16 9.3%

54 31.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
France-scaled.jpg

HayashiM

Veteran
TBH there is a thin line between using swearwords to better make your point / be gently funny and between using them to be abusive - and I believe that line has been crossed tonight. No one deserves to hear "get out of this contest".

On the other hand, there's a difference between trashing an entry because of various reasons (which is what's been mostly happening here) and outright disrespecting someone (which I think mostly isn't happening).

For my part, if anyone organizes a trip for me to meet Alexandra, I am perfectly willing to meet her, ask her in person what made her forget about everything else when hearing the song, and then, most probably tell her that I don't think she is suitable for the job.
In the meantime, the results in Rotterdam might or might not do the same job for me.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
A forum is a online place where you can share your thoughts but there are a bit of rules. Again you speak about the song but it's not a matter of song or anything else. You have low or high expectations it's a fact. But i can't believe you support the fact people insult the artists (i even see sometimes insulting the families of the singers).

some just insult to let off steam but can't find a way to have constructive criticism

Mmh, I still haven't seen anything in this thread which really demands a mod to expunge it. Of course, some hardcore fans can be very harsh, especially bitter gheys like us. Even comments like "he deserves to be humiliated"are fine, imo, because let's face it... he will be after the teleovting points get announced. Germany had the same faith last year. We fans knew it, even the artist knew it.. they even left the greenroom after their performance and spent the whole voting procedure in the toilet(s).

If you don't wanna feel humiliated or embarrassed, perform a song you truly believe in, a song which speaks from your heart and feels genuine... For example, I honestly dislike "Still Breathing" (it's my last place this year) but Samanta Tina co-wrote the song and it's convincing.... "The Best In Me" is a VERY desperate attempt to cash in easy jury votes whilst neglecting your own identity, talents and dignity.

Mainshow

Veteran
TBH there is a thin line between using swearwords to better make your point and between using them to be abusive - and I believe that line has been crossed tonight. No one deserves to hear "get out of this contest".

On the other hand, there's a difference between trashing an entry because of various reasons (which is what's been mostly happening here) and outright disrespecting someone (which I think mostly isn't happening).

For my part, if anyone organizes a trip for me to meet Alexandra, I am perfectly willing to meet her, ask her in person what made her forget about everything else when hearing the song, and then, most probably tell her that I don't think she is suitable for the job.
In the meantime, the results in Rotterdam might or might not do the same job for me.

I actually think that "Get Out Of This Contest" is a very suitable message for people being responsible for entries like "The Best In Me" or "Sister". I mean, you get paid for choosing an entry, at least, dunno... try a bit? Or step back and ask other people/fans for help or assistance.
It's not part of a big deal if a new country selects such things with a limited amount of talents within their own countries.. or a head of a delegation who is fairly new to the game..but none of this applies to neither the French nor the German (may I add.. British?) delegations.

I know that I'm getting too vocal about this + I admit that I am quite angry but I honestly lose my patience when I think of UK, France and Germany in Eurovision. You can DO better (and Germany 2010-2012 as well as France 2016-2018/9) clearly proved that it's possible as long as they put some effort into the selection process.

This feels like getting the first composers available kind of attempt.

HayashiM

Veteran
I actually think that "Get Out Of This Contest" is a very suitable message for people being responsible for entries like "The Best In Me" or "Sister". I mean, you get paid for choosing an entry, at least, dunno... try a bit?

I can't agree, as once you agree with this message, you say "get out of this contest" to all the people who like the said entry - and there will always be at least some. This is everyone's contest. Also, it doesn't help when the said message is accompanied with a bunch of swearwords.

You know I dislike the song almost as much as you do. But let's not become bullies please. Tomorrow, the same could happen to a song you or I like.

DirtyFalcon

I can't agree, as once you agree with this message, you say "get out of this contest" to all the people who like the said entry - and there will always be at least some. This is everyone's contest. Also, it doesn't help when the said message is accompanied with a bunch of swearwords.

You know I dislike the song almost as much as you do. But let's not become bullies please. Tomorrow, the same could happen to a song you or I like.

This.

HayashiM

Veteran
I actually think that "Get Out Of This Contest" is a very suitable message for people being responsible for entries like "The Best In Me" or "Sister". I mean, you get paid for choosing an entry, at least, dunno... try a bit? Or step back and ask other people/fans for help or assistance.
It's not part of a big deal if a new country selects such things with a limited amount of talents within their own countries.. or a head of a delegation who is fairly new to the game..but none of this applies to neither the French nor the German (may I add.. British?) delegations.

