Contact us

POLAND 2012 - not taking part

Sim

It appears that the EBU is desperately trying to convince Poland to stay in the contest. They offered to support them proposing a cut of their participation fee.
Source: eurosong.xz

So officially they are still out but personally I'd say, don't count them out just yet.

Why convincing a broadcaster that doensn't want to participate.
Honestly i don't think they are only out because of the money:)

A-lister

Veteran
It appears that the EBU is desperately trying to convince Poland to stay in the contest. They offered to support them proposing a cut of their participation fee.
Source: eurosong.xz

So officially they are still out but personally I'd say, don't count them out just yet.

Hmm I doubt these news and if true, I doubt EBU will manage to pursue them.

Yamarus

If Poland gets a rebate, wouldn't this set a precedent? I can't imagine other broadcasters being very happy to see TVP get a "free" ride to Baku while they have to face their usual ESC expenses.

A-lister

Veteran
If Poland gets a rebate, wouldn't this set a precedent? I can't imagine other broadcasters being very happy to see TVP get a "free" ride to Baku while they have to face their usual ESC expenses.

Well, I'm sure this won't be the first time this would have happened though.

How do you think EBU did bring back withdrawals in previous years? By talking nicely just? I doubt it...

stanleyk

Well, I am a bit disappointed, and I think that was rather a bad decision to withdraw, but I'm not gonna cry or something... I guess it would be hard to come up with something interesting and unique, yet catchy enough to succeed. Also, I don't think we have any artist that could and WOULD BE WILLING to represent us, and I do not really support the idea of sending 'no-names': simply because I want the person who is to represent me to be the one I know and trust in their talent; and trust cannot be build during one February evening, based on one song.

AlekS

Veteran
The president of our broadcaster confirmed that TVP indeed has financial problems.
Imo, it's a good decision, also it means that Poland can come back in 2013.

GRE

January 8, 2012
Poland’s national broadcaster TVP had announced that they wanted to focus on other events, such as the Olympics and the EURO 2012 this year, and would thus not send an entry to Baku. There were rumors that the EBU would try to convince Poland to stay by offering them assistance in the broadcasting of other events and a cut in participation fees.

http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com

GRE

omg!:eek:
According to the TVP Newsletter the Polish national broadcaster will not air the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest semifinals and final this year. Polish fans though have a very good alternative as they can watch the show in a very good quality through the official EBU web TV at www.eurovision.tv/esctv. Poland decided to withdraw this year as they wanted to focus their attention and budget to the 2012 Summer Olympics and Euro 2012.

Galandar

GRE, I think they do it on purpose. They know if they will not air the show they will have to miss ESC 2013 as well. Very sad to see TVP's attitude :(

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
GRE, I think they do it on purpose. They know if they will not air the show they will have to miss ESC 2013 as well. Very sad to see TVP's attitude :(

Yeah, I had a feeling that might happen. It's been obvious that the Polish broadcaster had very little interest in the contest and the Euro Cup was a good excuse to withdraw. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I have a feeling Poland may be gone for more than just a year :(

adnar

Well...not a surprise for me taking into consideration that TVP doesn't care about ESC (financial problems are fiction - who builds new building while having financial problems like TVP did over the past few years? Their problem is complete lack of managing their funds they have). I think TVP should air it. Show gained over 2 million viewers every year, many of these viewers are the ones who follow ESC every year, no matter if we take part or not and no matter about our result. I have both internet and sattelite tv, but surely not everyone who followed the contest have at least one of these.

I am pretty sure we will not see Poland in the contest for many years, until another (private) station apply for active membership on EBU. The problem is that I think that neither TVN nor Polsat (two biggest commercial tv broadcasters) are interested.

Sabiondo

That rule is obsolete.

But you must see what happens to Russia (1998-1999) & Greece (1999-2000) when both countries didn't show ESC before apply for take part in order, atfer 1 year of rest...... The EBU didn't allowed them in take part the next year as a rule in the contract. :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom