • Russia: Very similar to the Rotterdam's performance just the dress is different. Love the back-up singers got their time to shine in the LOT performance. But Manizha didn't sound that good.
  • Spain: Same as the NF. Effective as it is.
Decent
  • Slovenia: Similar to the one we saw in the song release video.
  • Romania: The staging works better in a smaller set-up, Roxen sounded better. But some camera angles are poor.
  • Estonia: Same as the NF. Just alright as it is.
  • Denmark: Same as the NF. Just alright as it is.
  • Georgia: Just a downsized version of the Rotterdam's performance. Just alright as it is.
  • Albania: Just a downsized version of the Rotterdam's performance. Just alright as it is. Prefer her outfit in the LOT performance. The lightings are a tad brighter too.
  • San Marino: Very messy but the good kind. I was expecting this is the kind of staging Australia will be having, more bright and colourful.
  • Azerbaijan: The dancers are of the same height as Efendi, so Efendi look less like a dwarf. Less dynamic as compared to the Rotterdam's performance.
  • Norway: Same as the NF. Just alright as it is.
  • Portugal: Same as the NF. Just alright as it is.
  • The Netherlands: Just a downsized version of the Rotterdam's performance. Just alright as it is. I am surprised they didn't use the Rotterdam stage considering it's should be ready for use.
  • Cyprus: The lightings are a tad brighter, the sound mixing is pretty poor, certain camera angles are off. But the staging concept saves it from being underwhelming.
Underwhelming
  • Latvia: The staging just doesn't work at all, whether it is LOT or Rotterdam stage.
  • Israel: I am expecting more as the stage looks way too small and plain for such a dynamic song. Although I love Eden's outfit and styling here and she sounds so much better without moving too much, but she didn't emote the fun energy and sass.
  • Malta: It's so cheap-looking. Although I like the outfit she is wearing, but with no dancers and only her being there almost static. And the sound mixing is poor at the parts where she did her vocal runs.
  • Greece: Although there is no poor green screen effect, but everything looks so amatuerish. Stefania and her dancers' outfits. It looks like a breakfast TV performance.
  • Moldova: Another breakfast TV performance. The gold outfit looks good and Natalia sounded decent for once. Clearly the long note she did at Rotterdam is with support so she didn't bother with it on the LOT.
  • Switzerland: Everything is so bad, the dance routine without the props looks weird. The camera angles are the worst out of the 5. The mic volume is so soft, Gjon's great vocals are almost drown out by the background music.
  • Italy: Messy and amatuerish looking. Vocals are great but that's it.
  • Iceland: Another ameteurish looking performance.
  • Croatia: Same as the NF, but the camera angles are pretty appalling for some shots compared to the Dora's performance. Albina sounded less ideal compared to the one she did at Dora.

Last edited:

Lance Esgard

Having seen all the live-on-tapes except the UK and Ireland, I think that if Australia did go to Rotterdam they just might have qualified (if borderline). Many of these live-on-tapes show that a nation, especially without a national final, can have changed significantly in the three months or so between the live-on-tape and the actual Eurovision performance. Also, the first rehearsal would have given them feedback, which could have seen certain issues at least partially addressed.

Review of Grand Final Live-On-Tapes (Lithuania to San Marino):

Lithuania: Extremely similar to the Eurovision Grand Final performance with some slight choreography differences, different camera shots and the square at the start is a circle instead.

Ukraine: Basically the same, but more intimate due to the smaller stage. The platform on which they are on is lit with brighter colours. The background visuals are more prominent as a result and it feels more like being pulled into a different world. On the same level if not better than the Eurovision performance. I prefer it because I prefer the greater immersion.

France: Basically a hybrid of the National Final and Grand Final performances. This is my favourite version.

Azerbaijan: Much weaker staging, especially for the last thirty seconds. Does seem a little more fitting to the Dutch Mata Hari than the Egyptian Cleopatra though.

Norway: Rather similar but the staging is weaker, but not by that much.

The Netherlands: Extremely similar but I prefer the styling of the Grand Final performance.

Italy: Less energetic camera angles and lighting. It could have had a small concert feel but something about the set feels off. I think to mee it looks too much a TV studio of some kind rather than a music venue.

Sweden: Basically the National Final performance, including vocally. Prefer it over the actual Eurovision performance.

San Marino: Very different. I really didn't like the styling of the dancers but I much prefered the camera work and the other elements of the visuals which was more vibrant and energetic than the actual performance. The vocals were a lot worse. No Flo Rida and whoever did the rap did not appear on-stage.

Lance Esgard

Here we come, the first voting mistake:

"Thankfully, if this jury score is excluded it does not affect the positions of any of the 2021 participants. The only change is that rather than being in a tie for 10th position (but 11th by tiebreak rules), Bulgaria would have been 11th."

In the semi-final Finland and Portugal swap places, with Portugal dropping to 5th and Finland rising to 4th.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I hate this attempt to rebrand the Barbara Dex award to be the most striking outfit, we all know what it is really for, if you want to make an award for the most striking outfit just create a separate award

Ezio

Veteran
It strikes me that I loved re-watching Eurovision votings over and over again, but since 2016 I don't do that anymore.

So, I just started watching the 2011 voting procedure, and wow, this ESC was huge, but a funny thing was that Jon Ola was not in the spotliight. Judith Rakers asked "Jon Ola, all set?" He gives thumbs up and the voting begins. Somehow, he became he celebrity, beloved by the fandom and Take it away became his slogan. So, I find it quite amusing honestly, that Martin Österdahl acts like he is a beloved celebrity as well already, creating his own buzz word. Ya know what, Mr. Österdahl, snap out of it, give a mute thump up and you're good to go to maybe become a beloved character in the years to come.

2011 voting was so epic. Nice scoreboard, epic set, funny hosts, funny spokespersons. Now it is so stale and scripted.

I also miss Graham Norton commentary on youtube, or Andi Knoll and the German commentator. Thanks for nothing, EBU

ag89

Can somebody tell me what is that arena in Belgian live on tape performance?

Ezio

Veteran
Why not excluding only the points of that one juror?
I guess they don't know which juror voted how, or they are not supposed to reveal an individual juror's personal vote?

Top Bottom