I know that I'm getting too vocal about this + I admit that I am quite angry but I honestly lose my patience when I think of UK, France and Germany in Eurovision. You can DO better (and Germany 2010-2012 as well as France 2016-2018/9) clearly proved that it's possible as long as they put some effort into the selection process.

This feels like getting the first composers available kind of attempt.
I agree with the rest of your edited post though :) I think the HoD should have known and done better. Definitely.

tuorem

Internal selection was the perfect opportunity to send something musically more sophisticated that wouldn't have necessarily stood a chance in a NF with French televoters, or even something purely uptempo for a change since uptempo acts were all neglected in Destination Eurovision.

When they said they had chosen a song and were looking for a singer, I really thought they would go the uplifting route after all the midtempos and ballads we've sent recently.

Uto

Veteran
Reveal is in one hour, haven't heard the song yet. Given all the reactions I have no idea at all what to expect beyond the worst type of Suecophilic balladry one can think of. Please tell me it's at least better than Aiste in the NF of Lithuania.

Mainshow

Veteran

I loved Belarus 2013 but from the moment it got submitted, I knew that it was the epitome of trash and I can totally understand people dragging me for having it one of my favourites because it was chanceless and cheap and sounded like a Eurovision song from the mid 00s whilst competing in 2013.

Of course, you are right, technically, Eurovision is a room for everyone and it should be a mixed bag from quality entries, trashy ones, fun entries, ballads, even dated songs etc... but can France not take over Moldova's or the UK's position in Eurovision anymore, pls?

tuorem

Reveal is in one hour, haven't heard the song yet. Given all the reactions I have no idea at all what to expect beyond the worst type of Suecophilic balladry one can think of. Please tell me it's at least better than Aiste in the NF of Lithuania.

It's currently raining in Paris. I don't know if it's a sign from Mother Nature or something. :ROFLMAO:

PinchyCrabstina

I don't mind this entry. It's a bit bland but it has way more potential to do OK than Bigger Than Us did. I can see the juries liking this.
It's difficult to understand the violent reaction this entry has sparked in the esc fandom. How is this more offensive in the sense of being "generic", than Australia for example? I hope Tom won't be too discouraged by all of this.

It's been said in the thread before but there is a difference between simply expressing dislike for an entry or make jokeful comments about it, and using harsh language to hate on it. Those who choose to do the latter are a disgrace to the esc community.

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

BorisBubbles

Veteran

Look Hayashi, if my posts bother you feel free to quote them and tell me "Yo boris, i think you went to far here". Or idk, call me a fat loser dweeb I don't really care. I, too, sometimes need to be told about myself. But don't be passive-aggressive like that towards me. i've known you to be better than this.

The most important thing to get out of this conversation, is that, no matter how you express it (I with a barbed tongue and a vengeful spirit, you with the sign of paternal disappointment I know oh so well), we all unanimously agreed this entry is not very good.

I hated "Tous les deux" and was happy it lost to Bilal, but at least that song has ~some~ mystique, SOME fanbase it could appeal to. A Seemone fan/Bilal Hater could probably still come up with reasons why someone else would like "Roi".

"The best of me" really doesn't have that. It's lazy, riddled with cliché's and worst of all, so so so boring. There is no enjoyment to be had, apart from "well he seems like a nice bloke, I guess". It's not even a "Universo" which at least is at the level of "hilariously missing the point".

It's a waste of a slot that could've gone to someone or something else. And I will not accept it.

Mainshow

Veteran
ction was the perfect opportunity to send something musically more sophisticated that wouldn't have necessarily stood a chance in a NF with French televoters, or even something purely uptempo for a change since uptempo acts were all neglected in Destination Eurovision.

That's also my point of view. If you go for an internal selection/nomination, make sure that it's either a hell of an artist who is very successful, well-established and popular or submit an entry which is daring, bold, experimental and pushing the boundaries.

Uto

Veteran
It's currently raining in Paris. I don't know if it's a sign from Mother Nature or something. :ROFLMAO:
Has to be storm Dennis. Fun trivia: Dennis Storm used to be a Dutch TV-presentor known for doing a show where they would use various drugs live on TV. I have 50 minutes left till my demise. What does the doctor prescribe?

Top Bottom