Contact us

Favourite song that didn't make it to Duesseldorf

aletem

I haven't followed much of the NF's, but here are some favourite songs of mine for this year:

Macedonia: Olivera - Na kraj, or Zdravka - Ludost
Slovenia: Rock Partyzani or April, and even Hanna
Iceland: I hate to say, but I really love the English version of "Nott". I am not a fan of her, but this English version trumps "Is it true" in any way.
Austria: Definitely Trackshittaz
Ukraine: Jamala - Smile
Portugal: Nuno Feist - Quase a voar
I like the Greek winner too, but also Nikki would have been a great and perhaps slightly better (Eurovision friendly) choice.

Joabi

yes Loreen was my favorite too.
I couldn't believe she didn't make it to the final.
eeheyeah xheart

A-lister

Veteran
Well the first song that cross my mind is offcourse without any doubt Zlata Ognevich's "Kukushka" from the Ukrainian selection. I need to stress here the Ukrainian version which is just brilliant. Since it never won, eventhough the bi-lingual one was used in pre-selection, I guess we can never know 100% for sure which one would have been send to Eurovision.

This song was the ultimate ESC song this season and the best out of all national selections. The whole package really.

- Catchy, yet original enough and not some unsafe cheap stuff.
- Contemporary, yet with ethnic elements in a perfect mix that felt fresh but still true and geunine. I think this was like a fresh mix between Ukraine's two best positions (Ruslana and Ani Lorak).
- A great, good-looking and charismatic singer.
- Potential for a great stage show in Eurovision.

Also offcourse Loreen in Sweden. Again the most modern and contemporary song failed with the voters. This has become a tradition in Sweden it seems. The sad thing though is that it would have won if someone more famous got to sing it, which proves that Swedes votes for names and not songs.

ParadiseES

I must be the only one, but I don't like Loreen's song. She has great voice, but IMO the song is weak and the coreography and the whole performance was horrible.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Also offcourse Loreen in Sweden. Again the most modern and contemporary song failed with the voters. This has become a tradition in Sweden it seems. The sad thing though is that it would have won if someone more famous got to sing it, which proves that Swedes votes for names and not songs.
I didn't vote for it because I thought the song was bland. Her being a good singer had nothing to do with it. Neither the fact that she looked like a 21st century version of Svenne Hedlund. The song was the weak point and I was apparently not alone in thinking so.

I must be the only one, but I don't like Loreen's song. She has great voice, but IMO the song is weak and the coreography and the whole performance was horrible.
You're not the only one! I completely agree.

Scooby

:rs: Aleksandra Kovač "Idemo dalje"
:se: Nicke Borg "Leaving Home"
:fi: Stala & So "Pamela"
:ee: Ithaka Maria "Hopa pa rei"
:lv: Lauris Reiniks "Banjoi Laura"
:ua: Anastasya Prihodko "Action"
:pt: Nuno Norte - São os barcos de Lisboa or Rui Andrade - Em nome do amor

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Anastasya Prihodko and Nikki Kavanagh.

Simon87