• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrm

Veteran
I have listened to all entries, and I rank like this:

1. Patrick Dorgan 9/10 I like the Danish language in this song and the structure of the song is really good..
2. Conf3ssions 9/10 i like how simple and straightforward it is
3. Reddi 8/10 it can work live, I quite liked the visuals on that photo
4. Fuld Effekt 7/10 this was too loud and unpleasent for me at moments, but at some other moments it was interesting, I gave it 7 probably cause it is so different and quite daring..curious about the live..
5. Josie Elinar & Jack Warren 6/10 it is not bad, it just souds so safe and sterile
6. Morten Fillipsen 6/10 hmmm I dunno..
7. Der Var Engang 5/10 meeeh, in the middle, not bad
8. Juncker 5/10 too simple, basic, in a boring way, but not too bad

Unfortunatelly none is 10/10 for me, but my top 2 is really good based on studio versions..
Maybe smth will rise on my list after the live renditions.. :)

aef

Wow it's simply mind-blowing how :dk: completely lost track during the past 2-3 years... I wonder what happened.

Hallelujah is the only possible option though this is also BQ at best. The chorus is annoying as hell though

Funix

:8: maybe :10: - Conf3ssions
:7: - Fuld Effekt
...and the rest...

DR has yet again chosen to launch a 100% danish selection with style, artists and songwriters with "danish" written all over it. Their mission is to please the common viewer in Denmark and embrace the "danish music scene" and not thinking a minute about ESC.
I think DR is totally off track here. I like the overall more mature level of all songs in comparison to some years (fx. 2019) with some songs that sounded like a rushed out demo. The problem is that the level DR can bring in of songs, is just too low to completely block every foreign song project. Where is all the big danish artist? (Patrick Dorgan is a exception). Where is the best song Denmark can put out?

jatojo

The bookmakers say Hallelujah:

Conf3ssions - Hallelujah 26%
Reddi - The Show 24%
Fuld Effekt - Rave med de hårde drenge 17%
Morten Fillipsen - Happy Go Lucky 10%
Patrick Dorgan - Vinden suser ind 10%
Josie Elinor & Jack Warren - Let Me Go 6%
Der Var Engang - En skønne dag 4%
Juncker - Kommet for at blive 4%

Looks plausible imo. Fuld Effekt is probably not mainstream enough to make it through although it's by far the standout entry of this year's competition.

Juncker deserves to end up last, as he makes a grammar error in the very first sentence of his song. ;)

jatojo

Where is all the big danish artist? (Patrick Dorgan is a exception). Where is the best song Denmark can put out?
Denmark doesn't have a group of established artists to pick from, sadly. There is no Allsang culture or anything like it. (That's only for schlagers apparently.) Danish Radio seems kind of ashamed of the Eurovision concept nowadays, and contrary to the 1980's we rarely see well-known artists coming back to compete in consecutive MGP's. It's as if it's bad for your career if you are associated with MGP/Eurovision. Sad.

Funix

I actually hope that Denmark is not going to qualify this year, so DR hopefully can wake up.
Conf3ssions and Fuld Effekt should in a good MGP year just be good "filler" songs and runner-ups

jatojo

Wow it's simply mind-blowing how :dk: completely lost track during the past 2-3 years... I wonder what happened.

Danmark's Radio decided that Melodi Grand Prix should be a competition for Danish artists and Danish songwriters. That's the biggest change. Denmark has often had a Swedish written song to ensure a decent result at Eurovision - when that solution is gone, the selection becomes more "vulnerable".

Betwixt Tales

Danmark's Radio decided that Melodi Grand Prix should be a competition for Danish artists and Danish songwriters. That's the biggest change. Denmark has often had a Swedish written song to ensure a decent result at Eurovision - when that solution is gone, the selection becomes more "vulnerable".
Are we just ignoring the fact that Only Teardrops was written by Danes? (Satellite was also written by a Dane.)

I like that the Danish songs represent what Danish music sounds like ATM. Other countries compete with songs that sound like their region, and they have made the finale. Why is it a bad thing when we do it?

Of course, it's more fun if your country is in the finale, but I honestly don't feel like winning is what it's all about. Sure it's exciting when it happens, but it's also simply about being a part of it.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
1.66 songs in this selection are good, by a stretch. That Conf3ssions song, despite an annoying hook has a pretty good beat and build up. Reddi has a diabolical first minute but then transitions into a pop rock song.

The rest though. No positives come to mind. If this is what passes for "Radio Hits" in Denmark they're in musical hell indeed.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Long story short: The person in charge of selecting the songs is ALSO the person in charge of selection what songs get played on the official radio stations. He wishes to streamline DMGP to provide hits he can play on his radio station (yes. this selection is supposed to pass for radio hits. And you thought Michael Kealy was bad at his job), completely ignoring that none of them would be viable in Eurovision, let alone for the radio in ANY other country. It looks corrupt and convoluted because it is.

Sad, grim and oh so pathetic.

Funix

Denmark doesn't have a group of established artists to pick from, sadly. There is no Allsang culture or anything like it. (That's only for schlagers apparently.) Danish Radio seems kind of ashamed of the Eurovision concept nowadays, and contrary to the 1980's we rarely see well-known artists coming back to compete in consecutive MGP's. It's as if it's bad for your career if you are associated with MGP/Eurovision. Sad.
I will slightly disagree with you. Denmark is obviously not a music powerhouse like Sweden and UK for instance, but we have a broad range of known and established artist that produce popular music (also outside of Denmark) to choose from. The problem is that the artists is often collaborating with people from Scandinavia, Europe or USA AND as you said, MGP/Eurovision has not the best reputation in the danish music industry. These two things narrows the field of potential artists down. But the potential to do a lot more is still there, when you take the two things i consideration - it is just lazy work from DR and the "danish music scene"

jatojo

Are we just ignoring the fact that Only Teardrops was written by Danes? (Satellite was also written by a Dane.)

