8 3.8%

20 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

GermanBango

Not Finland, surely???
While I`m not a huge fan of Finland this year either I can still see him grabbing some jury points here and there.
Our schlager-metal-rock-catastrophe though ... anything than a big fat 0 would be a massive surprise.

ollibox

I can't see Germany (or Finland) getting low points from the Jury. At least, nowadays. Even they have evolved a bit, I guess :D
Remember that Måneskin was 4th with Jury points.

Realest

While I`m not a huge fan of Finland this year either I can still see him grabbing some jury points here and there.
Our schlager-metal-rock-catastrophe though ... anything than a big fat 0 would be a massive surprise.

He meant that the Jury from Finland might give Germany a few Points.

HarryUK

Veteran
Nooo I mean Finland should give you jury points haha

GermanBango

I can't see Germany (or Finland) getting low points from the Jury. At least, nowadays. Even they have evolved a bit, I guess :D
Remember that Måneskin was 4th with Jury points.
Well I'll be the first one to admit that I can't stand rock or metal and Italy 2021 is song-wise my least favorite winner of recent years but they were actually really good/authentic live. Same can not be said about out entry this year. Sounds and looks like a nursery home made a trip to the circus. xshrug

Last edited:

GermanBango

Lord of the Lost are authentic and good live, though. It might not be your cup of tea (fair enough, most people will probably not like it) but it´s a well-crafted song in the scope of its "own" genre.
Maybe it is. That I cannot judge but hey, it will surely take more than hardcore gerne fans to end up outside of the bottom 5.

Mainshow

Veteran
Maybe it is. That I cannot judge but hey, it will surely take more than hardcore gerne fans to end up outside of the bottom 5.

It always takes more than German fans of any genre to be outside of the Bottom 5.

I´ve said it before (also last year when a few users claimed that Visions of Atlantis who had applied to represent Austria said that Symphonic Metal wouldn´t make them qualify because it´s a genre not many people like)... Metal is quite popular in Europe.. just look at all the festivals around Europe.

And metal heads are really loyal - also when it comes to merchandise, super/limited deluxe editions, etc. (more so than fans of pop artists or people who attend pop concerts). I can totally see them getting behind Lord Of The Lost this year and voting for them - It might not be enough to be super successful (it´s still a niche genre and some metal heads think that LOTL are too much "pop" anyway) but it´s not a :0: in televoting scenario - especially since there´s no much competition in that genre in May.
You can´t compare the other "rock entries" to LOTL (and some of them won´t even survive the semi finals like Latvia, Ireland, Azerbaijan, San Marino).

Will it be enough to escape Bottom 5? I hope so.. but if not, I´m finally happy that :de: sent someone relevant, successful, well-established act to Eurovision. "Blood & Glitter" finally sounds "German" and not like an Americanised radio-friendly reject.

Let´s give it a try - it can go either way (but I honestly think that LOTL might be sneaking into the televoting Top 15).

GermanBango

It always takes more than German fans of any genre to be outside of the Bottom 5.

I´ve said it before (also last year when a few users claimed that Visions of Atlantis who had applied to represent Austria said that Symphonic Metal wouldn´t make them qualify because it´s a genre not many people like)... Metal is quite popular in Europe.. just look at all the festivals around Europe.

And metal heads are really loyal - also when it comes to merchandise, super/limited deluxe editions, etc. (more so than fans of pop artists or people who attend pop concerts). I can totally see them getting behind Lord Of The Lost this year and voting for them - It might not be enough to be super successful (it´s still a niche genre and some metal heads think that LOTL are too much "pop" anyway) but it´s not a :0: in televoting scenario - especially since there´s no much competition in that genre in May.
You can´t compare the other "rock entries" to LOTL (and some of them won´t even survive the semi finals like Latvia, Ireland, Azerbaijan, San Marino).

Will it be enough to escape Bottom 5? I hope so.. but if not, I´m finally happy that :de: sent someone relevant, successful, well-established act to Eurovision. "Blood & Glitter" finally sounds "German" and not like an Americanised radio-friendly reject.

Let´s give it a try - it can go either way (but I honestly think that LOTL might be sneaking into the televoting Top 15).
I find it interesting how different views can be. While you see the statement in bold as something positive (no shade) I would argue that "sounding German" is exactly the problem of all our recent entries. :LOL:
None of them was particular "Americanized" imo. Each and every one of them sound dated (including this one, sorry). A perfect representation of the German music and society. Just because something is not pop music doesn't mean it's automatically good or daring.

Mainshow

Veteran
I find it interesting how different views can be. While you see the statement in bold as something positive (no shade) I would argue that "sounding German" is exactly the problem of all our recent entries. :LOL:
None of them was particular "Americanized" imo. Each and every one of them sound dated (including this one, sorry). A perfect representation of the German music and society.

That´s the point of Eurovision - at least for me; portraying an aspect of your musical landscape, your culture, your language... Germany falls flat; usually asking foreigners to compose their entries and giving them to newcomers.
They followed the "Western pop/Americanised" sound aiming for some universal appeal.

Lord Of The Lost´s song is different. It doesn´t want to be liked by the general public - but it´s liked enough to get a #1 album in the largest music market in Europe.
Of course, this can still fail (being successful in your home country doesn´t mean you´re automatically successful at Eurovision) but I think it´s the most "appealing to televoting" package we got since Michael Schulte.

Metal and its subgenres might sound dated to people who don´t listen to such music but that´s just how the music sounds like. They don´t follow any trends, pop and metal don´t change simultaneously.
People in the :at: thread also complained about "Symphonic Metal" sounding "dated" - I mean, they involve classic elements, choir, strings.... (I guess it may sound dated because classic music hasn´t changed for centuries).

Sounding "dated" in the metal/alternative/dark rock scene is actually a good thing :D
"Blood & Glitter"; however, got some 80´s synth-pop influences (it might not sound progressive but I think that´s still quite en vogue in modern pop).

Top Bottom