ahaha...all of those won at least one time:
The Netherland:4 times,
Finland : one
France: 5 times
Switzerland : 3 times

all of those had many top 3

Portugal: never won and never was in top 3

do you want more?

Your big mistake here is that you are comparing results achieved during a very different period of music and politics. Except for those last wins from Finland and Austria, no other win here is from recent years... A lot of them won because, at that time, politics and interests speaked louder than europe's voice. AT THAT TIME. After it, all of those counties has suffered from bad results for years until they succeed. Of course some of that still exists, but not even close in relevance.

If neighbouring and diaspora NOWADAYS were the biggest winning factor, then how come these countries stayed so many years finishing last place and out of the final?

It's a music contest... and music evolves. People's tastes change. You can't analyse recent years based on 56 years... the mentalities and the conjucture of it all were completely different from those of today. If you want to analyse you have to see recent years and current tendencies. If we're not able (yet) to adapt then it's not europe's fault... it's ours

lacrymea

And what that guy was saying? I'm curious.

He pretty much bashed all the songs in semi one. He thought Estonia was very weak (and it's my favourite, so i got instantly mad :lol:), made fun about Bojana's appearance, made rude remarks on Romania and Georgia outfits... and so on.

Portuguese esc fans raged about it that night so he was fairly behaved during semi 2 :lol: Anyway, it's like that guy said: for someone who continuosly show ignorance on how to produce decent entries for ESC, he should just humble up.

ag89

He pretty much bashed all the songs in semi one. He thought Estonia was very weak (and it's my favourite, so i got instantly mad :lol:), made fun about Bojana's appearance, made rude remarks on Romania and Georgia outfits... and so on.

Portuguese esc fans raged about it that night so he was fairly behaved during semi 2 :lol: Anyway, it's like that guy said: for someone who continuosly show ignorance on how to produce decent entries for ESC, he should just humble up.

I believe after failing so many times in Eurovision people just feel angry... I guess he was sure Portugal will fail again so that's why he did it. And also, people expect to hear bad comments about Eurovision songs every year even though standard has drastically changed on better. If we go back that commentator did exactly what Terry Wogan was doing every single time when the UK failed (and that was basically every year since 2003 :D ).

lacrymea

I believe after failing so many times in Eurovision people just feel angry... I guess he was sure Portugal will fail again so that's why he did it. And also, people expect to hear bad comments about Eurovision songs every year even though standard has drastically changed on better. If we go back that commentator did exactly what Terry Wogan was doing every single time when the UK failed (and that was basically every year since 2003 :D ).

I agree. Our commentator kept predicting who would join US in the finals as if it were a done deal already :lol: But yeah, given the fact our chances were pretty much none, maybe it was just his frustration comming out.

bbm099

Yeah i guess that happens. The thing with him is that he truly believed Portugal would qualify... He even said, if i recall, he was expecting for Saturday so Portugal could rip Estonia appart in the final. I mean... if that's not delusion...

lacrymea

Yeah i guess that happens. The thing with him is that he truly believed Portugal would qualify... He even said, if i recall, he was expecting for Saturday so Portugal could rip Estonia appart in the final. I mean... if that's not delusion...

THIS! This was the comment that made me go xshockxshockxshock
"I just hope Estonia makes the final so that WE can rip them apart"???? Who the hell is WE? The portuguese generic entry that no one was talking or cared about? The portuguese fans? (it actually came 2nd among our main ESC site readers and i hope we give them points tonight) Or worst: the portuguese juri?

I mean, talk about being delusional. Or completely misinformed for that matter.

Musicosity

I have just seen that Germany has placed Portugal at 10th place in the semi. If it were for us, you would have been in. Makes me very happy.

