2 1.5%

6 4.4%

2 1.5%

6 4.4%

4 3.0%

• Total voters

DenizESC

Banned
After all the entries are out - MARUV would still be my number one this year if she was in. This is the first time ever I've had Ukraine as my favourite... Sooooo sad....
But at least I can still listen to Siren Song as often as I want- and watch her performance every now and then.
xcry1

9 days from the future, I can confirm MARUV still no.1

Alaska49

honestly it will be the sunday after the grand final and i will still be like "ukraine still has time to get its shit together i think". this shitshow was so beyond the pale in stupidity that i still have a hard time to process that it happened. we are not having ukraine this year? and for THAT??

Yoozek

u4IIBTd.png

0zt2Ju2.png

itstheunsub

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG POST (and obviously a biased one cuz she was my favorite).

First of all, Jamala's comments and questions were disgusting (that's even an understatement). I don't care about her issues, I don't care about their political issues and I literally hate Russia's politics but It's a MUSIC CONTEST, act like it or get out. She has so much experience as an artist and the level of unprofessionalism she has shown is unbelievable. I actually loved her song and I chose to close my eyes to the political message back in 2016 and even voted for it (my dumb ass regrets this). Because her behavior wasn't enough, she BLOCKED (yes, blocked) everyone on instagram & facebook who disagreed with her questions or said what she did wasn't okay. (She blocked me on insta (i sent her a dm saying her act was terrible & i regret voting for her) & facebook (literally i just put angry reactions and she blocked me, ok sis)). Okay, lets move on to something that really matters now.

Maruv. The queen. I am a gay man and when I saw the performance for the first time i gasped, I was intrigued, I was attracted. I was living for it. Her vocals were not the best, obviously, but she made up for that. She won fair and square.

I cannot BELIEVE people are defending UA:pBC when literally every Ukranian person who is living in the 21st century and isn't a nationalist defended MARUV and put the blame on UA:pBC (as they should).

The contract they made her sign was unbelievable & inhumane. I was fuming the moment I read it. Melovin said himself he had a different contract and supported MARUV till the end. A lot of other famous artists supported her too. Like, I can live with the 'don't go to Russia and don't sing there", but paying over 60k euros for a fricking dance move, talking to reporters without their approval etc etc. They wanted her to be a political puppet. You will say what we want and if you don't you'll get a fine. She even had to pay for everything herself (what?). I don't get how dumb they can be including politics and getting an artist not to sign a contract when that artist is one of the main favorites???? WHERE'S THE LOGIC? I CAN'T FIND IT!
The moment she didn't sign the contract (made the right decision) the first thing I thought is the hate the representative is going to get, undeserved and I felt pretty bad, but then saw the other runner ups decline the request and it gave me life. I would've lived for a disqualification from the EBU but okay.

On a positive stance for her tho, she got international fame and articles on a lot of world news networks sites and gained a lot of fans (at least on social media) and I can see her having a really bright career.

TL;DR: MARUV'S song was awesome, she was and would probably be in my top 3 even now. She was undeservedly robbed. The only one I feel sorry for is MARUV. I really want to see her as an interval act but I'm sure it wont happen.

Ezio

Veteran
I miss Maruv. I hated the song on first impulse but it is my most watched video of the season (2nd place: Aly Ryan, 3rd: Jon Lindvuk, 4th: Osir is bae)

I would pay her trip to Israel if I could. snif snif

hijirio

Veteran
I could pay any compensation UA:pbc imposes on her, no matter how BS that is.

AlekS

Veteran
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG POST (and obviously a biased one cuz she was my favorite).

First of all, Jamala's comments and questions were disgusting (that's even an understatement). I don't care about her issues, I don't care about their political issues and I literally hate Russia's politics but It's a MUSIC CONTEST, act like it or get out. She has so much experience as an artist and the level of unprofessionalism she has shown is unbelievable. I actually loved her song and I chose to close my eyes to the political message back in 2016 and even voted for it (my dumb ass regrets this). Because her behavior wasn't enough, she BLOCKED (yes, blocked) everyone on instagram & facebook who disagreed with her questions or said what she did wasn't okay. (She blocked me on insta (i sent her a dm saying her act was terrible & i regret voting for her) & facebook (literally i just put angry reactions and she blocked me, ok sis)). Okay, lets move on to something that really matters now.

Maruv. The queen. I am a gay man and when I saw the performance for the first time i gasped, I was intrigued, I was attracted. I was living for it. Her vocals were not the best, obviously, but she made up for that. She won fair and square.

I cannot BELIEVE people are defending UA:pBC when literally every Ukranian person who is living in the 21st century and isn't a nationalist defended MARUV and put the blame on UA:pBC (as they should).

The contract they made her sign was unbelievable & inhumane. I was fuming the moment I read it. Melovin said himself he had a different contract and supported MARUV till the end. A lot of other famous artists supported her too. Like, I can live with the 'don't go to Russia and don't sing there", but paying over 60k euros for a fricking dance move, talking to reporters without their approval etc etc. They wanted her to be a political puppet. You will say what we want and if you don't you'll get a fine. She even had to pay for everything herself (what?). I don't get how dumb they can be including politics and getting an artist not to sign a contract when that artist is one of the main favorites???? WHERE'S THE LOGIC? I CAN'T FIND IT!
The moment she didn't sign the contract (made the right decision) the first thing I thought is the hate the representative is going to get, undeserved and I felt pretty bad, but then saw the other runner ups decline the request and it gave me life. I would've lived for a disqualification from the EBU but okay.
There's nothing disgusting in Jamala's comments. She experienced provoking, physical attack & political questions herself in 2016 :? If she wanted to screw her she would gave her 1-3 pts. She's already gave her more than enough, considering she dislikes such kind of performances.
+ I don't get how it influenced anything considering MARUV gave the right answer)). In fact it added her more televoting points. If you think it's disgusting then step in our shoes first. We're fighting against army which has nuclear weapons with the most powerful propahanda resource in the world and not even the EBU can guarantee us equal treatment with everyone else. Journalists and even broadcasters abolish the EBU rules against us and this won't stop xshrug Performers should be ready for all kinds of attacks. It seems unfair but it comes from our own Eurovision experience & accidents in the past, starting from 2015.

