16 8.3%

21 10.9%

14 7.3%

14 7.3%

13 6.8%

27 14.1%

• Total voters

mykka

Well, if that's true you can never expect success in Eurovision. And there is no one else to be blamed but your broadcaster for failures year after year.

Portugal doesn't need famous singers with long careers. It needs good producers that know what people want: good modern well produced music. Then they can tag along some random singer that is competent. Unfortunately RTP is stuck with the same old crappy producers every year, same old juries every year, and that's why we fail. Its no wonder there is a big disconnect from the portuguese general public and our national selection - people dont watch because they know the songs are not great and that we wont do well.

ag89

Portugal doesn't need famous singers with long careers. It needs good producers that know what people want: good modern well produced music. Then they can tag along some random singer that is competent. Unfortunately RTP is stuck with the same old crappy producers every year, same old juries every year, and that's why we fail. Its no wonder there is a big disconnect from the portuguese general public and our national selection - people dont watch because they know the songs are not great and that we wont do well.

That's exactly what I was talking about.

;)

mykka

That's exactly what I was talking about.

;)

I thought you were implying we needed our famous singers to try out. That wouldn't necessarily work because a lot of them are targetted to the portuguese crowd and not the european one.

lightcity

sorry but I disagree! are you telling me that Vânia in 2008 was bad? are you telling that the crap music of Dima Bilan from Russia was much better than Vania? or maybe the crap Ukraine 2008?

ag89

I thought you were implying we needed our famous singers to try out. That wouldn't necessarily work because a lot of them are targetted to the portuguese crowd and not the european one.

Nope, I just put the link of one Portuguese singer, I don't know if he is famous, but song is beautiful, sang in Portuguese and at the same time very modern. I have never heard something like that from Portugal in Eurovision.

Having a big star doesn't have to mean anything of course: we can take a look at the Netherlands this year or Belgium in 2006. Both big stars but failed to qualify.

lightcity

Well, if that's true you can never expect success in Eurovision. And there is no one else to be blamed but your broadcaster for failures year after year.
right! and that is why I thing we need to withdraw! now you can understand my position no?

ag89

RTP made bad work in this, even so, the way that esc work don't give to Portugal any change to be in top 3 at least! maybe when fishes of the ocean can vote :)

I cannot agree on that. Yes, Portugal doesn't have a block (there is only Spain) and few countries with diaspora (like Switzerland), but Austria and the Netherlands also don't have blocks and they came 1st and 2nd last year although they are normally unsuccesful just like Portugal.

Every country can win, even Portugal.

lightcity

Nope, I just put the link of one Portuguese singer, I don't know if he is famous, but song is beautiful, sang in Portuguese and at the same time very modern. I have never heard something like that from Portugal in Eurovision.

Having a big star doesn't have to mean anything of course: we can take a look at the Netherlands this year or Belgium in 2006. Both big stars but failed to qualify.
you don't know but I will tell you: that music was made by a fantastic portuguese group call Madredeus, it is one of the best we have in the type of music whic is very portuguese, and again Let me tell you that MadreDeus never, but never will give opportunity to RTP to send anything to Esc!

ag89

right! and that is why I thing we need to withdraw! now you can understand my position no?

So, every country that fails should withdraw?! That doesn't make any sense.

Nope, Portugal shouldn't withdraw. Just change your national selection and your Eurovision team.

lightcity

I cannot agree on that. Yes, Portugal doesn't have a block (there is only Spain) and few countries with diaspora (like Switzerland), but Austria and the Netherlands also don't have blocks and they came 1st and 2nd last year although they are normally unsuccesful just like Portugal.

again and again: Austria last year won with diaspora gay!! and Austria is in the middle of Europe !! hello???

lightcity

So, every country that fails should withdraw?! That doesn't make any sense.

Nope, Portugal shouldn't withdraw. Just change your national selection and your Eurovision team.

every country that fails? give me the name of one more country that fails 56 years....can you give me? I don't think! and do you really believe that in 56 years Portugal never sent a song with quality even with a great quality?

lightcity

ahah...that is a joke!! good joke! thanks

ag89

again and again: Austria last year won with diaspora gay!! and Austria is in the middle of Europe !! hello???

Wrong.
150 million people watch Eurovision, some of viewers are probably gay. Second, Austria doesn't have diaspora and their neighbours normally don't vote for them /go back and check year after year. If they have diaspora how is possible they had failed before Conchita?! Your argument doesn't have any strong basis/

mykka

Dramatic much? Obviously Conchita was a gimmick, but plenty of countries use them and fail. It worked because the song was decent and she could sing great. If the song was total crap it wouldn't have won and never that convincingly

JackBauer

every country that fails? give me the name of one more country that fails 56 years....can you give me? I don't think! and do you really believe that in 56 years Portugal never sent a song with quality even with a great quality?

Well to be fair, since I started following eurovision in 1997, Portugal sent only 3 really good songs for me. 2003,2008 and 2009. Unfortunately the three of them were severely damaged by atrocious draws.

ag89

Austria
Finland until Lordi (came last 8 times)
the Netherlands (waited for 30+ years to reach top 3)
France (won long time ago and now is not able to reach top 10 for years)
Switzerland (won long time ago)

Should I continue?!

mykka

They are (were) quite a unique band with lots of international success at the time - the song is old though, from the 90s. I guess its timeless beauty.

Top Bottom