Don't lose faith! xlove

mykka

So the votes were:

12 Italy
10 Russia
8 Sweden
7 Israel
6 Norway
5 Belgium
4 Romania
3 Spain
2 Latvia
1 Estonia

musicfan

The Estonian song sounded very flat in feeling in the chorus to me, very plain and dull. I never understood the hype at all.

mykka

Ratings are in:

1999 1,890.500 (55.2% share)
2000 456.000 (27.3% share) *did not participate / broadcast after 11pm
2001 845.500 (26.7% share)
2002 636.500 (25.7% share) *did not participate
2003 1,168.500 (36.4% share)
2004 893.000 (28.8% share)
2005 930.500 (33.4% share)
2006 997.500 (30.1% share)
2007 931.000 (28.5% share)
2008 1,716.000 (46.7% share)
2009 1,299.000 (37.5% share)
2010 1,285.000 (39.1% share)
2011 640.000 (19.6% share)
2012 617.500 (15.8% share)
2013 579.500 (13.5% share) *did not participate
2014 541.500 (13.5% share)
2015 503.500 (13.2% share)

lightcity

Or better yet: send an appropriate song! Flor-de-Lis and Vânia were rrrreally gorgeous. Vânia had won, had there been only a professional jury. You wanna win? Send a song in English made by Swedish which tells nothing about the Portuguese music scene. You'll get better results. Winning? Difficult, but not impossible! Look Austria, a country with no special ties to other groups of countries.
what ou said don´t make any sense: you said you like a lot Vania Fernandes and flor de Lis and that you said " send a song in english made by swedish.....this doesn´t mach at all!!

lightcity

Your big mistake here is that you are comparing results achieved during a very different period of music and politics. Except for those last wins from Finland and Austria, no other win here is from recent years... A lot of them won because, at that time, politics and interests speaked louder than europe's voice. AT THAT TIME. After it, all of those counties has suffered from bad results for years until they succeed. Of course some of that still exists, but not even close in relevance.

If neighbouring and diaspora NOWADAYS were the biggest winning factor, then how come these countries stayed so many years finishing last place and out of the final?
It's a music contest... and music evolves. People's tastes change. You can't analyse recent years based on 56 years... the mentalities and the conjucture of it all were completely different from those of today. If you want to analyse you have to see recent years and current tendencies. If we're not able (yet) to adapt then it's not europe's fault... it's ours

My big mistake?? a haha...I thing the mistake is yours and not mine: you said " big mistake here is that you are comparing results achieved during a very different period of music and politics. Except for those last wins from Finland and Austria, no other win here is from recent years... A lot of them won because, at that time, politics and interests speaked louder than europe's voice. AT THAT TIME..." you really think that is just at that time the those type of things occurs? and what about now? what about the strong process of blocking votes and diaspora? this is the worst problem for Portugal in the actual scenario os ESC and the same happen to Spain: in the last years at least 2 very strong songs from Spain had terrible results; 2015 and Pastora Soler ( this one for me is one of the best entries in ESC for the last 15 years!!)!! I am tell you: don't stay in dreams thinking that one day Portugal will win, this will never happen unless the voting process changes in ESC! Never!! I really do not believe, and that, is the reason I want my country out of this! we don't have just one problem of RTP and bad professionalism related to esc, for me and with proves ( Tania, Flor de Lis and Lucia Moniz at least) the big big problem is in fact the voting system and our geographical position in Europe!!
In 2015 again Russia in top 3...this is again a crap song like dima was in 2012....but the system, give them millions of votes!!

bbm099

My big mistake?? a haha...I thing the mistake is yours and not mine: you said " big mistake here is that you are comparing results achieved during a very different period of music and politics. Except for those last wins from Finland and Austria, no other win here is from recent years... A lot of them won because, at that time, politics and interests speaked louder than europe's voice. AT THAT TIME..." you really think that is just at that time the those type of things occurs? and what about now? what about the strong process of blocking votes and diaspora? this is the worst problem for Portugal in the actual scenario os ESC and the same happen to Spain: in the last years at least 2 very strong songs from Spain had terrible results; 2015 and Pastora Soler ( this one for me is one of the best entries in ESC for the last 15 years!!)!! I am tell you: don't stay in dreams thinking that one day Portugal will win, this will never happen unless the voting process changes in ESC! Never!! I really do not believe, and that, is the reason I want my country out of this! we don't have just one problem of RTP and bad professionalism related to esc, for me and with proves ( Tania, Flor de Lis and Lucia Moniz at least) the big big problem is in fact the voting system and our geographical position in Europe!!
In 2015 again Russia in top 3...this is again a crap song like dima was in 2012....but the system, give them millions of votes!!

