16 9.3%

54 31.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
France-scaled.jpg

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm listening to some death metal right now to cool down a bit. When the song officially gets released, I will try to listen to it again and treat it fairly. I mean, I know that my posts kinda look like "The Best In Me" is some form of devil-incarnate but actually, I gave it 2 points because I enjoy Tom's voice...

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
How is this more offensive in the sense of being "generic", than Australia for example?

Because Montaigne, bless her Mr. Mime clownery heart, is at least trying to deliver something. That something is pretty mediocre, yes, but it's there. This entry is just a half-handed attempt at an old-fashioned ballad and a very lazy one at that. Sorry but I can't stand it knowing what it could've been. Sorry Tom.

Mrm

Veteran
What did you ppl expect with internal selection here?
"Patricia Kaas"after such televoting threat to that quality in 2009!?! ;)

DirtyFalcon

I have a question for you people : Do you think a revamp would be a good idea ?
And If Tom Leeb song got a revamp : What would you want to improve into the song ? (Please only constructive answers with arguments, not insultant answers )

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

I expected authenticity at least, not a Swedish sellout. This doesn't feel or sound like Tom Leeb at all.
In fact, if it wasn't for him I would've given it 0.

And If Tom Leeb song got a revamp : What would you want to improve into the song ? (Please only constructive answers with arguments, not insultant answers )
Yes, a revamp would do. A total revamp. Throw "The Best in Me" in a ditch and start over with something more like this
or

Mainshow

Veteran

What's the point of doing it the other way round and not going for quality? Tom will clearly get less votes in televoting than Patricia in a very competitive and strong year.

Also, Patricia ended up being #4 in the jury voting. Do you really believe that Tom will be ranked higher?

HayashiM

Veteran
Look Hayashi, if my posts bother you feel free to quote them and tell me "Yo boris, i think you went to far here". Or idk, call me a fat loser dweeb I don't really care. I, too, sometimes need to be told about myself. But don't be passive-aggressive like that towards me. i've known you to be better than this.

The most important thing to get out of this conversation, is that, no matter how you express it (I with a barbed tongue and a vengeful spirit, you with the sign of paternal disappointment I know oh so well), we all unanimously agreed this entry is not very good.

I hated "Tous les deux" and was happy it lost to Bilal, but at least that song has ~some~ mystique, SOME fanbase it could appeal to. A Seemone fan/Bilal Hater could probably still come up with reasons why someone else would like "Roi".

"The best of me" really doesn't have that. It's lazy, riddled with cliché's and worst of all, so so so boring. There is no enjoyment to be had, apart from "well he seems like a nice bloke, I guess". It's not even at the level of a "Universo" which at least is at the level of "hilariously missed the point".

It's a waste of a slot that could've gone to someone or something else. And I will not accept it.

Fair enough. Yo Boris, I think you went too far there. I might have at some point today as well. Sorry if I did.
I am personally really disappointed. Most of us agree this entry is bad. However, some unique cases do like it, it's not only Citelis, we are not unanimous.

From the bright side, all the more chances for our favourite entries :)

hawadharma

I actually like it. I don’t love it or anything but it’s much better than most of the songs already chosen such as Italy and Armenia. Great voice!

:7: or :8:

As much as I wanted Me Tana to win instead of Shaj, and as much as I disliked the Italian song, I never dare to say that this French entry is better than those two..

Shaj got the hook in the chorus, Fai Rumore at least is a decent Italian ballad but this?

source.gif

tuorem

We could have sent a bop (a la "Ok ou KO", "Comme Une Grande", "Por Aqui", etc.) or something a tad more high-art in its composition (a la "On Cherche Encore", "Passio", and so on). There are so many things we could try tbh.

No need for a big name as long as the song is solid and offers something to the listener. :)

Mrm

Veteran
@Mainshow

Looooool we cant expect from this artist quality od 2009 French entry.. 2009 French entry is a serious bonus... Smth like that we get in ESC "once in a lifetime" .. ;)

Mainshow

Veteran

I don't think that a revamp could change anything since it's a lost case anyway BUT I can tell you what I find irritating:
- The cheesy lyrics
- The language change(s) - They doesn't sound natural to me. I didn't mind them in France 2016, Slovenia 2014 or Poland 2014, for example.
- The constant changes in terms of instrumental/key change(s) - I know that they tried to create some built-up to save the song but it's more lika an anti-climax to me.

I just think it's not authentic, genuine at all and that's why I can't think of a revamp being a good idea. Just hope for a complete change of the song or keep your fingers crossed for juries to massively vote for it because France will definitely be bottom 5 in the televoting.

Top Bottom