Contact us

LEBANON 2012 - not taking part

goktengri

Banned
Re: LEBANON 2012

Maybe that law doesn't exist, but perhaps Lebanon used it as an excuse?

We know that Lebanese government is a Israel hater but not constitutionally actually. There couldn't be such a stupid law anywhere. It's clear that the channel is afraid of government.

Israeliboy

^^There is such a law in all the Arab countries, maybe not in Egypt and Jordan. In the past, Jordan broadcasted Eurovision and they didn't show the Israeli performance.

seb89

Those countries don't recognise Israel, so I guess if they don't recongnise the country, they don't have to broadcast their performance, because that country 'doesn't exist'.

goktengri

Banned

yes they don't, but I just want to point out that there is not a judicial or constitutional obstacle to show Israel in TV. It's because of government's own policies and media doesn't want to go against them. And recognizition shouldn't be a problem for just a simple song contest, we also don't recognize Republic of Cyprus.

seb89

Agree, certainly if they are state-owned, the government can control them. It's a shame!

CC92

I guess it is not only about broadcasting but even more competing with them. Israel beating them would be a sanguinary disgrace.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Just updating threads now that the official list of participating countries is out. Lebanon is (no surprise) not in, so I updated the title accordingly.

Sim

No surprise at all, i don't think they'll ever participate unless Israel doesn't or the relationship between both countries gets better (way better)

A-lister

Veteran
No surprise at all, i don't think they'll ever participate unless Israel doesn't or the relationship between both countries gets better (way better)

Exactly, I never expected they'd take part at all, and they probably won't like... ever... probably.

Charly

Anything broadcasting with Israel such as Eurovision is Banned ny the Government, with LBC not allowed to partcipate.

A-lister

Veteran
Anything broadcasting with Israel such as Eurovision is Banned ny the Government, with LBC not allowed to partcipate.

Well, I know the conflict, but in a sense it's kind of silly, I mean are they pretending like Israel doesn't even exist? (well I guess so but who are they fooling?).

Armenia & Azerbaijan also is technically "in war", yet they atleast admit the existence of the other.

Oh well, no loss for Eurovision imo.

seb89

I think it's sad, it would be cool if they would participate. They have some great music groups.

Galandar

If Hezbollah is part of the reason why they won't show Israel's participation, you really think they would send an openly gay person to ESC? Doubt it...
Their relations with Israel is a different issue. Well we are also ex-Soviet country in Caucasus with predominantly muslim population which says a lot but could sent quite openly gay persons representing us at ESC and never got any problems with that. Why Lebanon can't do it? In fact Lebanon is one of the most liberal arab countries with its capital Beirut being famous for its nightlife

A-lister

Veteran
Their relations with Israel is a different issue. Well we are also ex-Soviet country in Caucasus with predominantly muslim population which says a lot but could sent quite openly gay persons representing us at ESC and never got any problems with that. Why Lebanon can't do it? In fact Lebanon is one of the most liberal arab countries with its capital Beirut being famous for its nightlife

You are secular, Lebanon is now partly controlled by Hezbollah which is an islamist organization and anything but secular.

Lebanon as a liberal country is a myth, compared to the others in that region yes it's true, but not in general. It's actually illegal to be gay in Lebanon, it's just that there are no concrete laws against it though. There's a nightlife, but it's kept down low.

Anyways, I never compared Azerbaijan with Lebanon in terms of secularism, I just compared the conflicts, which off course also differs greatly.

seb89

Mika would be great!

Well, even though it's still illegal, it's becoming more and more accepted. Beirut is also more liberal with indeed a great nightlife!

A recent popular Lebanese song was about gay couple, it was still a big success (not only in Lebanon). And they performed it on one of Lebanon's biggest festival with a rainbow flag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom