1 0.7%

7 4.6%

14 9.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Iceland-scaled.jpg

RevNet

Full disclosure: I have listened to both versions of this song several times before the timing of this post.

THE GOOD:
-It's quite the groove.
-Everything just fits together.
-It's got a pretty good story. I'll explain more in my verdict.

THE BAD:
-The intro is a bit dated, but it fits with the song, so this is minor.

THE VERDICT:
Is your seat belt buckled? Good, because this section will be a very long one.

After today's proceedings and even before then, there are a couple of reasons that this song is being received very well by some folks, including me.

First of all, it's a new direction for Iceland, and I think it would be a new direction for any country. Therefore, this song is kinda unique in that regard. Second of all, it's not a ballad. I think that, especially after today, we should appreciate that at least ESC 2020 won't be a sea of ballads.

I'll tell you what this song reminds me of: There is a Canadian synthwave band called TWRP. If you're familiar with the Game Grumps YouTube channel, then you would know that one of the Grumps, Dan Avidan (aka Danny Sexbang), lends his vocal talents on their song called "The Hit", which features Ninja Sex Party, of which Dan is a member, along with keyboardist Brian Wecht, who is also a fellow Game Grump. While this song doesn't necessarily sound similar to "The Hit", for me, it's got a similar vibe to it. All of this was just a shower thought I had today.

Now for the story of this song, or at least what I gathered from the music video for this song: Let's imagine that you're in high school (or the equivalent of a high school) with a group of five or so friends. At that high school, you and your friends are considered the nerds/geeks. You all are also a bit awkward. Someday, you all want to be in a big-time pop/rock band. You've been making and improving your first song (this song) for a while and you feel ready to showcase it to the world. You want to perform it for a live audience. You decide that this one family gathering coming up is your moment to shine. You're also nervous as all heck. All kinds of what-ifs go through your head. What if the choreography goes wrong? What if somebody plays the wrong note? What if somebody sings a note out of tune? But then when the time comes, none of that happens, and while your family will think you're being weird and awkward, you know that in your head, you were amazing and you gave that performance your all.

All of this is to say that I very much like this song, and I hope it does well. 12 points

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
Oh, no, an absolute disaster, :is:. At least unlike :by:, you killed all my favourites early enough so they didn't even get to the n°2 spot and the whole thing hurts a little less.

:1: point for participation. If possible, cancel everything and send Hatari. It's still not too late to make Iceland great again.

Last edited:

mercachita

I'M SO HAPPYYY with this outcome. Thank you Iceland for being reasonable choosing well two years in a row. The best song and performance has won.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
Since the artist still isn't on the title, I can sneak this in. After the interaction between the lead singer and guitarist with Iva when DIMMA were announced as a superfinalist, I'd hoped they'd collaborate without knowing they already had.

I'd love for them to collaborate again, maybe something along the lines of a symphonic metal track xheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Daði vs. The Roop...battle of my former big NF favorites with a big local fanbase who've come back with a quirky entry that's certainly a downgrade from their previous entry but still great. Tough call. I'm giving Daði the SLIGHT edge and 10/12 in the poll once we have it.

yuya.rooo

I’m sorry but no, this song does nothing for me. It took me a lot of effort to listen to it two times without getting bored. :1: from me.
However, I hated Iceland last year too when it first came out (don’t kill me) but after a couple of weeks I had an okay relationship with it so let’s see ...

LastDreamer

Banned
My cousin (who took part in the Icelandic NF in 2010, but Hera Björk also took part that year, so she had no chance) knows Dadi.
Who is she ? I dislike Hera Bjork entry, so possibly her song was better.

crashworld

Veteran
You guys are just hating the winning song because your favourite didn't win. I really enjoy it. The whole package is very true to the artist. The message of the song is really sweet. The execution of the performance does look like a high school performance but it matches with the sound/concept of the artist, so it was not that bad. They may look borderline like a joke act but I beg to differ. I really like the retro electro sound to it.

I can't believe why you believe think Iva is robbed, she got a great voice, but it is just another wailing mess. I am glad she didn't win. Because Iceland is going to stand out in the sea of (bad) ballads we have been getting so far. I am saying this will qualify and may get a top 15 or 10 placing.

And this is miles better than last year's circus act. I am seeing people saying this entry is pretty similar to Lithuania's one. I do some similarities as both are quirky acts serving good songs. Song wise I prefer Lithuania's but the overall execution I prefer Iceland's.
I am giving this a 7 with a potential of upgrade.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
I'm giving a 0 as an offset to people giving a 12 for no reason.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
'Weirdness is new cool' I define it... I REALLY REALLY LOVE THIS SO MUCH..
DADI won and I am pleased...
Weirdness is the CURRENT cool. :cool:

(But don't tell the boring ass conformist cool kids. We wouldn't want them to develop negative self images)

Uto

Veteran
Weirdness is the CURRENT cool. :cool:

(But don't tell the boring ass conformist cool kids. We wouldn't want them to develop negative self images)
I'd argue that the conformists won in this case. They are the ones who rode a constructed social media hype all the way to trollville.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Some might have, but not I. I have loved think about things since the release, long before it became a meme. Same with Is This Love.

And i am far from the only one. Stop discrediting my faves just because yours lost.

Top Bottom