8 4.8%

8 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jatojo

The pop rock genre has a hard time in song contests, so I appreciate that Latvia got this one through. My rating is 7 which means that I hope it qualifies (it would take a miracle, I guess).

The weak side of the song is that it is so slow-moving (he even sings it: it's a lullabye) - and the quick drums in the beginning and the well-produced powerful instrumentation can't change that. There were melodic rock songs in the NF of Finland that I liked better, but hey, you can't win them all.

Semra

The pop rock genre has a hard time in song contests, so I appreciate that Latvia got this one through. My rating is 7 which means that I hope it qualifies (it would take a miracle, I guess).

The weak side of the song is that it is so slow-moving (he even sings it: it's a lullabye) - and the quick drums in the beginning and the well-produced powerful instrumentation can't change that. There were melodic rock songs in the NF of Finland that I liked better, but hey, you can't win them all.
Are you thinking about KUUMAA?

MopManMoss

Veteran
How is this pop rock? I’d struggle to put it in a genre box gun to my head alt rock / indie but nothing about it says pop rock to me

jatojo

How is this pop rock? I’d struggle to put it in a genre box gun to my head alt rock / indie but nothing about it says pop rock to me

It's often hard to place this kind of song in a well-defined category. I agree that there is indie in it as well.

To put it this way: It's definitely more pop rock than 90% of the other Eurovision entries are. ;) Slovenia is related - San Marino, Romania probably too.

MopManMoss

Veteran
It's often hard to place this kind of song in a well-defined category. I agree that there is indie in it as well.

To put it this way: It's definitely more pop rock than 90% of the other Eurovision entries are. ;) Slovenia is related - San Marino, Romania probably too.
Slovenia is definitely pop rock to me

Semra

Kuumaa, Benjamin, Portion Boys. (You can always discuss what to name this broad category.)
KUUMAA - We're all obsessed with their song here at home :) Just love it! I would call that pop-rock, maybe with a tiny indie vibe. The others I would say are pop, pop / "something else". No rock at all in them. But I agree with you, UMK is fantastic!

jatojo

KUUMAA - We're all obsessed with their song here at home :) Just love it! I would call that pop-rock, maybe with a tiny indie vibe. The others I would say are pop, pop / "something else". No rock at all in them. But I agree with you, UMK is fantastic!

The worst thing to say about UMK is that it makes the selection of entries in Liverpool look really weak ... I mean - not even half of the songs currently in the bookmakers' top 10 would have made the top 5 in Finland. (Or Norway for that matter.)

Portion Boys is definitely rock. Glam rock is probably the most precise genre.

Last edited:

Semra

The worst thing to say about UMK is that it makes the selection of entries in Liverpool look really weak ... I mean - not even half of the songs currently in the bookmakers' top 10 would have made the top 5 in Finland. (Or Norway for that matter.)

Portion Boys is definitely rock. Glam rock is probably the most precise genre.

You're probably right. I confused them with the guy jumping around on the trampolines/balls...

Norway is quite good, but UMK is a level above. I love indie and rock and my critique of MGP is; Why no rock? I mean, we (like Finland) have so many great rock bands. But there is still a snobby attitude amongst the rockers/dark pop artists in Norway about Eurovision (I know many of them and try to hide my guilty pleasure - ESC ahaha). I think in Finland the attitude is better.

jatojo

You're probably right. I confused them with the guy jumping around on the trampolines/balls...

Norway is quite good, but UMK is a level above. I love indie and rock and my critique of MGP is; Why no rock? I mean, we (like Finland) have so many great rock bands. But there is still a snobby attitude amongst the rockers/dark pop artists in Norway about Eurovision (I know many of them and try to hide my guilty pleasure - ESC ahaha). I think in Finland the attitude is better.

You did send the best glamrock Eurovision entry to date. ;) Only Portion Boys have been better so far. ;)

yuki_vamp.esc

And The Beatles ...? ;)

I thought the beatles isn't solely pop rock, they do different genres too like psychedelic rock which I love the most out of their songs.

yuki_vamp.esc

for me this isn't (the latvian entry) pop rock, 1) it's not mainstream and 2) there's not much hook on this song. but I can understand why you think so that it is a pop rock, mainly because the lead singer sung it like a pop artist would, or maybe you got other idea why you think it's pop rock if so then maybe you can share?

jatojo

for me this isn't (the latvian entry) pop rock, 1) it's not mainstream and 2) there's not much hook on this song. but I can understand why you think so that it is a pop rock, mainly because the lead singer sung it like a pop artist would, or maybe you got other idea why you think it's pop rock if so then maybe you can share?

The Beatles sometimes wrote pop songs, sometimes rock songs. And probably a mix of both in many cases. Typically it's a genre with bands. As you can see this year. There are drums on stage, a bass player and so on. Like Finland 2022 (typical pop rock, as I see it).

It's different from pop, dance, hiphop, heavy-inspired rock, power ballads, traditional folk etc.

It doesn't help the pop rock genre at Eurovision that they've excluded live instruments.

yuki_vamp.esc

I really wished that Latvia will go after Malta, then there's Serbia (no hate intended) ruining my dream .... 4th might be a good spot but two Lullabies back2back and the 2nd to perform :cautious:, then sandwiched with a show song of portugal ...... I rather want it be in 2nd spot but Malta opening the semi.

But overall still a very optimistic result on running order. VOTE for LATVIA!!!

Top Bottom