Contact us

That One Thread About Juries We Have Every Year

midnightsun

Veteran
Keep the juries BUT change the rules - that means if there ever existed rules. If not, set up any! What do we know about the rules of jury voting?

German 2017-Jury member Wincent Weiss said in an interview, a few days before the finals, rather reluctantly when asked about the voting process: "Well, it's true, we all watch the performances...ehhh...of course all by...all by ourselves... I must not tell too much about it..."

So here are the questions I ask myself (maybe someone here is able to answer them).

1.) WHERE sit the jury members when watching the performances? Are they live on site, in the hall? Are they in another building, watching via tv screens/monitors? Are they even at home in their home country, watching a secret broadcasting of the show, accessible only for jury members?

2.) Another strange thing coming to my mind is - if the jury members really have no contact between themselves during the voting process (or even during the whole performance), so how is it possible that (in case of Germany, don't know about other countries) all of the jury members have a similar rank of the countries? I mean, there aren't 5 times the same #1 or the same #15, but jury votes often look like this:

Fictional (!) Example (each number is the position each of the five jurors placed the country in)

Portugal 1 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 1
Croatia 13 | 17 | 12 | 13| 13
Germany 25 | 25 | 18 | 25 | 25

I mean, how probable is this without talking to each other? They must AT LEAST talked to each other BEFORE the finals, maybe already roughly coordinating their opinions? I thought it was forbidden?

Let's get down to another habit that annoys me.

3.) Juries once were introduced to prevent bloc voting. In some way, it was necessary and we still need that to prevent Eastern countries to vote for an obviously bad song that doesn't get points from anyone except their neighbours. Eastern countries tended to do that in the past, not so much anymore now.

But juries still seem to think, especially Western juries, they have to be there for preventing the whole Eastern Europe to win! So they started to reward a lot of Western countries, especially the ones with a certain good reputation in Eurovision, e.g. Sweden or Italy.

Especially Scandinavia (and Australia lately) seems to be suitable for that purpose as Western juries know, the Scandinavian countries give points to each other anyway and there is the highest possibility, IF you want a Western country to win, you can realise this by voting for a Scandinavian country.

So I once ask again: what are the criterias for voting? I always thought juries should reward a song, that is technically AND musically AND voicewise an overall good song.

In case of the German jury (I don't know, what about the other countries?) that means, they concentrate on boring (Western) ballads, "safe songs" how I called them in another post in this thread. They don't dare to experiment. They are not brave. And most importantly they obviously have a wrong idea of what the juries are really have to be there for.

I would understand, if Juror A gives 12 points to Romania, because it is such an outstanding song, and Juror B to Australia, because the kid has such a great voice and Juror C to Hungary, because the ethnics elements build a bridge between different ethnicities in Europe. But the voting chart had to look much differently then, much more differences between the jury members. And I doubt, the jurors followed such ideas as the criterias of voting.

So, JURIES HAVE TO CHANGE or they MUST BE ABOLISHED!

Pawhlen

I have always been a supporter of the juries. I still am. Simply because the alternative of having pure televoting back is not appealing. The juries still tends to balance the result in a way. In general the juries tend to give more points to ballads than the televoters. In general the juries tend to give less points to pure joke-acts. Etc...

Having that said, music taste is never objective, and every member of the juries can only vote according to his or her own taste.

But I really DID expect more professionalism from some juries this year. Some outrageous jury results have already been pointed out. Greece/Cyprus; neither of the two songs got good results - but they exchanged 12p!
Denmark and Finland both rewarding Sweden their top marks! Sweden did well all over, but even so - I cant help thinking that if the same song was send by another country it would not be getting the same top scores. I am happy to see Norway's jury at least putting Bulgaria and Portugal (two countries that traditionally get big fat 0 from Norway) before Denmark and Sweden.

...and dont even get me started on the Armenian/Azeri jury votings. And then there was Bulgaria...

The juries are far from perfect. The EBU should react to some of the examples mentioned, although I guess there is little they can actually do.

