Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Ezio

Veteran
I hope next year, the Dutch broadcasters have a more self-determined approach to Eurovision and don't ask Björkman for advice. I don't think they need it.

anto475

I hope next year, the Dutch broadcasters have a more self-determined approach to Eurovision and don't ask Björkman for advice. I don't think they need it.

I really hope so too. I've hoped this since the 2018 contest. I really really want the 2020 contest to divest away from the Swedish model. Same vague slogan in Gotham font, same blue logo, same stage designer, same graphics, same same same. What makes the contest a delight every year is the difference in hosting from host country to host country. I want to see the Dutch broadcasters really make their mark on it and do something very different to the last four contests.

I also want an end to on-screen overlays. Idk if they were used this year or not but they totally ruined any acts that used them in previous contests. There should be nothing on the TV screen that isn't visible in the live performance, apart from the televoting and song information.

joancamo

Please bring Luxembourg back and Liechtenstein and Kazakhstan to debut :)

Daybreak

The Netherlands has massively contributed to the electronic music world, they should definitely include this as an interval segment. Maybe someone like Ferry Corsten could make an appearance.

ESCConor

Leeuwarden confirmed last night they are interested as well.

There are a lot of decent venues in the Netherlands that could host so It will be interesting to see who will get selected.

I hope it goes to Arnhem or one of the smaller cities.

ESCConor

A bit more information Ive researched about some of the venues.

About Leeuwarden, I believe that they have one the biggest exhibition spaces in the country and have 7 halls.

• Friezenhal (Frisian Hall) 1, 2 and 3 approx. 13,750 sqm in total
• Saksenhal (Saxon Hall) – 8,925 sqm (105 x 85)
• Keltenhal (Celt Hall) – 4,080 sqm (85 x 48)
• Frankenhal (Frank Hall) – 5,700 sqm (60 x 95)
• Batavierenbalkon (Batavians Balcony) – 2,000 sqm
• WTC Passage – 3,500 sqm
• Entresol (Mezzanine) – 1,000 sqm

It is perfectly possible to covert the Frisian Hall into an arena of 10,000 people or more. Other halls could be used for the press centre as well as the green room.

I think the venue in Maastrict is undergoing a major renovation so it may not be possible to host it there.

Reinventor

A bit more information Ive researched about some of the venues.

About Leeuwarden, I believe that they have one the biggest exhibition spaces in the country and have 7 halls.

• Friezenhal (Frisian Hall) 1, 2 and 3 approx. 13,750 sqm in total
• Saksenhal (Saxon Hall) – 8,925 sqm (105 x 85)
• Keltenhal (Celt Hall) – 4,080 sqm (85 x 48)
• Frankenhal (Frank Hall) – 5,700 sqm (60 x 95)
• Batavierenbalkon (Batavians Balcony) – 2,000 sqm
• WTC Passage – 3,500 sqm
• Entresol (Mezzanine) – 1,000 sqm

It is perfectly possible to covert the Frisian Hall into an arena of 10,000 people or more. Other halls could be used for the press centre as well as the green room.

I think the venue in Maastrict is undergoing a major renovation so it may not be possible to host it there.

The director of MECC Maastricht has said that Eurovision is welcome, so I assume the renovation won't be an issue. It will take place in stages, so I guess it's possible to plan around it.

Realest

First Time I entered this Thread and the Björkman-Hate already started.

Citelis

This time they should make sure that jurors understand what they have to do to vote correctly. It can't be that difficult.

cegs5

I’m hopping for a Sieneke iconic moment in the Final or Semis... even Suzy got it in Lisbon, so why not her ❤️

Alaska49

First Time I entered this Thread and the Björkman-Hate already started.
CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP #bjorkmanretirebitch

when it comes to host cities despite having absolutely zero horse in the race (i am brazilian, it would be stupid expensive for me regardless), i am always partial to not doing it in a capital city. #maastricht2020

ESCConor

Ill imagine that the EBU will insist on the following venue requirements.

- A suitable venue that can hold around 10,000 people along with space for a green room (or separate room if necessary)
- An international press centre for 1,500 journalists with adequate facilities for all the delegates.
- good distribution of hotel rooms, at different price categories, able to accommodate at least 2,000 delegates, accredited journalists and spectators.
- An efficient transport infrastructure, including a nearby international airport with readily available connections with the city, venue, and hotels

A-lister

Veteran
How about finally kicking out the juries who are ruining this contest!? What are they bringing ... like really!?

- Only voting for safe generic songs in English - check!
- Treating the contest as an American Idol / The Voice kind of competition rather than a SONG contest where the songs are secondary - check!
- Voting AGAINST cultural and musical diversity , making the contest monotone, safe and boring - check!
- Voting against any joy (Norway 2019 says hello!) and suck out the fun of the contest - check!
- Corrupt - check!
- Voting politically and neighborly, now even worse than televoters , and weren't they put here to stop that? ehm not apparently - check!
- Can't even hold a paper properly - check!

Stop JURYvision , bring back EUROvision !!!

Yorkiemark

Suggestion.
i haven't given this a great deal of thought, but would there be any value in when it comes to the semi finals and final . That there are different running orders to the jury shows and tele voting shows. would this be a logistical problem for the production team. mixing up the running orders will lessen any advantage countries may perceived to have.i know they are "rehearsals but when a song is performed surely makes no difference to the artist. but can make a big difference when it comes to judging them or remembering them.
shoot me now ;-)

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Suggestion.
i haven't given this a great deal of thought, but would there be any value in when it comes to the semi finals and final . That there are different running orders to the jury shows and tele voting shows. would this be a logistical problem for the production team. mixing up the running orders will lessen any advantage countries may perceived to have.i know they are "rehearsals but when a song is performed surely makes no difference to the artist. but can make a big difference when it comes to judging them or remembering them.
shoot me now ;-)

No chance of that happening unfortunately, the tech crews have only 30 seconds between songs generally to swap over stagings so they need this process to be as streamlined as possible.

Top Bottom