Jamala was physically attacked by Russian journalist in Stockholm, Russian journalists invaded her parents home in Crimea. She's like no other knows everything about provocations at Eurovision and I totally approve all her actions.
And btw, she's not the only one in charge of her social network accounts.
MARUV (or someone from her team) deleted almost all negative comments in their Instagram account. Including mine, where I just quoted the EBU rules :eek:

xfacepalm I'm not a nationalist and I voted for MARUV but this is mainly her & her label's fault :cool: UA:pBC's fault is that they didn't show the contract obligations to all the NF participants.

Melovin signed a different contract because STB channel (as his sponsor) had taken the vast amount of responsibilities)))
This year STB didn't collaborate with our performer.
MARUV actually agreed with all parts which differed from the EBU's contract. If you think it's unfair then write angry things on EBU's Instagram & Facebook :lol: - this is their contract for every participating broadcaster.
She disagreed with EBU's demands only.

• The EBU fines the broadcaster if performer abolishes the rules. Alyosha was fined in 2010. Is 30% of participation fee fair to you? No? Blame the EBU.
  • MARUV refused from following her own scripted performance. It's not a secret that all broadcasters send the detailed script of their performance. Eurovision techies need it to program their cameras/lighting/special effects. The same system works at any big professional event here. The software doesn't give a shit if she decides to improvise in the middle of performance.
  • MARUV's label refused to give copyrights to Universal. No comments.
  • Coordinating her interviews & press-conferences with UA:pBC. She called it abolishing the freedom of speech :lol: Gurl, each delegation has the Head of Press or a person responsible for PR + Eurovision has its own PR team which also has their demands for every delegation. UA:pBC coordinates their press releases with the EBU btw.

Even if they had money UA:pBC (funded from the state budget) has no right to sponsor other commercial projects. They pay participation fee, commentators & for the broadcast. Performers pay for themsleves and have artistic freedom (within EBU rules) + royalties, and their profit increases in 4-10 times after Eurovision :rolleyes:
STB channel funded our 2016-2018 performers as a charity.
Record label funded Greek performer last year. Moldova 2018 also funded themselves. Estonia 2018 was funded partially by the broadcaster.

If UA:pBC didn't want her as our representative they wouldn't have had 5.5-7 hours negotiations and they wouldn't have prolonged the deadline for her. Not to mention they had a final saying when she was selected for the Vidbir.

STB's fault is that they've got unprofessional team (damn, their press releases, and getting those long ad breaks back :lol: ). They would do anything for scandals & ratings (and I don't mind that) but they did it extremely raw & unprofessional. The script & all the scandals were orchestrated by STB/Vidbir bosses so I question their professionalism too. They've had enough time. 4 years is enough time.

njdevils94

Veteran
It seems to me at the end of all of this after reading in between the lines of press releases MARUV never wanted to go to Eurovision in the first place.

WhoKnows

I'm over this whole saga tbh, but oh well...

I'm still not sure what to make of what happened. She comes across as sweet and genuine, but I just can't help but think there's more to her than what she lets on. Regardless of everything else, once it was clear that it would be either her or a withdrawal in 2019, if you're a patriot of your country and know how much it means to the people (especially since they support you), wouldn't you do everything you can to put the nation's interests first? Even if you don't get everything you want, there's no shame in sacrificing a little for your country. If she really is as pro-Ukraine and pro-unity and pro-peace, etc as she claims, wouldn't she use this opportunity to prove wrong those who doubted her allegiance?

Let's be honest here, the ~contract was hardly outrageous or draconian. Every other ESC participant signs a similar one and nobody has been enslaved just yet. Initially, I was willing to not assign any malintent to her actions in all this, but the more time passes, the more I think she had alterior motives. Either way, she didn't put her country first and for that reason I don't regret that she's not representing Ukraine.

With that said, I still maintain that the channel botched this whole operation and they deserve at least as much blame as she does, if not more.

JohnyKaz

I wasn't into her song at all when it was released back in January and when I saw the live performance in the semi final of Vidbir I pressed the disliked button. The song started growing on me however and while I was rooting for KAZKA I didn't mind when she won especially after the grand final performace which I liked much more than the semi. Now I LOVE the song and wish she was still here (she would be in my top 5). Ukraine should be banned for like A DECADE for what they've done.

hijirio

Veteran
Can't breathe xheat xheat

WHY UKRAINE WHY WHY WHY

IT's tooooo amazing I wanna cry

xDEWx

Cool song and she is a really great artist but unfortunately Ukraine is a mess lately.

giphy.gif

Milos-BC

Still can't get over it :( She would've been a very strong contender for victory, that's for sure. She would've been in my top 2 easily as well. Such a shame.

Top Bottom