The one thing I would change though; I'd put more members in each jury. 12 members in each jurym this could be easily done. That way it would also be much harder for the different broadcasters to blame it on "coincidence".
Agree 100% and to all of you thinking I defend the juries because they had us high this year, then you are very wrong, already forgotten the jury was the main reason why we ended 21st 2009 and missed the final in 2010 for example.

The juries are sadly needed in this competition, BUT I have since they returned in 2009 been very critical too that there are only FIVE people in each one, there should be at least 12-15th, EBU can´t make an accuse saying "they don´t have time" well, it worked perfectly before televoting was mainly introduced in 1998 (after :ch::at::uk::de::se: had it as test in 1997)

They would still get the result of the juries almost 24h Before the broadcast of the Grand Final, plenty of time to collect and count the votes

The jury must stay but being increased with more people in each jury

Pawhlen

One thing EBU could start with also is too upload 20-30 seconds clips from the Jury Final performances, so we are allowed to see the actual performances that the juries are judging

FilipFromSweden

At this point I really don't see them being necessary anymore, televoters seem to have a more broad taste

Realest

If Juries werent introduced, the Televoter wouldnt have stopped voting for their homecountries. But since a few years the televoters seemed to understand that qualitiative Music wins and that their patriotism is leading to nothing. Portugal would never have won if there werent Juries who reduced the neighbour and diaspora voting.

In my opinion there is some deserved and some undeserved hate this year:

Deserved hate:
Azerbaijan-Armenia-Hate.
Australia-Hate.
Azerbaijan-Cyprus-hate.
Mindchanges like what the Ukrainian did.

Undeserved Hate:
The Nordic hate: Finnish and Danish Juries are allowed to put the topfavourite sweden on #1 as belgian Juries are allowed.

Moldovan Juries did the right thing with Romania. It is a common Musictaste and Alex and Ilinca are famous in Moldova.

The Same thing with greek and cyprus. The greek win in cyprus was btw very close. The Juries are normal Humans like us and did it for musically reasons. The last time they gave each other 12 was 2012, the last Time that both had strong entries.

Tho Bulgarian and Portuguese Juryvoting: If you look at the bulgarian Juryvotes you can see that it is the voting with the highest standarddeviation. Look what they did with Greek and Cyprus. There is no prove for a tactical Voting. And you cannot force them to give points to each other.

Pawhlen

If Juries werent introduced, the Televoter wouldnt have stopped voting for their homecountries. But since a few years the televoters seemed to understand that qualitiative Music wins and that their patriotism is leading to nothing. Portugal would never have won if there werent Juries who reduced the neighbour and diaspora voting.

In my opinion there is some deserved and some undeserved hate this year:

Deserved hate:
Azerbaijan-Armenia-Hate.
Australia-Hate.
Azerbaijan-Cyprus-hate.
Mindchanges like what the Ukrainian did.

Undeserved Hate:
The Nordic hate: Finnish and Danish Juries are allowed to put the topfavourite sweden on #1 as belgian Juries are allowed.

Moldovan Juries did the right thing with Romania. It is a common Musictaste and Alex and Ilinca are famous in Moldova.

The Same thing with greek and cyprus. The greek win in cyprus was btw very close. The Juries are normal Humans like us and did it for musically reasons. The last time they gave each other 12 was 2012, the last Time that both had strong entries.

Tho Bulgarian and Portuguese Juryvoting: If you look at the bulgarian Juryvotes you can see that it is the voting with the highest standarddeviation. Look what they did with Greek and Cyprus. There is no prove for a tactical Voting. And you cannot force them to give points to each other.

x12s xgood except the bold (if you mean the :ru:-gate)

Realest

x12s xgood except the bold (if you mean the :ru:-gate)

Yes i mean the Russia-Thing. The Juries must sign that they make their decission concerning vocals, song, Liveperformances etc.. but the 2 ukrainian juries put him last place because of his bad joke meanwhile they gave him good positions 2 days before.

