20 10.1%

20 10.1%

15 7.5%

16 8.0%

15 7.5%

48 24.1%

• Total voters

Realest

She cried so much following her NQ that I thought she would blame Europe for all the hatred that some countries have towards Russia, but she didn't. Julia seems so gentle, she didn't deserve to represent her country with such a difficult song to perform. :(

She didnt deserve to represent her Country with any Song :)

Sammy

Veteran
She cried so much following her NQ that I thought she would blame Europe for all the hatred that some countries have towards Russia, but she didn't. Julia seems so gentle, she didn't deserve to represent her country with such a difficult song to perform. :(

What exactly is so difficult about the song? The high parts were sung by the backing vocalists mainly, the rest is fairly easy to sing. Or are you referring to her personal difficulties with english songs in general?

John1

What exactly is so difficult about the song? The high parts were sung by the backing vocalists mainly, the rest is fairly easy to sing. Or are you referring to her personal difficulties with english songs in general?

I was referring to her illness, from which she suffers. :)

Chorizo

jesus christ the artists representing Russia do not represent the political Russia

Sure, just like Polina Gagarina, who sang about peace in 2015 and joined the #PutinTeam this year...

vavera4ka

The Reason why Albania often give 12 Points to Italy is because Albanian People love Italian Music and Italy is Main-Travelgoal for Albanian Emmigrants. This is no political. But Belarus and Azerbaijan very often give 12 Points to Russia nomatter how Famous or Unfamous the Russian Artists are and although the Russian Songs are random and have nothing to do with the Country Russia. The Same Song could Represent Netherlands and the belarussian/azeri Juries wouldnt give 12 Points. I mean look at 2004,05,14 and tell me those 12 Points from Belarus to Russia had anything to do with Music..

The Reason why Belarus often give 12 Points to Russia is because Belarusian People love Russian Music and Russia is Main-Travelgoal for Belarusian Emmigrants. This is no political. But Albania very often give 12 Points to Italy nomatter how Famous or Unfamous the Italian Artists are and although the Italian Songs are random and have nothing to do with the Country Italy.

here, it works this way too.

For the record, I don't mind neighbor voting very much.
It is logical. that for example Montenegro would give 12 points to Serbia, cause they have similar taste and language. The entries speak to them.
Also Russia hasn't really sent "unpopular" artists... the most unpopular probably were the twins. The rest were either already big stars in exUSSR countries, or winners of Russian Voice, that Belarus tunes into every week, just like Russia.

What I hate more in the last few years is not diaspora vote, but a blatant vote against the direct competition. There are 3-4-5 favs every year and it looks like more and more of those favs give as little to each other as possible.

Realest

The Reason why Belarus often give 12 Points to Russia is because Belarusian People love Russian Music and Russia is Main-Travelgoal for Belarusian Emmigrants. This is no political. But Albania very often give 12 Points to Italy nomatter how Famous or Unfamous the Italian Artists are and although the Italian Songs are random and have nothing to do with the Country Italy.

here, it works this way too.

For the record, I don't mind neighbor voting very much.
It is logical. that for example Montenegro would give 12 points to Serbia, cause they have similar taste and language. The entries speak to them.
Also Russia hasn't really sent "unpopular" artists... the most unpopular probably were the twins. The rest were either already big stars in exUSSR countries, or winners of Russian Voice, that Belarus tunes into every week, just like Russia.

What I hate more in the last few years is not diaspora vote, but a blatant vote against the direct competition. There are 3-4-5 favs every year and it looks like more and more of those favs give as little to each other as possible.

