Contact us

How do you discover your entries?

Sabrewulf238

Do you already know most of the songs you enter or do you have to go on a big search for the next perfect song.

If you have to look for them how do you? Do you read music blogs? read music magazines? prowl youtube or lastfm?

Do you just pick an artist you already know and then try to find a song by them you never heard?

Spill all your secrets! :twisted:

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Hmm, I'm checking few websites & blogs with new music releases & last.fm & some music forum and 1 downloads website :lol:

VedatiNet

Outside NSC I almost dont listen music. I have some all time favorite songs that do I listen sometimes and thats al. Thats why is hard for me to find good songs. When I dont know what to send I just write a name of an artist that I know than I start to search on youtube. Right column of youtube helps me alot to find songs that I dont know then I write some of them in word document. I listen them for at least 5 times and decide which one to send. If I cant than I make NF. ( Thats the reason why Vedatistan still dont won any edition :lol:)

Sabrewulf238

I usually browse music blogs and also lastfm trying to find my entries.

I want to make a national final for this edition but I only have three songs so far....nothing I'm listening to seems worthy of being in my national final. :/

Keko

Well usually I send songs I've known for some time. But I can specifically remember two cases when I sent my entry immediately after discovering it. One of those is ''Alleine Zu Zweit'' which I discovered when I was searching for some gothic metal music. I specifically remember typing in Google stuff like ''best gothic songs'', ''best gothic metal songs'', etc. In that search I came across a video compilation someone made and this song ranked #2.
Other one is ''Army of Love'' which I discovered when I typed ''Kerli'' into YT search bar. I use that method when I look for new songs by artists I already know.

I usually discover music via last.fm, radio or I ask my friends about artists they discovered. =D Oh! And checking related videos on YT.

spiluke

Youtube works fine , people posting songs on facebook and related videos/songs

No Name

Hmm, most of my music isn't really something I've been hunting, but I do get a lot of inspiration from especially Danish music-sites such as gaffa or soundvenue, both mainly covering indie and alternative music.

I've found Last.fm also to be a great place to broaden up my taste too. I've found several great artists from less media-covered music-scenes around the world (gained a huge liking for Russia in particular), all thanks to last.fm.

Also a handful of my entries are discovered by accident. I happen to spend a lot of my internet-time on youtube and suddenly, after i-dunno-how-many videos watched, I find a song that just gets me. Later this might also end up as potential entry or taking part in one of my NFs.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

One thing I find a annoying....is that while I do think I have a diverse taste in music in NSC (I do like some rockish songs and also folky songs like Tohru's winner) when it comes to actually searching for songs to enter in NSC my scope is a bit limited. At least it feels a bit like that.

takeru

Most Yaponesian entries have been found by hunting on youtube, and a significant number of them specifically for an edition.
I often hunt for songs based around themes, or more recently, around a series of entries that have things in common (Our Sound and Don't Look Back).
Also, I like sending varied songs, so I often find myself searching for a song of a specific criteria (e.g. songs from specific countries, or of specific genres that I haven't sent much before)

I'm trying to stop doing this from now on, however, as I felt it gives my entries a limited choice, and also means that I'm sending songs I don't necessarily love that much...
I like to think though that it's provided Yaponesia with an interesting, varied history :p

zechhh

I don't really actively search for entries.

I just listen to a lot of new music, be it via user charts on forums or via 2 other song contests I participate in. And if I like a song enough to consider it "worthy" of representing Zechonia in NSC, I'll put in on an Excel list which I check before every contest to decide either on one song for the contest or on 6 songs for an NF. :)

MrJadeEwen

I usually send a song that has a personal link to me.

- Youtube/dailymotion searching
- links from Facebook
- songs heard in clubs/on the radio
- new releases by artists i listen to already
- watching the music channels
- hearing supporting acts for artists i see live

There are many ways xD i cannot pinpoint one I use more than the rest

94ayd

Um, I know most of the music beforehand. I do have my two playlists on YouTube called "Songs for NSC (foreign)" and "Songs for NSC (Bulgaria)". I remember showing them to some people back in the day to help me out in choosing my entry, as I had loads of songs saved there. :lol:

dogmeat

I spend a bit of time searching for music, but not specifically for NSC. Still, i often ask myself if a song is good enough for an entry when i find one and i save it in my memory (no written list, that seems too rigid :p).