Pawhlen

Yes i mean the Russia-Thing. The Juries must sign that they make their decission concerning vocals, song, Liveperformances etc.. but the 2 ukrainian juries put him last place because of his bad joke meanwhile they gave him good positions 2 days before.
Ok, I thought you were talking about Yulia-gate :p ;)

But if you meant the situation with :bg:, I agree with you 100%

NNR

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that when everyone thought Ireland would give the UK 12 points from the jury, they gave them to Belgium instead

Pawhlen

Some performances can be found on YT from the jury final rehearsals since 2009, this is :tr: at the jury final 28th May 2010 (the performance that was given 8th place by the juries with 119 Points)

Realest

Just discovered something mysterious on the Czech Voting:

Juror B (Eddie Stoilow):

1 Portugal
2 Australia
3 Netherlands
4 Sweden
5 Denmark
6 Austria
7 Moldova
8 Belrus
9 Bulgaria
10 United Kingdom
11 Belgium
12 Poland
13 Israel
14 Azerbaijan
15 Norway
16 Germany
17 Italy
18 Ukraine
19 France
20 Cyprus
21 Greece
22 Armenia
23 Croatia
24 Hungary
25 Spain
26 Romania

Juror D (Katerina Rihova):

1 Portugal
2 Australia
3 Netherlands
4 Sweden
5 Denmark
6 Austria
7 Moldova
8 Belrus
9 Bulgaria
10 United Kingdom
11 Belgium
12 Poland
13 Israel
14 Azerbaijan
15 Norway
16 Germany
17 Italy
18 Ukraine
19 France
20 Cyprus
21 Greece
22 Armenia
23 Croatia
24 Hungary
25 Spain
26 Romania

It must have been a very huge coincidence as it seems.

blue00eyes

Coincidence of course :D here is example from a certain jury results from 2016 (2nd semifinal)

Jury member 1:
1 Ukraine
2 Israel
3 Australia
4 Bulgaria
5 Belgium
6 Lithuania
7 Norway
8 Slovenia
9 Georgia
10 Latvia
11 Serbia
12 Albania
13 FYR Macedonia
14 Belarus
15 Switzerland
16 Denmark
17 Ireland

Her husband (!):
Everything the same, except:
- Switzerland and Denmark switched position (15-16)
- Serbia, Albania, FYR Macedonia and Belarus in different order (14-11th instead of 11-14th)

Fishy aswell :D

Realest

It was of course a joke with Coincidence :D

Im really shocked that you talk about Monika. I never expected her to do such corupt things xshock xshock
Maybe it would be better if the EBU started to allow deciding together. But I can also imagine that Poland and this Year Czech Rep. were punished outside publicity to avoid more drama.

blue00eyes

How do you know it was Monika? I tried to hide the fact it was Polish jury :oops: anyway they didn't make their rankings separately, where was that person from EBU who should prevent from such things happening?

Realest

How do you know it was Monika? I tried to hide the fact it was Polish jury :oops: anyway they didn't make their rankings separately, where was that person from EBU who should prevent from such things happening?

I knew it from the beginning :D :D

Of Course both of them decided their ranking together at home and memorised it, making only one mistake by putting bulgaria and belgium (4th and 5th) in different orders.

Realest

Azerbaijans Juryvoting in the Semi:

Juror A / B:
1: AL/PT
2: PT/AL

4: AU/AU

3: ME / GE
5: MD /ME
6: GE / MD

7: CZ/ CZ
8: IS / IS
9: PL / PL

10: LV/FI
11: FI/LV

12: SL/SL
13: SE/SE
14: GR/GR
15: BE/BE
16: CY/CY
17: AM/AM

Juror D/E:

1: PT/PT

2: AU/ME
3: AL/AU
4: ME/AL

5: GE/GE
6: CZ/CZ
7: MD/MD
8: PL/PL

9: IS/LV
10: FI/IS
11: LV/ FI

12: SL/SE
13: SE/SL

14: BE/BE
15: GR/GR
16: CY/CY
17: AM/AM

Juryvoting from Armenia in the Semi:

Juror B/C/E:

1: Cy/CY/CY
2: GR/GR/GR
3: MD/MD/MD
4: PT/PT/PT
17: AZ/AZ/AZ

Juryvoting Armenia in the Final:

For Cyprus: 5/4/13/4/4

For Portugal: 1/1/1/1/1

Juryvoting Azerbaijan:

Juror D:

In the SF: Australia #2 / Cyprus #16
In the Final: Australia #16 / Cyprus #13

I think its Time to leave our peaceful, fair Contest for :az: and :am:

hijirio

Veteran
Azerbaijans Juryvoting in the Semi:

I think its Time to leave our peaceful, fair Contest for :az: and :am:

Interestingly enough, Cyprus came 14th in the Azeri televote in the final though.

