6 2.9%

8 3.8%

20 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

GermanBango

That´s the point of Eurovision - at least for me; portraying an aspect of your musical landscape, your culture, your language... Germany falls flat; usually asking foreigners to compose their entries and giving them to newcomers.
They followed the "Western pop/Americanised" sound aiming for some universal appeal.

Lord Of The Lost´s song is different. It doesn´t want to be liked by the general public - but it´s liked enough to get a #1 album in the largest music market in Europe.
Of course, this can still fail (being successful in your home country doesn´t mean you´re automatically successful at Eurovision) but I think it´s the most "appealing to televoting" package we got since Michael Schulte.

Metal and its subgenres might sound dated to people who don´t listen to such music but that´s just how the music sounds like. They don´t follow any trends, pop and metal don´t change simultaneously.
People in the :at: thread also complained about "Symphonic Metal" sounding "dated" - I mean, they involve classic elements, choir, strings.... (I guess it may sound dated because classic music hasn´t changed for centuries).

Sounding "dated" in the metal/alternative/dark rock scene is actually a good thing :D
"Blood & Glitter"; however, got some 80´s synth-pop influences (it might not sound progressive but I think that´s still quite en vogue in modern pop).
Well fair enough. At least one can tell that you are passionate about all of this. That I have mad respect for.

At the end of the day it really comes down to the actual performance. If they can somehow translate some sort of feeling to the viewer they might as well end up just outside the bottom 5 with the televoters at least. Right now though I will remain skeptical.

midnightsun

Veteran
I would argue that "sounding German" is exactly the problem of all our recent entries. :LOL:

Not in this case. LOTL are one of a bunch of very good German dark metal bands with gothic influences which is unique for Germany. Of course there are bands like LOTL from other countries but Germany is the main country of goth and wave metal.
Scandinavia is more power metal, death metal etc. That’s why I‘m so proud we have them this year. It’s something the bubble and rock music fans can identify with and stand fully behind it.

LOTL can go either way this year.

I believe (and I hope I‘m wrong) we will get zero points from the juries. I can’t see anyone voting for that "dark scary vibe".
Not even Finland. You can’t compare their "amateur" jury in our NF to the one in the GF.

But, if there are any chances to gather some televote points it’s this year. LOTL are not that unknown around the world. Lordi had their fan base too back then and look what they achieved in 2006. Not saying LOTL is as popular as Lordi but Lordi also wasn’t one of the biggest metal bands back then.
I‘m a fan of LOTL for years and have been in some fangroups around the world and I know there are many who like them. The question is: would Metal fans vote in Eurovision? They did that for Lordi. And: will it be enough to get a spot in the top ten with such great "opponents" this year like Finland, Sweden, France, Italy etc.? It will be difficult because it’s not enough to be 11th elsewhere. But it’s possible even if it’s a small chance. They’d deserve s good result so much!

Mainshow

Veteran
Well fair enough. At least one can tell that you are passionate about all of this. That I have mad respect for.

At the end of the day it really comes down to the actual performance. If they can somehow translate some sort of feeling to the viewer they might as well end up just outside the bottom 5 with the televoters at least. Right now though I will remain skeptical.

Yeah, a few German fans are (I guess?) - I know it´s not an act like Helene Fischer OGAE fans would be crazy about but I´m a fan of Dark Rock/Symphonic/Folk/Power Metal and I can assure you that people are already excited about "Blood & Glitter" - I´ve seen quite a few comments on social media as well as metal forums and rock/metal magazines and they´re already advocating for voting for this song (also people from different countries). I´m pretty sure that popular media outlets like WACKEN, SONIC SEDUCER, NAPALM RECORDS, NUCLEAR BLAST, METAL HAMMER, MERA LUNA and many different acts of these genres (like Faun, Warkings, etc.) will ask their fans to vote for :de: / Lord Of The Lost again.

As an avid Eurovision fan, I have to admit that I have NEVER seen such things before and it gives me some hope for the televoting in May. It still might finish Bottom 5 but a German entry before the contest haven´t been that popular prior the contest for a while. I follow all these rock- and metal-related outlets and artists on social media and honestly, I have never seen my timelines to be "so full of Eurovision" like this before (outside the Eurovision bubble, ESC fan pages etc.). I think that´s a good sign.

Before Loreen, :de: was also #11 in that Scoreboard App (and most of them are hardcore Eurovision fans). I really believe we aren´t that "chanceless".

I might come across as an optimistic and passionate fan (which is probably also the case) but I have faith in the metal scene and as I "half-"metal head I know that scene quite well and I can totally see LOTF attracting some votes (or their "associated acts, labels, magazines").

