Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Ezio

Veteran
I want Evje van Dampen to host the contest!

She is not only beautiful but also very intelligent.

Marriage is a time of crisis, in which you try to resolve your problems together, that you wouldn't have living on your own

A-lister

Veteran
- Juries gone , or their powers reduced to 30-40% , or at least finally make the juries respect the contest for what it is... give them guidelines to vote for musical diversity, songs taking risks, songs representing their cultures etc.
- Comeback of Ukraine, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Turkey, Luxembourg, Andorra and debuts by Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Kosovo <- I know some of these are just dreams but one can still dream
- Allow more people on stage, 8? 10?
- Please no more than 2 hosts (or 2 hosts + 1 green room host if necessary), I found the hosting of the past years dreadful tbh, too many cooks, bad lines, screaming
- Re-introduce random starting-order draw but use genre/style/tempo pots to still make the show flow and become dynamic
- Spokespeople to read out 8-12 points!!! Maybe use split screens showing both the televote and the jury vote of the country which would change the votes to 24 points instead of 12 points for instance xshrug This would be to give equal space and respect to the televotes that are more legitimate anyways.

Citelis

Ukraine will come back anyway and maybe Bulgaria too. That's all. The rest cannot find money or do not care at all.

Brandt

Maybe we should let juries have 50% power to determine qualifiers, but let the televote determine the final scoreboards in the end - both for a good amount of raising ratings and let Europe actually enjoy for what it is.

I am not sure if this is the best idea out there, but it seems better than what we have now for the time being to me.

Mainshow

Veteran
Maybe we should let juries have 50% power to determine qualifiers, but let the televote determine the final scoreboards in the end - both for a good amount of raising ratings and let Europe actually enjoy for what it is.

I am not sure if this is the best idea out there, but it seems better than what we have now for the time being to me.

I'm not so keen on that idea, tbh, the juries haven't really been "professional" by placing Portugal last this year - as well as having Belarus that high and making too many mistakes so that - in the end - Belarus and Denmark did qualify instead of Poland and Lithuania.

Personally, I think that the EBU should ask the juries to rank their Top 10 only instead (since ranking 17 up to 26 countries is way too difficult for them apparently).

To be honest, I'm glad that Norway didn't win. It's a fun track, for sure, but it would have been a very random and trashy winner and I prefer quality entries like The Netherlands and Italy to it.

Mainshow

Veteran
Apparently, Amsterdam has kinda ruled out to end up hosting the Eurovision Song Contest next year.
The mayor said that although it's not illogical to think that Amsterdam would host the contest, she doesn't really want to compete with other cities in something like a battle.
She would like to prefer another city hosting it since Amsterdam is going to host UEFA championship as well as Sail 2020 next year anyway.

https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/29/eurovision20-amsterdam-does-not-want-a-battle-to-host-eurovision/

Reinventor

According to a Dutch radio DJ, "Maastricht is very likely to end up being the host of the Eurovision Song Contest 2020.
Even though it's not 100% sure, he says that a very reliable source from a Dutch broadcaster told him about the "current state of the competition" and Maastricht seems to be the hottest contender.

https://www.1limburg.nl/giel-beelen-songfestival-gaat-naar-maastricht

Woohoo, that's like 10 minutes from my house. But of course Giel Beelen saying that means absolutely nothing hahaha.

Miloutchi

Woohoo, that's like 10 minutes from my house. But of course Giel Beelen saying that means absolutely nothing hahaha.

Hallo medelimburger. =)

I think it will be Rotterdam 2020 though. And I am totally fine with that too.

CPV4931

Hallo medelimburger. =)

I personally hope for Rotterdam 2020, because I have never been to Rotterdam so far, but two times to Amsterdam for EiC, so would be a new city to see :-)
And I am a bit worried about the hotel capacity and the amount of tickets in case of Maastricht hosting.

Reinventor

Hallo medelimburger. =)

Sure Rotterdam is fine too, my in-laws live there lol. But would be nice for a change to take something out of the Randstad.

Mainshow

Veteran
Sure Rotterdam is fine too, my in-laws live there lol. But would be nice for a change to take something out of the Randstad.

It keeps getting better!
You live 10 minutes away from Maastricht, your in-laws in Rotterdam...pretty sure you've become one of our favourite escunited.com members! How many fans can you host? XD

Just kidding.

#TeamVenlo

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I personally hope for Rotterdam 2020, because I have never been to Rotterdam so far, but two times to Amsterdam for EiC, so would be a new city to see :-)
And I am a bit worried about the hotel capacity and the amount of tickets in case of Maastricht hosting.

The Netherlands is such a well connected and densely populated country that you could probably get away with not staying in the city at all, but in the surrounding towns and such. Maybe even the next cities over and just bus/train it in.

Reinventor

The Netherlands is such a well connected and densely populated country that you could probably get away with not staying in the city at all, but in the surrounding towns and such. Maybe even the next cities over and just bus/train it in.

This. Maastricht's hinterland is a big tourist area, plus the cities of Liege in Belgium and Aachen in Germany are close and have direct train connections.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Insert fairytale theme and host it in Kaatsheuvel, thank you very much.

Also, also any bets on the hosting team? Will they take the road of least resistance and just go with Arjen Lubach and Nicolette Kluijver? I would totally be okay with that. (anyone but PdL)

0scar

Insert fairytale theme and host it in Kaatsheuvel, thank you very much.

Also, also any bets on the hosting team? Will they take the road of least resistance and just go with Arjen Lubach and Nicolette Kluijver? I would totally be okay with that. (anyone but PdL)

Hmm I didn't think of Arjen Lubach though. I absolutely hate 'Zondag met Lubach' but I can totally see it's appeal - I just don't think that his style is going to work in English.
Nicolette Kluijver and PdL both went to RTL so they're out of the game as AVROTROS/NPO already confirmed that they will look for hosts within the public broadcasters or people without contract to any television station in NL.

My guess would be that they're considering people like Rik van de Westelaken, Eva Jinek, Dionne Stax. Maybe they'll bring Tim Douwsma back after his 2014 spokeperson success. After Bar Rafaeli, they might got inspired and want Doutzen Kroes? And I wouldn't rule out a role for Duncan and Ilse as well.

I always though Art Rooijakkers would get the gig if we won but he went to RTL as well so I guess not

Oh and also team Maastricht here :lol: Although I'd love Utrecht (of course) and Amsterdam as well, but my gut feeling says it's gonna be Rotterdam in the end. We'll see, I'm curious to see how we'll manage to host!

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Yeah Art Rooiackers would be my slamdunk pick because he's the Måns Zelmerlöw of the hosting world, but since he's no longer on the AVROTROS payroll... smh.

To be honest, I could see Rik van de Westelaken do it, but I found him fairly wooden on Wie is de mol?. He needs a few more years, in plural, to grow into his hosting role. (Then again Nikolaj Koppel is a journalist and he nailed it in 2014.)

Also subscribe me to team anywhere_but_rotterdam because hollanders are LEWD.

Top Bottom