I like that the Danish songs represent what Danish music sounds like ATM. Other countries compete with songs that sound like their region, and they have made the finale. Why is it a bad thing when we do it?

Of course, it's more fun if your country is in the finale, but I honestly don't feel like winning is what it's all about. Sure it's exciting when it happens, but it's also simply about being a part of it.

When did I say it's a bad thing? I'm just saying that without Lise Cabble and Sweden, Denmark's Eurovision achievements in the last 10-15 years would have been much less impressive. It's not like in Norway, Finland or Sweden where they have 4-5 songs that would easily qualify each year.

Year after year, Danmarks Radio emphasized they had high hopes for Denmark at Eurovision. They should have explained it more clearly that they suddenly wanted to change this approach and accept a much bigger risk of not qualifying. As I see it, Denmark might end up as some of the Balkan countries that rarely qualify - unless something is done to improve the input.

Betwixt Tales

I will slightly disagree with you. Denmark is obviously not a music powerhouse like Sweden and UK for instance, but we have a broad range of known and established artist that produce popular music (also outside of Denmark) to choose from. The problem is that the artists is often collaborating with people from Scandinavia, Europe or USA AND as you said, MGP/Eurovision has not the best reputation in the danish music industry. These two things narrows the field of potential artists down. But the potential to do a lot more is still there, when you take the two things i consideration - it is just lazy work from DR and the "danish music scene"
If Tobias and Andreas competed with Stor Mand... That would have been very interesting!

To those who don't know it - here you go: :)

Betwixt Tales

When did I say it's a bad thing? I'm just saying that without Lise Cabble and Sweden, Denmark's Eurovision achievements in the last 10-15 years would have been much less impressive. It's not like in Norway, Finland or Sweden where they have 4-5 songs that would easily qualify each year.

Year after year, Danmarks Radio emphasized they had high hopes for Denmark at Eurovision. They should have explained it more clearly that they suddenly wanted to change this approach and accept a much bigger risk of not qualifying. As I see it, Denmark might end up as some of the Balkan countries that rarely qualify - unless something is done to improve the input.
It sure sounds like you think it's a bad thing. So...

jatojo

It sure sounds like you think it's a bad thing. So...

With the current level, it's a bad thing. The songs are not strong enough. So something should be done to change it.

But the concept of making it a national championship is great. I just wish that all countries did that. If San Marino go and buy foreign music, and the Danes don't, then the Danes will lose out in the long run. It's like if you have a football club and only use players from your own breeding. It will make it difficult to remain competitive.

Betwixt Tales

With the current level, it's a bad thing. The songs are not strong enough. So something should be done to change it.

But the concept of making it a national championship is great. I just wish that all countries did that. If San Marino go and buy foreign music, and the Danes don't, then the Danes will lose out in the long run. It's like if you have a football club and only use players from your own breeding. It will make it difficult to remain competitive.
I think we did pretty well in this past summer's EUFA Cup. :cool:
No, I understand what you mean. :p I just have faith that songs written by Danes are just as good and can do just as well in the competition as songs written by any others. Michael Schulte came in 4th in '18, and he'd written his song with a Dane.

shameless

But when was the last time someone has won where a part of the composing / texting team was actually a member not from the winning country? We have to go back to 2014 for that! A year before Denmark won the last time. And Denmark btw has also always won with an all-dane-team. I think the fact that so many Swedes being internationally involved in other countries entries = success is a myth as it also doesn't reflect only a tiny bit on good placements. Of course sometimes we have people like Ralph Siegel, Boris Manilov etc. who try out for different countries and find some success but they're also not successful very often.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
not-bad-honestly-hannah.gif

Rave Med De Hårde Drenge performed by Fuld Effekt
Happy Go Lucky performed by Morten Fillipsen
The Show performed by REDDI
En Skønne Dag performed by Der Var Engang
Kommet For At Blive performed by Juncker

Let Me Go performed by Josie Elinor and Jack Warren
Hallelujah performed by CONF3SSIONS

Vinduen Suser Ind performed by Patrick Dorgan

jatojo

But when was the last time someone has won where a part of the composing / texting team was actually a member not from the winning country? We have to go back to 2014 for that! A year before Denmark won the last time. And Denmark btw has also always won with an all-dane-team. I think the fact that so many Swedes being internationally involved in other countries entries = success is a myth as it also doesn't reflect only a tiny bit on good placements. Of course sometimes we have people like Ralph Siegel, Boris Manilov etc. who try out for different countries and find some success but they're also not successful very often.

The international songwriters can raise the level of a national selection. If the songs are mediocre, it helps to have one or two songs with international quality. The international songs may be lacking some originality, and that's one of the reason why having a Swedish written song isn't a guarantee of winning Eurovision, but it means a lot for a country like Denmark to be able to qualify for the final. Songs like "Yes", "In A Moment Like This" and "Higher Ground" were big successes - and written by Swedes.

Denmark has basically had one good Eurovision songwriter in recent years, and that's Lise Cabble. But she can't be there every year - or she might be unlucky and see her song performed badly on stage.

I personally like it a lot when a country sends an ethnic song, one with a sound that is - to a certain degree at least - specific for that part of Europe. And several of those songs have done well at Eurovision. Denmark doesn't produce many of those songs. I don't know if they should try it more. I'm just saying that if Danmarks Radio only want Danish artists and songwriters, it comes at a price.

Top Bottom