GermanBango

You would loose against @Mainshow anyway, he´s more handsome covered in mud. ;)

Edit: Not that I´ve seen him covered in mud but I can at least imagine that. :LOL:
Honey, everyone and their grandma is more handsome than I am (with or without mud). That's not a standard to go by. :lol:

ollibox

Well I'll be the first one to admit that I can't stand rock or metal and Italy 2021 is song-wise my least favorite winner of recent years but they were actually really good/authentic live. Same can not be said about out entry this year. Sounds and looks like a nursery home made a trip to the circus. xshrug
And you think LOTL could not be good/authentic live? Or Finland? I actually think they both might blow "Zitti e buoni" out of the water with the staging. They MIGHT. Let's be honest. It's a possibility.
To be into rock/metal entries or not, that's another subject imo.
Regarding Germany, I actually think that these nursery-rhyme like lyrics are more of an advantage than disadvantage. The more memorable the song is, I think.
I can humm "Blood and Clitor" anytime, can't say the same about "Zitti e buoni" though :LOL:

midnightsun

Veteran
I believe that Chris' voice is something that might (or might not - hopefully the former ;)) attract viewers. That dark low raw voice is typically German; you rarely hear that in other Metal bands from other countries.
People love it. They usually think of Rammstein when they listen to that kind of voice and Rammstein is popular around the globe. Well, I‘m honest, I‘m not a big fan of Rammstein and Chris' voice is so much better, so soft and soothing when he is singing the slower parts and not that forced harsh "R" Rammstein is known for. That gives me hope people will like it.

GermanBango

And you think LOTL could not be good/authentic live? Or Finland? I actually think they both might blow "Zitti e buoni" out of the water with the staging. They MIGHT. Let's be honest. It's a possibility.
To be into rock/metal entries or not, that's another subject imo.
Regarding Germany, I actually think that these nursery-rhyme like lyrics are more of an advantage than disadvantage. The more memorable the song is, I think.
I can humm "Blood and Clitor" anytime, can't say the same about "Zitti e buoni" though :LOL:
Oh I absolutely think Finland will bring on a good show. i mean, we've already seen what it will probably look like.
I personally can't say the same about Germany. All I saw was some band standing at their instruments in the NF. There was no story being told. Now they might improve the staging till May ... but let's just say I'm not super confident regarding that. Probably they will just throw in some pyro and glitter.

midnightsun

Veteran
Regarding Germany, I actually think that these nursery-rhyme like lyrics are more of an advantage than disadvantage.

Definitely.

Yes, B & G is made for the masses; it’s softer and a bit more pop-like than what they usually do. But it’s not unauthentic. It’s still what they‘ve always been doing: Metal with synth, that‘s why it sounds so soft and mainstream. And their look and growling might be "scary“ enough for a family show so I see why they don’t go in a darker, even more heavy direction. Perfectly fine with me! :-)

ESC94

Oh I absolutely think Finland will bring on a good show. i mean, we've already seen what it will probably look like.
I personally can't say the same about Germany. All I saw was some band standing at their instruments in the NF. There was no story being told. Now they might improve the staging till May ... but let's just say I'm not super confident regarding that. Probably they will just throw in some pyro and glitter.

Well, their song is called "Blood and Glitter" for a reason. ;)

mauve

Veteran
I believe that Chris' voice is something that might (or might not - hopefully the former ;)) attract viewers. That dark low raw voice is typically German; you rarely hear that in other Metal bands from other countries.
People love it. They usually think of Rammstein when they listen to that kind of voice and Rammstein is popular around the globe. Well, I‘m honest, I‘m not a big fan of Rammstein and Chris' voice is so much better, so soft and soothing when he is singing the slower parts and not that forced harsh "R" Rammstein is known for. That gives me hope people will like it.
I watched many reaction videos and almost everyone spoke about his dark, outstanding voice. Many liked this a lot. I am not a Rammstein-Fan either and like Chris' voice so much better. And you couldn't have said it better - his voice is soothing. Love it so much!

ollibox

Agree! I actually thought of this when I first heard the song. So Till Lindemann! :love:
I've been to all Rammstein's concerts in Estonia! The last one (in July last year) was 4th, I think?
I'm with you on that one - people will love his voice. Anyone, who even vaguely fancies the genre, has to love it imo :sneaky:

ollibox

I last voted for Germany 10 years ago and used my maximum amount of votes on Cascada that year too. This was also the last time you were robbed :ROFLMAO:
Oh yes... Cascada! My teen years, how to forget :ROFLMAO: I mean, Cascada 10 years PRIOR their ESC debut.

Top Bottom