As I said, Italy always sings in their Language and brings SOngs that have anything to do with their Own Musicculture. But Songs like "Shine", "believe me", "Nobody hurts noone" or "Lost and Forgotten" have nothing to do with Russia, so there is no Justification to give 12 Points to Russia, while those 12 Points from Albania to Italy were all justified.

wtf

https://www.reddit.com/r/eurovision/comments/8kkaax/julia_samoylova_wanted_to_withdraw_from/

Read the article and the Reddit comments, which gives even more insight. Makes me cry. I want Yulia to be given another chance by some other country. I'm so sorry for what she had to go through. :(

At least she's smarter than the delegation. I loved her comment of how Eurovision is about music, not family values. Also, seeing her dancing to Ukraine's song and Jessica talking to her.. at least she experienced the support of other musicians from other nations. xheart Be strong, girl!

pras

Nobody hurts noone is probably the most Russian entry ever sent by Russia till now.

musicfan

As I said, Italy always sings in their Language and brings SOngs that have anything to do with their Own Musicculture. But Songs like "Shine", "believe me", "Nobody hurts noone" or "Lost and Forgotten" have nothing to do with Russia, so there is no Justification to give 12 Points to Russia, while those 12 Points from Albania to Italy were all justified.

If they are Russian singers they will still come from the music culture they are used to so they may well have heard of them before.

vavera4ka

The only thing that's Italian about Occidentalis karma is language (ok and singer)
The only thing that's not Russian about Lost and Forgotten and those basic songs is language. You could have at least left out Peter Nalich. lol you'll never win the "it's not Russian" argument with this one. Even if it's sung in every language, except Russian
but thanks for playing.
Also, Nataliya Podolskaya was born and raised in Belarus. So it was not a neighbor vote. Each country would jump at the opportunity to vote "for itself", even if it's another country.

kayak

Studio version was good, but live performance not. She was adorable, but thats all.

pyryniemi

All of those songs sound very Russian imo (unlike 2011, 2013, 2015...)

Mainshow

Veteran
5 pts - actually, I quite like the studio version even thought the song itself was a bit uneventful. The live performance was painful to watch. I was glad Russia didn't make it to the final. Totally deserved.

tuorem

She didn't give up, the last sentence was adorable.

Damn, she belted that out and gave us some freestyle variations during the second part of the song :eek:

Actually, that makes me even more sad they gave her this song. I truly believe she would have qualified with her own material or a more fitting composition she would have been at ease with.

John1

Damn, she belted that out and gave us some freestyle variations during the second part of the song :eek:

Actually, that makes me even more sad they gave her this song. I truly believe she would have qualified with her own material or a more fitting composition she would have been at ease with.

She doesn't perform as badly as most of people could actually believe. I do think that they should have allowed her to sing it in Russian or whatever, she would've been through.

tuorem

I don't mean to rub salt in an old wound, but I randomly started re-listening to Samoylova and I'm still sad the Russian team did absolutely everything they could to not qualify in 2018.

More than giving her a manufactured entry (from their same tired songwriters) she couldn't sing properly and unsuitable staging that did her no justice, rejecting all her own songs was a clear sign they wanted a car crash to happen.

Samoylova could have sung her own material that 1) doesn't require vocal belts or gymnastics and 2) is way more modern, edgy and catchy than anything Russia has sent this whole decade.

I wanted her to sing something moody along the lines of "Taken By A Stranger", and it turns out she released exactly what I wanted right after the contest. I bet that song was among the ones she submitted for Lisbon. Her material is right up my alley.

What a wasted opportunity for once we had an artist with an interesting musical personality. It's also a loss for the Russian team who could have avoided a failure had they played their cards right, but I guess they are out of touch with anything out of the musical-theatre song/Kirkorov-schlager/X-factor ballad mould.

Apart from Samoylova's dream being crushed, which I'm sad about because she couldn't show her artistry at all, my endless rant about the people in charge still stands: there are so many talents in their country that could rejuvenate Russia in the contest, but instead we are given tired soulless music from the same old teams that is just decent enough to come top 10. I don't believe for a hot second Russia can win again - in this day and age with juries involved - by not re-thinking their approach. At first, I thought they were desperate to get a second victory, but apparently not, or does one have to be part of the broadcasters' tiny clan to be considered worthy? They're wasting everyone's time with their narrow-minded antiquated ideas about what to send to the contest imo.

Top Bottom