Contact us

That One Thread About Juries We Have Every Year

Alaska49

so, juries. for the first time ever i felt they were... kind of useless? and this time, not for wholly disagreeing with the televote. quite the contrary, actually. they didn't do anything other than put australia in the top 10. portugal won in a blowout, italy wasn't close to winning, etc. the televote is truly a lot less predictable and easily won by novelty than it used to be. juries were reintroduced to reward song quality, but honestly the televote kinda does that more than the juries do now (see: australia). what is, then, the point of juries?

what do you all think? do juries still have a place in the contest?

Uvaro

i'm just happy the juries and the televoters had the same winner so we won't have the month long arguments like last year

John1

NO.

Australia was 5th in the jury voting, whereas :fr: was 18th. The same goes with :am:.
I'm literally upset with these results, apart from the fact that the televoting votes saved it once again.

burrito

Don't even get me started on jury.

I was pissed off when I saw them putting :au: on pedestal, robbing :ro: (58 vs 224, ok) instead. Ridiculous :lol:

0scar

:bg: juries not giving any points to the top 10 - seems fishy.
:gr:/:cy:, :md:/:ro:, :se:/:no:/:dk:/:fi: juries.. :rolleyes: Look at :be: and :nl:, we gave Belgium 2 points and Belgium gave us nothing. That's what you have neighbours for xheart

:au: and :se: ending up so high while especially :fr: ended up so low..

DaFlo

Banned
Juries are a joke

Australia bye
Bulgaria tactical voting bless
Greece/Cyprus absolute bye
Nordics ...

LoveHate

The Finnish jury giving our 12 to Sweden was the biggest disappointment of the night for me. The act itself deserved points (or a point), but top of the board, really? REALLY?!? What the hell were they thinking?

And as if it could get worse, 10 points to Australia. What's wrong with these people?

FilipFromSweden

Always so damn much complaining about the juries, when are people going to be pleased? They literally pushed a non-English old school act for the win, not even Loreen or Alexander Rybak has ever gotten that much jury points. No one has ever gotten that much jury points I believe.

But no, people have to be petty: they didn't like the pop sound of Australia and Sweden so they must rag on something that couldn't be more subjective: taste in music.

mgru

People complain about juries because they juries are completely f u c k e d :lol:

Don't know how blind you must be not to see it :D

Alaska49

Always so damn much complaining about the juries, when are people going to be pleased? They literally pushed a non-English old school act for the win, not even Loreen or Alexander Rybak has ever gotten that much jury points. No one has ever gotten that much jury points I believe.

But no, people have to be petty: they didn't like the pop sound of Australia and Sweden so they must rag on something that couldn't be more subjective: taste in music.

portugal was almost a bigger televote blowout than a jury one. in fact all non-english entries except belarus did better with the televote. also this isn't even about sweden because they ended up being top 10 in televote but thanks for the insecurity and persecution complex.

0scar

I'm not complaining on the juries in general, I'm complaining on certain "events" that occurred with the juries. :cy: and :gr: exchanging 12s for example. You can't deny that giving a 4th place to :au: while it received only 2 points with the televoting is fair. Those things aren't alright.

Of course, they're here for the better, and I am glad we have them, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with their acts, or that you may not complain about them.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
What I suppose is my version of Alaska's "vocal technique doesn't matter" is "juries are regular people who can anti-vote," and after tonight, I stand by that even more. That's, I suppose, a valuable perspective, but does it really have to be 50%? I'd love to live in a world where cult favorites are given better shots at higher placings.

I'd also like to note that any discussion of juries like this is going to be biased towards whatever our most recent example is and that I'd maybe be a little careful about saying "juries don't matter much" based solely on their not mattering this time.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
I've always been a strong advocate and supporter of juries in Eurovision, since I feel it brings more balance to the voting. However, the way the current jury system is set up and the way the current juries are obviously not voting objectively and fairly, things definitely need to change without a doubt. I wouldn't want juries removed, but here's what I would change:

• Give them less power, maybe 25%-75%.
  • More people on each jury. A minimum of 20-25 people for sure.
  • Have each jury member be completely anonymous. They should not be able to have any contact with the other jury members.
  • Have the jury members be from different age groups and from various different music tastes.
  • Only be able to vote for their top ten.

henhu

We can be sure now that Australia will start every year with 150+ jury points. Even if they get 0 from televoting, juries will make a present to them. Juries are much more political/for neighbors voting than televoters so we should get rid of them before they ruin the contest completely.

ZoboCamel

Even as an Australian I have to say that the juries' treatment of Australia - 4th place with 171P - is laughable. I just can't justify it. Last year I could understand, but this time... why? I still don't buy into the 'secret EBU conspiracy' theories but I also fail to see how professionals found that to be the 4th best performance of the night.

I don't think our act was bad, but it was nothing special, and by no means did it deserve to beat out so many other entries. I would've liked a little more than 2 points from the televoters (getting less than Spain irks me), but at least that was much closer to what we deserved than the ridiculous jury score was.

Now, Australia's not the only one - I feel like Sweden was largely overrated too - but it's the biggest example from this year. I'd complain about them putting Italy low-ish, but the televote did the same, so instead my other complaint here will just be grumbling about their low score for the beautiful performance from Hungary. Oh well; at least the televote rewarded it.

As always, I'm never quite sure as to how to deal with the juries; the current system isn't great by any means, but I also haven't seen many other suggestions that I think are practical, and I can't think of one myself either. I'm mostly just rambling here because aaaaargh no don't give us fourth! At least with a lower score there would've been pressure on SBS to send something more interesting next year. I'm hoping they do anyway.

Tinchey

Australia... I just can't based on what was that performance was it ranked so high in jury results? #overit

DaFlo

Banned
Currently investigating some juror points more detailed, giving me life xheat

All five Moldovan jurors had Romania 1st
Ofc all jurors from Armenia & Azerbaijan put each other last
Hovig is of Armenian descent right? That explains why all Armenians put him 1st in the semi, and all Azeri jurors 2nd last

xrofl2 xrofl2 xrofl2

Alaska49

I'd also like to note that any discussion of juries like this is going to be biased towards whatever our most recent example is and that I'd maybe be a little careful about saying "juries don't matter much" based solely on their not mattering this time.
this isn't false but what actually drove me to start the thread was the televote. i've been saying for years that the televote is more inclusive and honest than most people give it credit for, and every year the televote seems to become better in that aspect. i don't like salvador very much, but the fact he was a televote blowout shows how open minded people really are. why do we need juries if at this point they really are, in fact, normal people with an anti-vote, but also with an outdated mindset?

Top Bottom