I guess the commentators didn't mention the fact that he's Armenian :D

CC92

I think the juries have been doing a much better job lately since their votes are to be transparently externalised. Both to what decreasing neighbour friendliness concerns as well as them being more in touch with musical reality. This year was a bit of a letdown compared to previous years but then just take a look at their 2011 ranking when they must have been living in a different space. Televoting is a very fair measuring method for determining the upper places but on a less bright side it makes the rest of the ranking be largely decided by friendly voting. This year it became more visible than ever:

11th :az: Azerbaijan: 37 out of 41* televoting points (90.2%) come from friendly and diaspora-housing countries
12th :pl: Poland: 41 out of 41 (100%))
13th :by: Belarus: 30 out of 33 (90.9%)
14th :cy: Cyprus: 29 out of 32 (90.6%)
15th :no: Norway: 16 out of 29 (55.2%)
16th :gr: Greece: 21 out of 29 (72.4%)
17th :ua: Ukraine: 24 out of 24 (100%)
18th :am: Armenia: 21 out of 21 (100%)
19th :nl: Holland: 11 out 15 (73.3%)
20th :uk: United Kingdom: 11 out of 12 (91.7%)
21st :dk: Denmark: 0 out of 8 (0%) (but 100% local fame)
22nd :il: Israel: 3 out of 5 points (60%)
23rd :es: Spain: 5 out of 5 points (100%)
24th :de: Germany: 3 out of 3 points (100%)
25th :au: Australia: 0 out of 2 points (0%)
26th :at: Austria: got no points
*Not counting :sm: made-up vote

So everyone with a relevant amount of points owes biased donators more than half of them; in the majority of cases it is between 90% and 100%. Which is why I strongly advocate to dilate the range of countries that can receive points up to 15 or 20 entries. When the 12 points system was first adopted 56% of all entries were awarded with points in each national vote. Right now it is less than 40% despite save points being a much more serious issue now than in 1975. Australia and Austria placed significantly more frequently at middling positions than Germany or Spain yet ended up behind them because they did not have that one single biased vote in their favour. Average rankings are definitely more reflective of the collective taste of 'Europe'. If the EBU went back to a full public vote one day they would have to keep this in mind to not again permanently frustrate the countries that are less rich of allies. As for the Top-10, I see no corruption with the order except for Romania and France and Croatia switching positions.

I also like MyHeartIsYour's suggestion of adding a vote which would give every man the same power regardless of where they live. No country would be (dis)advantaged under such a system if the score for each country was calculated by the percentage of votes it could possibly receive.

different countries means different cultures and different music they are exposed to. giving the same weight to every country is what accurately describes europe. your idea makes eurovision become a "who can get germany's 12" contest (which is specially dumb because, like, we all know how to get germany's 12: be turkey). it caters excessively to one (or very few) culture, which is not representative of all of europe. good lord.

National borders are the results of politics and wars, they do not mark homogeneous cultural units. E.g. the :uk: houses four different nations whilst the Greek nation allocates to two different countries they are the landlord of. German Turks make up about 5% of my country's population, therefore about 0,5% of Europe's entire population. This is the same power a national :12: has right now.

blue00eyes

Televoting is a very fair measuring method for determining the upper places but on a less bright side it makes the rest of the ranking be largely decided by friendly voting.
Who really cares about the bottom? I don't care my country was 22nd or 18th or whatever.
It's almost impossible to create a system that will 100% fairly decide the results from first to last place. Desperate tries to invent such a thing will make the voting process weirder and less understandable for viewers and the contest is for viewers and not for jury-who sometimes even made up their rankings to have one :rolleyes:

Top Bottom