Contact us

Live đźŹ† NSC ||| THE OSCARS ||| 226 ||| SEMI-FINAL 1 ||| DDL: 3th March

Territrius

I decide AimĂĽlli is back in game! Show is already updated!
I hope now everything goes to plan.
Thank you so much, and once again, I'm sorry that I didn't notice. I know (from very recent experience :D ) how much work hosting is, and I do feel bad that I piled onto that. xrose

Canuck

Just finished my first listen through - love this semi! Lots of bangers here xmetal

takeru

Personal take:

I believe this slots in to the heavily-debated grey area of covers, remixes and samples.

Yes it has that same core melody, but differs in how it’s arranged in the song, particularly structure. And it also differs heavily in its lyrics, theme and source.

If we can allow the recent Xhuxhmaxhuxh entry “Sor”, then I think this one should pass. (But it’s still correct to bring it up - doesn’t hurt to discuss it!)

SpZ

Personal take:

I believe this slots in to the heavily-debated grey area of covers, remixes and samples.

Yes it has that same core melody, but differs in how it’s arranged in the song, particularly structure. And it also differs heavily in its lyrics, theme and source.

If we can allow the recent Xhuxhmaxhuxh entry “Sor”, then I think this one should pass. (But it’s still correct to bring it up - doesn’t hurt to discuss it!)

Allowing Sor was a mistake and only had the support of 14 people on the poll (which wasnt even half the people voting there). I think it is not a legitimate case to take as a precedent.

Not claiming that this should be banned though (although i would also be fine with that), because this is a rather different case here.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
And if we consider it from the point of view of the person that sent this song and also the responsibilities of the host of this edition...

When checking if a song has been sent, I go to the database, search song title. This wouldn't throw up any direct matches here as the song titles are totally different. So no immediate link can be made from song titles or artists.

Also, even if you use that "Who Sampled" website to search for this song, it throws up one sample called "Son Ar Christr" - again, not a match. You would need to click into that song to then see the Rumia entry, which sampled it.

So what's the expectation here for all future entries, as entrants and hosts alike? A quest through multiple pages on that sample site?

dogmeat

I think it's a good case to finally change the covers and remixes rule. As the database is growing, so does the risk of an entry being a cover of a remix of a cover sent 100 editions ago. And the difficulty of checking a song thoroughly is growing exponentially. Sometimes the only way would be to have a council of old farts listen through all entries. It's already 2nd case this edition, but Aimulli was lucky to be discovered early.

I think we need to reopen the discussion on the rule. And not dismiss this case as "let's consider this a sample", because it is not. A sample is a short excerpt, and this is the whole song. Entries have been disqualified for less.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Allowing Sor was a mistake and only had the support of 14 people on the poll (which wasnt even half the people voting there). I think it is not a legitimate case to take as a precedent.
Banning Sor would also have been a mistake for the same reason. But yes, I agree that it's not a legitimate case to take as a precedent, since it was an emergency poll and as such was not subject to the usual level of rigour.

Regardless, I agree with @takeru that Redwood's entry should be allowed (in my personal opinion). It is certainly not an outright cover/remix, since only the core melody is shared with the other song. I also wouldn't want to set the precedent of banning such entries, for the reasons @theditz83 gave.

Having said all this, I would like to stress that despite all of our opinions, the decision ultimately lies with the host.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
And yes, we can reopen discussion on the covers & remixes rule @dogmeat (but that would not affect this specific case, because any rule change would go into effect too late)

dogmeat

I now remembered another case with the same song!

The song below was once tried to be entered by Kordavian Islands, but I don't remember if they were forced to change or if they changed it on their own to avoid controversy

strajker

Waiting Iist of Shelley & Nici has cast its votes for both Semi Finals.

Top Bottom