YouTube related vids work quite well and if you go with a longer chain you can reach quite a variety, like finding a dubstep song starting out from a jazz song or stuff.
Last.fm used to work for a while, but it turned out to result in a dead end. Last.fm suggesting similar stuff to what you already know -> you listening to more of that stuff -> last.fm suggesting even more of that specific kind of stuff -> ... Well, it still happens to be useful sometimes. There are a few cool user apps based on last.fm stats.

I like to search for cool-sounding genres names and make up some crazy mixes of them. I make crossovers of 2-3 randomly chosen genres, add some fancy prefixes that fit everywhere like neo- indie- etc. and voila! Neo-Medieval New Age Folk is ready to be googled xD

What i absolutely can't search for, even though i'd like to, is pop. While more alternative stuff is usually divided into milions of sub-sub-sub-genres covering 3-5 completely uknown artists each, pop is a broad term saying nothing. A lot of music i could love is labelled by the same term as Rihanna. That's a problem i can't overpass. Fortunately, there's NSC :] (but i never send artists i learned in NSC).

Also, I like sending varied songs, so I often find myself searching for a song of a specific criteria (e.g. songs from specific countries, or of specific genres that I haven't sent much before)
I can't resist replying, cause it's an exact opposite of my way of choosing entries :p I never plan ahead, but just go with a feeling. It was meant to be different this edition since i had an entry planned for months, but as a result i got bored with the song and instead i chose a song discovered 2 days ago :p
Yes, it's nice to have interesting history of entries, but primarily it should be a history that represents me. I don't know if others find my entries history interesting, but if they don't, i can't do anything about it, as that's what my taste is like. Personally, i'm satisfied with what i've been sending, anyway.
I like it when people just follow their tastes. Everyone's taste is unique, so this is what gives their countries unique character (unique doesn't mean narrow).

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
I don't really do much active searching for songs, mostly i discover my entries by accident :p

While listening to stuff on YouTube, sometimes i'll see a related video that looks interesting, click it, and if it's good enough to be a potential entry, i'll favourite it. Also, if i hear a song somewhere that sounds cool or someone outside NSC tells me about a song, i'll often search for it on YouTube afterwards and favourite it. Over time, this accumulates and so when i go to look at my YouTube favourites to choose my next entry, i have plenty to choose from :D For example, i found out about I.D.A. through related videos for Strip Teaser by Anniela :p Apparently they did a tour thing together.

Occasionally, when there isn't anything in my favourites list that feels particularly inspiring at the time, i DO search actively for new songs. This is mostly done by searching for some generic term on YouTube which describes the style of song i feel like sending, and then i keep clicking related videos until i find something good. For example, i found Ratatat by using this method.

takeru

dogmeat said:
I can't resist replying, cause it's an exact opposite of my way of choosing entries :p I never plan ahead, but just go with a feeling. It was meant to be different this edition since i had an entry planned for months, but as a result i got bored with the song and instead i chose a song discovered 2 days ago :p
Yes, it's nice to have interesting history of entries, but primarily it should be a history that represents me. I don't know if others find my entries history interesting, but if they don't, i can't do anything about it, as that's what my taste is like. Personally, i'm satisfied with what i've been sending, anyway.
I like it when people just follow their tastes. Everyone's taste is unique, so this is what gives their countries unique character (unique doesn't mean narrow).

Yup, I definitely agree! :p For me personally, it worked, as I don't have much of a huge personal music resource anyway. However, I'm starting to get fed up with this method, which is why I want to get into a pattern of being a bit more natural and spontaneous (I made a similar vow about a year ago, from NSC 50~NSC 56 or so, but didn't stick to it :oops: ). I still think all the Yapo entries represent me well, but there are some that I think in hindsight probably weren't good enough to be sent :p

Very interesting thread btw! It's great to see where everyone's inspiration comes from :D

Cooler

Banned
When I see something good on other forum, I usually put it in NF here; when I have no ideas, I'm searching in the YouTube ;)

renzo

I am always on a continuous search for new artists, as I love discovering new songs and various styles. I rarely or quite never look at charts, but my source is always music blogs and youtube profiles. Searching for artists you already love is always helpful, as you can go through similar artists :) I just download the songs I love, and I send to NSC the song that I have been listening to the most. :D

Top Bottom