6 4.5%

2 1.5%

7 5.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Belgium-scaled.jpg

tuorem

I've just listened to "Release Me" and I didn't exactly expect that.

It's really cute and definitely in line with the vibe given by "A Matter Of Time" in 2018, while being superior to it imo. I think the melody is really lovely, the nocturnal mood is right up my alley (Hildur Vala's "Fellibylur" from Iceland comes to mind), and the composition does not have "typical Eurovision format" written all over it, which is always good in my book.

However, I fear it might not be that memorable on first listen. Also, I felt it could have been more than what it is, especially in terms of progression, but in hindsight, that was just me reacting in the heat of the moment and having to adapt to the composition's subtleness.

With that being said, this will certainly be a grower for lots of people. Right now, I think it's among the best songs no doubt. Not sure about the impact it will have on Eurovision though :unsure: I pray for a dreamy staging, I think it will need visuals to engage as many viewers as possible, as the song is on the understated side.

edit: OK, just kidding: this is really good (those strings my God!). Lemme give our neighbours 12 points, don't ask me why this is giving me abandoned-bride-singing-on-the-balcony-of-a-haunted-mansion-with-giant-curtains-behind-her teas, I don't drink and don't do drugs I swear.

Last edited:

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
I like it except repeating 5838858347 times 'release me' which is annoying but in general decent and probably best chosen so far after Italy (well it wasn't hard with level of chosen songs hahaha)

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I like it except repeating 5838858347 times 'release me' which is annoying but in general decent and probably best chosen so far after Italy (well it wasn't hard with level of chosen songs hahaha)
Yes that repetitive release me prevents me from giving it 12. A bit annoying at first but I got used to it after 3 listens 😂

Ezio

Veteran
The last time I was so extremely captivated by a song was in March 5, 2017, when I woke in my bed, read the news about Portugal and listened to "Amar pelos dois" for the first time. I needed 10 seconds to warm up with that song but then I couldn't let it go.

This time, with the Belgian entry, the very first note already got me. I am not bound to be released and I don't want to. I submit myself to this song forever.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
This is roughly what I expected, but not what I hoped we would get. Hooverphonic have better, boppier songs and those have always been my main draw to their discography.

The song is good. I don't think anyone questions this. It has legs and for a lowtempo is deceptively catchy. You can argue that the repetitive release me's are bad. They aren't, because they allow you to remember the song after one listen.

But if you think the above paragraph sounds a bit dispassionate, you're right. "Release me" isn't for me. It's a bit too slow to win my heart and requires killer staging to really shine anyway. I love my entries, spectacular, chaotic and wild. This one is tamed and composed. However, if this song came on my spotify playlist, I wouldn't skip it.

A :6: for now.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
oh and this qualifies. It's good, in the second half and so easy to stage even a child could do it.

Sammy

Veteran
It‘s not unpleasant to listen to, but it‘s a bit too repetetive for my taste.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I'm getting something kinda different from my usual twin @RainyWoods. I find this song desperate, dolorous, and aching. Poignant. Where we agree is that I'm absolutely smitten with it. I really think this could become my #1 with further listening. 12 points.

What I will say as well is that I think it could actually be rather tricky to stage in a way that makes how captivating the song is clear.

Iker

Veteran
Well it goes without saying it was always going to have its fans. Especially when you consider the band, there was always a section of the fandom who were gonna be living for this and others that were not. I wouldn't say its a overhyped fanwank. Yet
\

Samanta Tina - Still Breathing is gonna be a fanwank of the season.

Ezio

Veteran
It‘s not unpleasant to listen to, but it‘s a bit too repetetive for my taste.

Dans un pays loin d'ici, à la recherche du paradis,
dans un pays loin d'ici, on chante, on chante
dans un pays loin 'd'ici, loin d'ici, loin d'ici

CPV4931

Not really my cup of tea, but a sure qualifier imo.

Fluke

Alright, so this is retro-alternative and hipster in a way you seldom hear in Eurovision.... technically, there are some elements that should suggest a very promising entry, but to me the whole doesn't really work.... i'm pretty untouched by it, reminds me a lot of Sennek from 2018, which didn't really touch me either, just with a less electronic sound.

Phoenix

This is great. I'm a sucker for this Bond-ish suspense and tension and also like the retro feel. A clear :12:

I wouldn't say it's a surefire qualifier tho. It will do well with the juries, but I don't know if it's instant enough for the public vote. Everything will depend on the performance.

Nicfedy

It’s a good song with dark vibes. Don’t like the unoriginal reference to “losing game”. Not going overboard with it yet. 6 pts

Sammy

Veteran
Dans un pays loin d'ici, à la recherche du paradis,
dans un pays loin d'ici, on chante, on chante
dans un pays loin 'd'ici, loin d'ici, loin d'ici
some repetitions are uplifting, some are boring. ;)
but you got a point here.
as a matter of fact I haven’t had the time so far to listen closely to the song so I can’t really judge it yet.

Ezio

Veteran
some repetitions are uplifting, some are boring. ;)
but you got a point here.
as a matter of fact I haven’t had the time so far to listen closely to the song so I can’t really judge it yet.

And I am talking bout you houuuuuu, you hoooouuuuuuuu uuuu, youhhoooooo uhhhh and the luck you tried to find
you oooooohhhhh hooooooo yooooouuu oohhhh hoouuuu

Lindon

GOOSEBUMPS!

Top Bottom