Contact us

The XXII Winter Olympic Games 2014 in Sochi, Russian Federation (7th - 23rd of February 2014)

DannyDS

omg I cried SO much when the polar bear blew out the Olympic Flame. It was so sad omg I'm gonna miss Sochi 2014 </3 Best winter games ever :( :( :(

Sultana

omg I cried SO much when the polar bear blew out the Olympic Flame. It was so sad omg I'm gonna miss Sochi 2014 </3 Best winter games ever :( :( :(

ΤΗΙS MOMENT OMG... I cried too! Unfortunately, I have never seen an Olympic Bear from 80's but It seems that it was VERY touching moment so they made a simmilar performance..and omgggg I cried and cried xcry

My favourite parts were Literature block ( GOSH Poets were sooo ALIVE.. amazing work!) and of course Mascots((( so sad

Sultana

Ι've also enjoyed Pyongchang presentation! it was great and so cultural. I expect great games in 2018

Sultana

Ι've also enjoyed Pyongchang presentation! it was great and so cultural. I expect great games in 2018 but the symbol of games is rather strange for me.. I didn't get it :(

DannyDS

south Korea will do a good job, I'm sure. ;)

I just hope the North Korean athletes will be treated with respect and that they will be present at the Pyeongchang Winter Games in 2018.

Also,when that tear rolled on the bear's cheek, I just broke down completely :oops: :oops:
Really, well done, Russia xheart xheart

Oh and nothing negative in the media here about the Closing Ceremony yay!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Sultana

south Korea will do a good job, I'm sure. ;)

I just hope the North Korean athletes will be treated with respect and that they will be present at the Pyeongchang Winter Games in 2018.

Also,when that tear rolled on the bear's cheek, I just broke down completely :oops: :oops:
Really, well done, Russia xheart xheart

Oh and nothing negative in the media here about the Closing Ceremony yay!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Well I was more emotional during closing ceremony .. It was really touching I fell in love with mascots during this ceremony

greece

Oh I forgot....CONGRATS RUSSIA xhear xheart xheart xheart xheart

Although I saw the Olympics only the three last days....:oops:

But anyway let's see what South Korea is going to do at the next Olympics;)

aletem

Canada slayed in the team sports, your countries could nevaaah!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

3-0 against Sweden in the final!! To be honest, had Crosby and co played Finland in the final, it would have been a silver medal! :geek:

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
I have a question for the Germans (if people are still checking this thread): The Norwegian commentators talked a lot about how the German bob teams did, and compared it to how Norwegians having bad skis in cross country skiing is received in Norway, where it's the main story on the news. Is it true? Is bob really that big in Germany? If it is, then I live in the wrong country, I love bob (and skeleton), and I think cross country skiing is a bit boring...

JamieBrown

German bob teams always won at least a medal in winter olympics. This year they don't and so it is the worst result in olympic history for german bob teams. I don't think it's that important for many people here like cross country skiing in Norway.

ShoeFlo

I agree with Jamie Brown.
I don't have any proof datas, but I guess Biathlon and Ski jumping are the disciplines which attract the most attention here. Bob has just an average popularity.
But as Jamie said, Germany used to win lots of medals in Bob in the past, so many people were surprised in a negative way that we didn't won any medal in Sotchi.

esc87fan

Canada slayed in the team sports, your countries could nevaaah!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

3-0 against Sweden in the final!! To be honest, had Crosby and co played Finland in the final, it would have been a silver medal! :geek:

I guess you can say with the curling and hockey wins, Canada served up a double-double! xup

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
German bob teams always won at least a medal in winter olympics. This year they don't and so it is the worst result in olympic history for german bob teams. I don't think it's that important for many people here like cross country skiing in Norway.

I agree with Jamie Brown.
I don't have any proof datas, but I guess Biathlon and Ski jumping are the disciplines which attract the most attention here. Bob has just an average popularity.
But as Jamie said, Germany used to win lots of medals in Bob in the past, so many people were surprised in a negative way that we didn't won any medal in Sotchi.

Thanks guys. :) I had a feeling the commentators was going a bit far with their comments. Biathlon definitely makes more sense as a very popular German sport to me. Average popularity for bob is still much more than in Norway tho, where I don't think I've seen a single World Cup mention in the Norwegian news for years. :(

JamieBrown

Iceland is a small country...

What I find more ironic is this: In Olympic history, Iceland have 4 medals at SUMMER Olympics. None at Winter Olympics. :eek:

I don't think the people from Iceland are very interested in winter sports. The cliché is that they play Handball and music and read books all the time. No time for cross country skiing or downhill racing :D

zoyuxi

I don't think the people from Iceland are very interested in winter sports. The cliché is that they play Handball and music and read books all the time. No time for cross country skiing or downhill racing :D

Hehe.
Yammer & Sickle: Why Is Iceland So Bad at the Winter Olympics? - WSJ.com
If there was ever a country that you would expect to do well at the Winter Olympics, it's the one with "ice" in its name. But in 16 previous trips to the Games, Iceland has never won so much as a medal.

The Summer Olympics are more Iceland's thing. There, at least, the country has won four medals, including a silver in team handball at the 2008 Beijing Games.

The main reason Iceland fails to live up to its name is that it doesn't get enough snow. The country far prefers sports that can be played in vast indoor halls, like soccer and handball.

"For the winter sports, we are depending so much on the weather," said Andri Stefansson, the head of Iceland's Olympic committee.

But the biggest impediment is probably Iceland's small population. With only 320,000 inhabitants, the pool of potential Olympians is shallow. Most of the top athletes are drawn to more popular sports that can be played year-round.

WSJ: Why does Iceland Fail at Winter Olympics? | Iceland Review
The dismal results prove what Icelanders have long known. For skiing and skating you need snow and ice. There just isn’t enough of that form of water in Iceland.

SRBIJA

Banned
+ plus they always go with quite a small team, only 6 athletes this year if I'm not mistaken, their flagwearer tho xheart

526758909_30203053.jpg

zoyuxi

Top Bottom