So... in 20 years you can think of only 3 good portuguese entries and you say it's not about bad professionalism, bad taste and poor effort from RTP? I mean, that alone shows that i'm right about that part, even if you cannot admit so.

And i did not said politics don't interfere with results nowadays. If you read all i wrote, you'll see that i believe those thing occurs right now... just not with the same weight. Not even close... If that was the case then Russia would not receive 12 points from Germany and all those 10's and 8's from western and nordic countries. Not even close, and just to give you a current example. That exists, yes, but does not define anymore the way results go as it did years ago. It's not even a matter of discussion, it's a fact. There are examples of it and even the voting system is set to prevent those kind of situations.

And you did not said Russia was crap this year and they only achieve top3 because of politics, diaspora and neighbouring! They are the most hated country in europe right now and they received scores from 8 to 12 by 10 western/nordic countries, ourselves included... The song was clearly one of the standouts of the final to all europe, yet you think they got top3 only because it's Russia. At least give us proper arguments to sustain your idea because that made no sense at all.

If you still stand by what you said, then i rest my case as it's absolutely pointless to reason with you. It's like you are observing something inside a cube, but you are only observing it through the same side, refusing to see through all other 5.

Just for curiosity... what's the right voting system to prevent everything you are saying is wrong? I guess you have one, right?

Milos-BC

One of the weakest songs this year. It screamed "non-qualifier" all the way through. Leonor gave her best, but it wasn't enough.

:pt: needs and must have a much stronger song than this.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I felt a little bad for Leonor since the performance at the jury semi that she gave after the technical mishap was far, far worse than the one she gave before.

lightcity

So... in 20 years you can think of only 3 good portuguese entries and you say it's not about bad professionalism, bad taste and poor effort from RTP? I mean, that alone shows that i'm right about that part, even if you cannot admit so.

And i did not said politics don't interfere with results nowadays. If you read all i wrote, you'll see that i believe those thing occurs right now... just not with the same weight. Not even close... If that was the case then Russia would not receive 12 points from Germany and all those 10's and 8's from western and nordic countries. Not even close, and just to give you a current example. That exists, yes, but does not define anymore the way results go as it did years ago. It's not even a matter of discussion, it's a fact. There are examples of it and even the voting system is set to prevent those kind of situations.

And you did not said Russia was crap this year and they only achieve top3 because of politics, diaspora and neighbouring! They are the most hated country in europe right now and they received scores from 8 to 12 by 10 western/nordic countries, ourselves included... The song was clearly one of the standouts of the final to all europe, yet you think they got top3 only because it's Russia. At least give us proper arguments to sustain your idea because that made no sense at all.

If you still stand by what you said, then i rest my case as it's absolutely pointless to reason with you. It's like you are observing something inside a cube, but you are only observing it through the same side, refusing to see through all other 5.

Just for curiosity... what's the right voting system to prevent everything you are saying is wrong? I guess you have one, right?

Sorry but I haven't said RTP didn´t made a bad work in 20 years....yes they made a bad work in a lot a times, but at least 3 years they made a good job, and the results were so poor as in the remaining years of bad work and again ( sorry to be repeating the same) because of diaspora, blocking votes etc etc... so, resuming all, we have bad results in both cases and that is the reason I think Portugal need to withdraw from ESC...this contest is not our place and ...we have 50 years of history as the best justification for been out!
you have asked what is the right voting system in my view? well there are not any system completely perfect but I am sure there are some where the risk of diaspora etcetc can be minimize, for ex: why not a Jury out of Europe which countries are not in the contest but with members recognized as the best professionals in those groups? for ex. from Countries in America ( North, central, south) or Oceania....it is a solution were the impact of diaspora and blocking votes can be minimize a lot, no?

GRE

Next year Portugal, come please with something really good.
You had interesting options this year, but....

Sammy

Veteran
It's about time that Portugal looses their looser image! I want to hear those words so badly: "See you next year in Lisboa!

Top Bottom