6 4.3%

7 5.0%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
United-Kingdom-scaled.jpg

Uto

Veteran
Just the year UK sends an above-average song, Eurovision risks getting cancelled. I knew this year seemed a bit unusual.
This would have finished somewhere near the bottom. No way this would have appeared in the top of the juries rankings and for the televoters it's just not likely to be an interesting song in the whole context of what Eurovision is offering. Think the UK is spared another embarrassment.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'll bet anything the 'Eurovision Come Together' programming the BBC have planned will be filled with archaic eurovision songs from decades ago and highlighting joke entries, with very little emphasis on proper music and the entries of this year.

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Eurovision-come-together-bbc.jpg

Lol. A snippet of what is to come with our own special broadcast. I'm happy there has been a huge backlash over it. It's not even the better Jedward entry.

EscUKFan

Eurovision-come-together-bbc.jpg

Lol. A snippet of what is to come with our own special broadcast. I'm happy there has been a huge backlash over it. It's not even the better Jedward entry.
What a load of shite, hope no one watches it

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
What a load of shite, hope no one watches it

Have you seen the absolute backlash they've had from the British fans? :lol: Literally calling for boycotts etc.

EscUKFan

Have you seen the absolute backlash they've had from the British fans? :lol: Literally calling for boycotts etc.
It’s just so disrespectful. I couldn’t care less about Sharon from Nuneaton dancing to Spirit In The Sky. Why to the BBC always have to be different?Show the Europe Shine A Light programme like everyone else and be done with it, even if it’s on BBC4.

MyHeartIsYours

I don't think either show sounds particularly great lol. I would prefer a show with the best entry from every country that has participated in Eurovision (or at least the countries which were going to take part in 2020).

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Actually it seems the BBC caved to the backlash. They justannounced their Eurovision programming schedule on fb.

May 16th
18:30 - Eurovision come together BBC1
20:00 - Eurovision Shine a light BBC1
22:00 - The A - Z of Eurovision BBC2

Sean

Admin
Staff member

Real interesting insight in this documentary, very tastefully done by the BBC. Hope James gets a crack at it next year

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Real interesting insight in this documentary, very tastefully done by the BBC. Hope James gets a crack at it next year

That ending with the messages from all of the artists was wonderful, so tastefully done and actually quite emotional. It just amplifies how each of them deserve that chance again next year. This show proves clearly what the BBC can do and produce a serious show on Eurovision, the only eye roll moment was 1 or 2 questions asked in interviews as part of the highlights but it was all done quite well.

Interesting the part between him and Montaigne. Saying he wants to do it and will do it but waits for the BBC decision on it, and Montaigne at how she was salty over the idea of not being reselected but is thankful she was.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Songs in the line up for the BBC show tomorrow:
  • Dancing Lasha Tumbai – Verka Serduchka (Ukraine) – 2007
  • Diva – Dana International (Israel) – 1998
  • Euphoria – Loreen (Sweden) – 2012
  • Fairytale – Alexander Rybak (Norway) – 2009
  • Fuego – Eleni Foureira (Cyprus) – 2018
  • Heroes – Måns Zelmerlöw (Sweden) – 2015
  • Love Shine A Light – Katrina & The Waves (UK) – 1997
  • Making Your Mind Up – Bucks Fizz (UK) – 1981
  • Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu – Domenico Modugno (Italy) – 1958
  • Ooh…Aah…Just A Little Bit – Gina G (UK) – 1996
  • Poupée de cire, poupée de son – France Gall (Luxembourg) – 1965
  • Rhythm Inside – Loïc Nottet (Belgium) – 2015
  • Rise Like A Phoenix – Conchita Wurst (Austria) – 2014
  • Satellite – Lena (Germany) – 2010
  • Save Your Kisses for Me – Brotherhood of Man (UK) – 1976
  • Soldi – Mahmood (Italy) – 2019
  • Sound of Silence – Dami Im (Australia) – 2016
  • Toy – Netta (Israel) – 2018
  • Waterloo – Abba (Sweden) – 1974
There is a voting element also apparently. Idk how they'll fit all them in 1.5 hours with voting. Probably snippets I guess?

