Contact us

KAZAKHSTAN 2013 - not taking part

LalehForWD

Re: KAZAKHSTAN 2013

There are PLENTY of undemocratic countries with lack of human rights in EBU, even in ESC there are some. Kazakhstan is no worse than Belarus or Azerbaijan in regards to democracy, and FAR better than the Middle-Eastern/North-African EBU members when it comes to Human Rights.

Perhaps there are, but they are in the European Broadcasting Area. Kazakhstan fails both criteria.

A-lister

Veteran

Perhaps there are, but they are in the European Broadcasting Area. Kazakhstan fails both criteria.

You must have missed the discussion, there was this assumption that Kazakhstan couldn't even be a member of the EBU because of the lack of democracy, and I just pointed out that EBU doesn't give a s* about democracy or human rights and Kazakhstan is far from being the worst example compared to some EBU members and it's not even worse than some countries already competing in ESC, so it would be hypocritical to say no to them based on such argumentations.

DanielLuis

You must have missed the discussion, there was this assumption that Kazakhstan couldn't even be a member of the EBU because of the lack of democracy, and I just pointed out that EBU doesn't give a s* about democracy or human rights and Kazakhstan is far from being the worst example compared to some EBU members and it's not even worse than some countries already competing in ESC, so it would be hypocritical to say no to them based on such argumentations.

Well thats true. What LalehforWD is saying is that they wouldnt still be allowed to enter because of EBU's rules. She's not starting an argument.

A-lister

Veteran

Well thats true. What LalehforWD is saying is that they wouldnt still be allowed to enter because of EBU's rules. She's not starting an argument.

I didn't really question the truth in that statement, because she's right about that, but still though the comment of mine she responded to was a response to another comment claiming that Kazakhstan couldn't be a member of EBU because of lack of democracy, so that's what I meant that she missed the original discussion.

But of course it's true, we won't be seeing Kazakhstan in ESC as long as they're not members of EBU, but it would be hypocritical of EBU to exclude them based on their democracy and human rights level when current EBU members are even worse there.

A-lister

Veteran

I have no idea if this has been posted anywhere, but is there any truth to this?

Kazakhstan to become a member of the European Broadcasting Union

I would assume that they would only get approved in January when the EBU can accept submissions, so probably won't be until 2014 at earliest before we see them at ESC?

Really? Odd source though...

I think that's great :) Welcome to ESC :kz: xcheer

Especially in these days when countries drop out because of lack of money and interest, I'm pretty sure :kz: won't lack any of those!

LalehForWD

Sorry to say, but what Andrzej1987 commented still apply. As I understand Kazakhstan must first be a member of Council of Europe. Kazakhstan will apparently get "observer status" now. Searching and reading at the Council of Europe site is confusing though. I can't find any resolultion about Kazakhstan newer than 2006.

Belarus, Holy See (observer status) and Israel (observer status) are not members of Council of Europe.

A-lister

Veteran

Sorry to say, but what Andrzej1987 commented still apply. As I understand Kazakhstan must first be a member of Council of Europe. Kazakhstan will apparently get "observer status" now. Searching and reading at the Council of Europe site is confusing though. I can't find any resolultion about Kazakhstan newer than 2006.

Belarus, Holy See (observer status) and Israel (observer status) are not members of Council of Europe.

So Belarus doesn't even have observer status? Well they're in the EBU, so obviously that rule doesn't apply then.

LalehForWD

I'm guessing there's an issue that blocks any smooth progress for Kazakhstan, the issue has a name and the name is Putin. :(

GRE

Oh no these are not good news.
The European countries are leaving,and the ussr countries will become more !

CypriotGirl

Veteran

Kazakhstan has timezone in some parts UTC+5 & and in other parts UTC+6. ESC show for them will start at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. I don't think they are zombies to stay awake and watch it, so why to participate? :?

dizzydjc

Kazakhstan has timezone in some parts UTC+5 & and in other parts UTC+6. ESC show for them will start at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. I don't think they are zombies to stay awake and watch it, so why to participate? :?

That's not any worse than Azerbaijan getting the show starting at 00:00.

I imagine they might change to 20:00 CET start time in that case, I don't see why not.

DanielLuis

That's not any worse than Azerbaijan getting the show starting at 00:00.

I imagine they might change to 20:00 CET start time in that case, I don't see why not.

I agree. I wouldnt mind it starting at 19 here in Portugal, and I guess CET countries wouldnt mind it at 20.

A-lister

Veteran

And? Azerbaijan takes part, and what about the central and eastern parts of Russia (even further away than Kazakhstan). :kz: is part of the European continent, if they want to sit up and watch in the middle of the night then that's their prerogative right? It's not as if they force us rest to do the same.

Jim

And? Azerbaijan takes part, and what about the central and eastern parts of Russia (even further away than Kazakhstan). :kz: is part of the European continent, if they want to sit up and watch in the middle of the night then that's their prerogative right? It's not as if they force us rest to do the same.

You're right! I agree! :mrgreen:

Top Bottom