29 7.6%

20 5.2%

14 3.7%

23 6.0%

11 2.9%

50 13.1%

• Total voters

Synergise

Can we please, PLEASE send an unknown artist with a good song and a good voice? I don't know why everyone thinks we need to send an established artist. I don't think it's the right way to win anyway (it should be about the song, not the performer). Besides, when was the last time the winner was a properly established artist across Europe?

BBC, either put in the effort, or let another channel who will.

MyHeartIsYours

As I say year-after-year, I want an X Factor-style selection. That would come up with the best entry imo.

rajo

The wisely spoken words of Cheryl Baker:

He hit every note and the song was very universal with lovely lyrics and lovely music – but it was just too old-fashioned and I think the BBC made a mistake tactically.

They thought it was the right move because he has such a huge fan base in Eastern Europe, but that made no difference in the end.

We needed something more modern.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but when you listened to the rest of the competition, you realised there was no other ballad like Love Will Set You Free.

It was a very traditional, old-fashioned song that could have been in the competition in the 50s. We seem to think the rest of Europe lives in the Dark Ages and they clearly don’t.

Even the silly Russian song sung by six grannies called Buranovskiye Babushki was more modern than The Hump’s.

What a shame. It’s not politics and the world doesn’t hate us – we came 11th in last year’s Eurovision.

Yoni

he sucked it in the jury rehearsal, not even them could help him.

CPV4931

Sadly my vote for "The Hump" didn´t help -.-
At least top 20 should´ve been possible.

Franco

It saddens me that mr. Humperdinck got less points than the Blue last year, since his was a much better song. I fear that in the next years UK will discard quality entries, like the 2012 one, favouring some hideous boyband. :(

moop

ok i know you guys are gonna take this as a joke but im dead serious. how about putting sam fox on a diet and then send her to stockholm talk about a untapped fanbase in eastern europe

bashers

Having less points than Blue is irrelevant. I never understand why people compare points. If Loreen was in last years contest, or any other contest...it could of got even higher or even lower results. It's all relative to the particular songs in that contest. The Hump may have done better last year and Blue may have done well this year. So...

So people STILL going on about The Hurts, get over it already ;-) Lets have an unknown, with a great song and voice!

gazzerl67

Well, late in on this one as I've been nursing a monumental hangover and then enjoying the weather. The days after Eurovision are always a bit flat for me as it's another 12 months til the next one - kind of like the day after Boxing Day. Had over 20 guests to a Eurovision party, mainly British but with a handful of Irish and Scandinavians. The general consensus was the UK song was very dull and forgettable but that 2nd to last was perhaps a little harsh but time to pick ourselves up for next year. The Irish seemed more upset as they actually thought Jedward were in with a chance - not a view shared by the rest of us may I add.

I hope Loreen does have some chart success in the UK - that would do more to change British attitudes to Eurovision than anything else. All I really want is for us to send something contemporary and representative of the true calibre of the UK music scene.

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
Oh my, not even juries supported this :? I'm sorry but this song is forgettable, a good and sweet performance, though. He certainly deserved being higher than this. Better luck next year UK!

FallenAngelII

I hope Loreen does have some chart success in the UK - that would do more to change British attitudes to Eurovision than anything else. All I really want is for us to send something contemporary and representative of the true calibre of the UK music scene.
She's #1 on the UK Itunes chart at the moment.

MyHeartIsYours

The Telegraph is reporting that the BBC is facing calls to withdraw!
"The BBC is facing calls to pull out of the Eurovision Song Contest after another night of humiliation in which Engelbert Humperdinck finished second from bottom."

"A BBC spokesman said political voting did not choose the winner but did affect the “mid-table positions”" - like I've said all along.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...vision-2012-BBC-facing-calls-to-withdraw.html

FallenAngelII

As opposed to every single year since 1997 except back in 2009? The Brits always rage when they do badly at Eurovision with absolutely no regard to why they did badly. They wanted to withdraw when Scooch failed. Scooch. How could they not see that they would do badly?!

The BBC is not going to withdraw because despite raging, the British people still turn out in sufficiently large numbers to watch the contest each year for the BBC to wish to continue broadcasting the competition.

And the BBC obviously has no real interest in winning the competition. The reason why they picked Blue and the Hump through internal selection was allegedly because of their established fanbases. In other words, they wanted to pick a known name. If they really wanted to win, they'd pick a known act whose glory days weren't half a generation or more ago. Pick a current pop star or even rising star instead of hasbeens. And give them better songs. And put on a production. Or they could just pick someone with a good voice.

Blue just sang in front of random screens. The hump stood still while a random couple danced behind him.

watersoup

"The BBC is facing calls to pull out of the Eurovision Song Contest after another night of humiliation in which Engelbert Humperdinck finished second from bottom."

"A BBC spokesman said political voting did not choose the winner but did affect the “mid-table positions”" - like I've said all along.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...vision-2012-BBC-facing-calls-to-withdraw.html

I would have hoped that The Telegraph would be above publishing stories like that. "Calls to withdraw" from who exactly? Some random people on Facebook and ITV employee Philip Schofield it turns out.

Then again, it does play into the "foreigners aren't to be trusted" agenda that The Telegraph likes to push.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I would have hoped that The Telegraph would be above publishing stories like that. "Calls to withdraw" from who exactly? Some random people on Facebook and ITV employee Philip Schofield it turns out.

Then again, it does play into the "foreigners aren't to be trusted" agenda that The Telegraph likes to push.

I agree, it's a small group of people aka. sore losers. I get that nobody enjoys losing and blaming it on cultural/political/diaspora/friendly voting is always a perfect cop out. The Hump would have scored just as low regardless of any questionable votes towards certain countries, I mean for God's sake, even Ireland only gave the UK 4 points. That must be a new low.

Synergise

I agree, it's a small group of people aka. sore losers. I get that nobody enjoys losing and blaming it on cultural/political/diaspora/friendly voting is always a perfect cop out. The Hump would have scored just as low regardless of any questionable votes towards certain countries, I mean for God's sake, even Ireland only gave the UK 4 points. That must be a new low.
The same as for Josh in 2010. And 0 from Ireland in 2003 (that was a jury vote, but apparently it was still 0 in the Irish televote that wasn't used).

FallenAngelII

I'm pretty sure Jemini did worse since they got Nul Points.

Top Bottom