7 5.0%

6 4.3%

7 5.0%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
United-Kingdom-scaled.jpg

Chrisiam

It is entirely possible that, much like the following of Newman itself if we are honest, is coincidental. Whilst I can see JLS may be performing there I can't see them doing Eurovision. Not because I don't think they are good for it but, as I said when they were first mooted as a possibility that aren't with BMG and I'd imagine that both they and BMG (Or their label if they are working with BMG) wouldn't release a single (which is what their Eurovision song would be) several months ahead of them potentially putting out a new album ahead of their tour. Sure, a single might come out a month, two months ahead of the single at a push but six or seven months? Feels like a push.

I imagine whoever it is that is being revealed they'll have an album to promote in addition to their Eurovision song which it will be a track off of.

Phoenix

John Newman would be cool! I wish he saved Come and Get It for this, that song deserved much more attention.

Romeo

You're all going to look so silly when they reveal that its Alberta's comeback

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I can't listen to John Newman's voice. He's filed right next to Sam Smith in my brain. A locker containing the most unbearably forced, annoying singing voices imaginable. He has that whole hot potato swirling around the mouth thing going on that I absolutely loathe. I tried refamiliarising myself with his music as it has been a while since I've heard him, but I simply couldn't get through the songs.

Having said that. An established artist is exactly what we need right now. When have we ever gotten a singer at the contest that can boast three quarters of a billion views on not just one but multiple music videos? If they've got him, it's a huge catch and we'd probably be looking at a very likely win. I'd just have to continue on as a Sammarinese citizen for another year. It's not music I like at all, but it's the exact kind I know we've had the power to send for years, and could have gotten a win with by now if we'd actually ever, you know... tried.

Last edited:

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
@RainyWoods i am sure you have already packed your lullage and bought a ticket to Rimini, but i have to dissapoint you, UK winning is almost impossible with John tragic lives, at least if he didnt work over them for years of absence

I still think that would be a good choice but i think they just announce Nanne as UK representative tomorrow xheat

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I can't listen to John Newman's voice. He's filed right next to Sam Smith in my brain. A locker containing the most unbearably forced, annoying singing voices imaginable. He has that whole hot potato swirling around the mouth thing going on that I absolutely loathe. I tried refamiliarising myself with his music as it has been a while since I've heard him, but I simply couldn't get through the songs.

Having said that. An established artist is exactly what we need right now. When have we ever gotten a singer at the contest that can boast three quarters of a billion views on not just one but multiple music videos? If they've got him, it's a huge catch and we'd probably be looking at a very likely win. I'd just have to continue on as a Sammarinese citizen for another year. It's not music I like at all, but it's the exact kind I know we've had the power to send for years, and could have gotten a win with by now if we'd actually ever, you know... tried.

This is exactly my opinion. It's a conflicting choice (if it is him ofc) because his voice drives me insane, but then there is your entire 2nd paragraph. Truth be told, I could probably get behind him because the pros outweigh the cons by an absolute mile. Unless ofc the song is shit.

theditz83

Veteran
I like John Newman - really enjoyed his song with Sigala "Give Me Your Love" - that was a hot bop xheat

This thread has escalated majorly over the past couple of days. We're just over 24 hours away from finding out our fate. Hope the teaser promo vid is not setting us up for a fall xpray

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@RainyWoods i am sure you have already packed your lullage and bought a ticket to Rimini, but i have to dissapoint you, UK winning is almost impossible with John tragic lives, at least if he didnt work over them for years of absence

I still think that would be a good choice but i think they just announce Nanne as UK representative tomorrow xheat

Ohh I'd cancel my ticket to Rimini if it turns out we've got Nanne with Carpool Karaokexheat I had no idea until the other day that she was actually in one of our NFs years ago!

I'm not aware about John's issues but I think he would be a very good choice. Personal taste aside, I think I could likely stomach him as our entrant just cause I am sick to death of British people's attitude to the contest. It's like our nation's brain lightbulbs are switched off each year after our inevitable flops. We do bad cause of what we send. That's why we suck and disappoint people year after year. We could do well and challenge for victory every time if we actually tried. Sweden would be quaking if whoever was in charge actually gave half a damn.

ESCConor

I like John Newman - really enjoyed his song with Sigala "Give Me Your Love" - that was a hot bop xheat

This thread has escalated majorly over the past couple of days. We're just over 24 hours away from finding out our fate. Hope the teaser promo vid is not setting us up for a fall xpray
Even if he's hypothetical Eurovision song did sound like it was from 2014 that would still be over a decade more current than most of what the BBC has been putting forwards recently.

Lets hope all these rumours are true, John Newman would probably be one the most experienced artists we have ever sent.

Mrm

Veteran
They finally opened the thread "Ujedinjeno kraljevstvo 2020" = 'The United Kingdom 2020" on OGAE Serbia Forum! :lol:
Thanks to all these rumors... :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This is exactly my opinion. It's a conflicting choice (if it is him ofc) because his voice drives me insane, but then there is your entire 2nd paragraph. Truth be told, I could probably get behind him because the pros outweigh the cons by an absolute mile. Unless ofc the song is shit.

Yes, it's a really weird feeling. Cause on paper it looks an amazing thing, and would likely very much be just the ticket we need to do well again. I guess I'd suck it up for a year. I don't think the tone of his voice is actually bad. It's nice enough, deep and soulful. Just the whole forced swirling of words that occasionally decide to exit his lips like popcorn, I just can't stand. He goes from sounding fine one second, to a child learning to speak the next, and it's one of my biggest pet peeves with a lot our soul pop singers. But eh, maybe he's dropped some habits in the years he's been away? I hated Anna Bergendahl's voice back when she represented Sweden at ESC, but her last two Melodifestivalen songs have been highly listenable (enjoyable even). Artists mature over time.

Mrm

Veteran
I think it is all right if you dislike your country's entry whoever represent it...doesn't matter how popular he/she is.. xshrug

And now about me and that rumor, tbh it can be in all directions for me, I won't like it by default cause it is a big name..we will see..

theditz83

Veteran
Yes, it's a really weird feeling. Cause on paper it looks an amazing thing, and would likely very much be just the ticket we need to do well again. I guess I'd suck it up for a year. I don't think the tone of his voice is actually bad. It's nice enough, deep and soulful. Just the whole forced swirling of words that occasionally decide to exit his lips like popcorn, I just can't stand. He goes from sounding fine one second, to a child learning to speak the next, and it's one of my biggest pet peeves with a lot our soul pop singers. But eh, maybe he's dropped some habits in the years he's been away? I hated Anna Bergendahl's voice back when she represented Sweden at ESC, but her last two Melodifestivalen songs have been highly listenable (enjoyable even). Artists mature over time.

Yep, I think his more recent stuff is less exaggerated and forced and he retains the soulful tone. Live could be a bit hit or miss, but it'll certainly be a unique artist to get the other countries talking rather than looking on sympathetically...

AlekS

Veteran
He's no stranger to Ukraine, at least. He performed at Atlas Weekend fest in 2017.
+ he headlined the UEFA Champions League fan zone in 2018.

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

Well, u are not eurovision participant, aren't you sweetheart and because of that I don't care much about u. I'm not troll acc and I don't have to give explanation to u or anyone else. Have a nice day..

BTW, are singers allowed to give hints about esc or no? Maybe he wants attention.

Don’t call someone sweetheart, it’s below the belt

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

Mrm

Veteran
I have never heard of John Newman before!
You haven't heard this song????? :eek: xfaint
You told me how old are you, if you didn't I'd think now you are 87! :lol:

Top Bottom