All things considered I think it's a decent well rounded line up of songs. It could have been a hell of a lot worse, but it's obvious the line up is made with British viewers of all generations in mind. I'm certain it will be one of our own or Abba winning it though.

tuorem

My review:

UNITED KINGDOM 2020 - James Newman - My Last Breath: "mm, yeah..."

After the Brits got mixed with G:son last year with a wonderful finish, I was actually curious to see what that talk of record label and known name would lead to this year. I thought maybe the team would pick up the pace and surprise people, but sadly I can't say that's what happened for me.

"My Last Breath" is actually a typical British effort imo, except that this time around it's the kind that wouldn't be out of place on the radio. Classic pop song without much to write home about, it's not annoying when it plays, but it just doesn't leave any big impression and certainly isn't enough for people to pick up their phones and vote for it, a recurring pattern for the UK. Being decent-ish is not a goal. Compared to past British entries, I think they made a slight effort, but it's still not enough to achieve anything imo. I don't like the aseptic vocal treatment during the chorus and it gives me a lil' Joe & Jake vibe, but at least it's got a decent melody (for what it is). I appreciate James's tone, it's got much more character than Rice's, I wish it were showcased more and exploited better; I don't know how good he is live, but the song seemed a bit beneath him imo.

In short, nothing to be ashamed of, but the revolution I'd like to witness hasn't started yet. It remains too conventional with no real incarnation that would make them stand out from the crowd imo.

Prediction-wise, I believe it was at best yet another Lucie Jones type of situation with juries supporting it and viewers missing it because there are more appealing options to vote for in the final (although I think Jones was very convincing during her performance).

If I read correctly, Newman won't come back next year? Well, I wouldn't have minded him with a stronger song. I wish the Brits could catch fans off-guard and present something unexpected coming from them next year, but every year it's the same ol' story and nothing changes. At the very least, I hope the next entry will be an improvement over this one.

ESC94

@tuorem

You perfectly described the problem of this entry. It ´s just "ok", a song that I wouldn´t mind on the radio but that´s already forgotten two songs later.

I would say that this song maybe would´ve gotten some points from the juries, but in the national televotings this often would have ended up in place 13-16, not terribly bad but simply too bland and unspectacular to receive points. In the end the :uk: maybe wouldn´t have finished last or second to last, but 22nd to 24th instead, still a pretty disastrous result. :confused:

I always hope that the UK "wakes up" and starts taking this seriously again, but since we´re still talking about the BBC I don´t think this will happen. The more likely option is that we end up with the "sequel" of "Storm" or "Bigger than US", performed by an uncharismatic nobody that ends up last or second to last followed by the usual complaints from the yellow press about the "unfair Europeans that hate the UK because of Brexit" and so on. :rolleyes:

Maybe I´m to pessimistic, but after soo many disappointments I really lost any hope.

Last edited:

Milos-BC

Not a bad song, but I think the 2021 entry suits him better. Still, this was a decent choice.

4 points.

StephenMuckle

I was going through random Eurovision videos on YouTube and something odd came up on my recommended videos. Apparently this song called Human by some guy called Roubix was said to be a song that was submitted for the BBC's and BMG's selection, it was leaked some time before James Newman was revealed as the UK's artist.

Chrisiam

It is a fake leak that was debunked around the time that it was released earlier in the thread.

The song linked is just an up-tempo version of a song by another artist which was released in 2015. It isn't even a cover, it is literally just the same version of the song slightly faster so it would be under the time requirements for the contest:

From what I understand, Roubix is (or at least was) an artist who spent years trying to represent the UK/Make people think they were representing the UK despite not having really much of a music career of which to speak of. They may just be a fan who wished they could do it and had been using fake leaks for years to make it seem like they were doing it/boost their career and/or make people say "This guy should do it for us".

And if this "Submission" is anything to go by they literally were hoping to get away with stealing someone else's song and vocals and hoping no one would notice just long enough for them to eventually represent the UK in 2020 or at some point after.

Top Bottom