14 3.8%

12 3.3%

5 1.4%

9 2.4%

34 9.2%

• Total voters

Deltage

Re: UNITED KINGDOM 2011

If they have to copy anything Estonian, it should be the old system, Eurolaul. The new NF is just basically a specific clique from one radio station choosing their favorite song, eliminating any songs with ESC/hit potential and offering the ESC ticket as a bonus. And we ended up like the UK did, only in the semi-finals.

I have heard rumblings from the Shadow Culture Minister Ben Bradshaw MP (Lab, Exeter) that the United Kingdom should withdraw from Eurovision (and the European Broadcasting Union as a whole) due to the contributions that the UK makes. If those rumblings are confirmed, I am wondering whether he had those feelings when he was Culture Minister prior to the general election?

A-lister

Veteran

Deltage said:
If they have to copy anything Estonian, it should be the old system, Eurolaul. The new NF is just basically a specific clique from one radio station choosing their favorite song, eliminating any songs with ESC/hit potential and offering the ESC ticket as a bonus. And we ended up like the UK did, only in the semi-finals.

Eesti Laul gave you your best song and position in YEARS (Urban Symphony)... It's much better and interesting than Eurolaul for sure.

They just need to chose the right one that's all... but then again it's just been for two years and in the first Eesti Laul they did the right choice and got a good position.

As for the UK; I honestly think they should stay home for a year to think things over if they really can't start treating this contest with somewhat respect. Maybe with the German win there might be some new hope in the Big4 countries that you CAN achieve a good result and even a win if you really pay attention to the contest.

MrJadeEwen

MyHeartIsYours said:
Let's win 2011 and host when we have the Olympics too! :mrgreen:

The BBC would actually cry if they had to host during Olympic year :lol:

Deltage

A-lister said:
Eesti Laul gave you your best song and position in YEARS (Urban Symphony)... It's much better and interesting than Eurolaul for sure.

It's just a coincidence as the new format hadn't fully taken off yet and artists and producers were basically the same who had been taking part in Eurolaul. Besides if I remember correctly that particular song was at first eliminated and then got to the final only because some other song got disqualified or something. And I really doubt that Sven Lõhmus just happened to produce some good songs because of the new format as he's been taking part almost every year.

Anyway, you saw the result we got this year. That's what I'm talking about and I'm sure it will happen next year too.

A-lister

Veteran

Deltage said:
A-lister said:

Anyway, you saw the result we got this year. That's what I'm talking about and I'm sure it will happen next year too.

Because your song was just too indie for this...

but you HAD better options in your selection that would probably make it to the final; Rolf Junior and Lenna ... so don't blame Esti Laul... blame whoever judge/votes in that.

Deltage

Well, that's the point, as far as I know the jury system isn't really open and has ties with the people who run the NF. They don't really take the contest seriously and have other interests than actual success in ESC, I'm not even sure why those people were put in charge then in the first place. Even the name change (Estonian Song as opposed to Eurosong) is basically to make it seem like it's only a local song competition for artists that don't care about ESC. I just think that they should have this local "alternative" thing and the ESC national final separate, the concepts are too different.

hawadharma

I love the song 'UP' from THE SATURDAYS.

Would make a great Eurovision song.. :D

A-lister

Veteran

hawadharma said:

Totally agree!

But the UK think they're too good for this so they want to send some crap instead :lol:

Anyways... Sugababes are soon C-listed so they might give it a go :D

hawadharma

A-lister said:
hawadharma said:

Totally agree!

But the UK think they're too good for this so they want to send some crap instead :lol:

Anyways... Sugababes are soon C-listed so they might give it a go :D

I think The Saturdays is a good candidate, because they are not that famous anyway.
I only know who's singing this song and the title of the song 1 month after I listen to it.

Dalia

UK want to win? Then you should take Robert Pattinson ... :lol: ?

MrJadeEwen

I'd Like to see:

- Alexandra Burke
- Katherine Jenkins
- JLS
- Lady GaGa (ok she's american, but she'd do well ;) )
- Cheryl Cole
- Sugababes
- Amy McDonald

The top 3 are very good live singers, GaGa & Cheryl Cole has amazing songs all the time :mrgreen:, The sugababes will probably need some promotion soon although they are amazing. Amy McDonald is very unique and be a chance to send something different :)

However i'm always up for another ALW Ballad

And who am i kidding, we'll have another nobody who can just about sing with a song that died in the 80s.... :(

Raul_Spain

Lady Gaga is very well produced but most of her songs are very weak imho

AlekS

Veteran

I highly doubt that someone famous agrees to represent the UK during next 2 years (+ what "MrJadeEwen" said about Olympics).

I would like some beginner, maybe unknown and talented professional singer. Like Jade for instance. Or Alyosha, or Lena...

MrJadeEwen

AlekS said:
I highly doubt that someone famous agrees to represent the UK during next 2 years

but someone famous was offered this year, according to the sun Katie Melua offered her services which were refused

stupid BBC :evil:

Olli

MrJadeEwen said:
MyHeartIsYours said:
Let's win 2011 and host when we have the Olympics too! :mrgreen:

The BBC would actually cry if they had to host during Olympic year :lol:

are you sure?

do not forget that the BBC and EBU are responsible for the broadcast of the olympic games worldwide.....
and a eurovision song contest just before the games 2012 would be a perfect "rehearsal" for the games....

but what should the BBC do in 2011?
start there where you stopped after the ESC in 2009..... and take the whole thing more seriously again

the UK do not need a famous superstar to win the whole thing. just a good song and a great talent. your country is full of talents :-)

Top Bottom