Contact us

Televoting enabled during entire 2010 shows

MrJadeEwen

if the UK are voting in Ireland's semi i'm just gonna keep voting for Ireland to prove the point that this is a stupid idea :evil:

imno12u

I dont see what the problem with this is. I often have difficulty getting through on the phones because of thousands of other people trying to get through at the same time- a 2-hour voting widow will ease traffic

Anjeza

imno12u said:
paddyirl said:
How are you supposed to know who to vote for you haven't heard every preformance.

Like most Eurovision fans, I listen to all the songs before the actual show so have already made my decision by the time the show has started

Yes, but not everybody who is watching Eurovision is as crazy about it as we are :) I just have to look at my family, they are listining to the songs the first time in the (semi-) final. And people like them are the vast majority of Eurovision viewers. So the new voting rule is in my opinion unfair to the countries who have to start at the end - it is simply a difference if you can vote for a song for 90 minutes or only for 20 minutes.

imno12u

Anjeza said:
imno12u said:
paddyirl said:
How are you supposed to know who to vote for you haven't heard every preformance.

Like most Eurovision fans, I listen to all the songs before the actual show so have already made my decision by the time the show has started

Yes, but not everybody who is watching Eurovision is as crazy about it as we are :) I just have to look at my family, they are listining to the songs the first time in the (semi-) final. And people like them are the vast majority of Eurovision viewers. So the new voting rule is in my opinion unfair to the countries who have to start at the end - it is simply a difference if you can vote for a song for 90 minutes or only for 20 minutes.

When they trialled this in JESC people said the songs performed later would not do well- the last song performed won. This seems to be a better system than the one we have currently- televotes only account for 50% of the vote anyway

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
And there are two factors we all need to consider as well

1. People don't just call in dozens and dozens of times as it is not cheap. The vast majority of people will not waste all of their hard earned euros (or any currency out there) on one song. Those who would only vote for the country rather than a song will vote for it, regardless of the open voting.

2. The disadvantage of an early start number is that a lot of viewers only halfway (or even more) through the show, so songs performed later on always had this big big big (and IMO opinion unfair) advantage. I always hated it when people listened only to the last 5 songs of the night and vote for their favorite out of those. So even if we assume that early voting windows is an advantage to those songs having an early start number, the fact that a lot of viewers dont' even listen to those songs will even it out. And with juries having a 50% say in the outcome I don't think this will have that much of an impact on the total outcome anway!

Sabrewulf238

This has to be the most messed up feature I've ever seen implemented in any event in my life.

Do they have no common sense!? :?

Sure there may be people who will wait until all the songs are finished to vote but there will still be people voting during that time and I fear that it will have an unfair effect on the results.

The first song to perform will have like an hour to gather votes and the last song will have 15 minutes to gather votes.

Seriously....I mean....seriously *slams head on desk*

paddyirl

I loved Montenegro before Eurovision, her preformance was dreadful so I didn't vote for her.
Same with Armenia in 2008, bad preformance means I won't vote even if the song is good on its own.

So knowing the songs beforehand shouldn't be the only consideration.

dizzydjc

I think we're all forgetting the fact that even though the songs at the beginning get more time for more votes, they're only performing for 3 minutes before moving on to the other.

Most general eurovision viewers will just vote for the song that stands out the most, they won't remember every single entry from start to finish without some sort of recap.

A-lister

Veteran
This rule is totally idiotic and prove that EBU only thinks about the cash...

What's the deal with brining in 50% juries and then make it even easier for diaspora voting this way? It's totally useless...

This seems unfair but i don't think it will effect the results so much but of course i prefer the old system.

VictoriaLT

Asiye said:
This seems unfair but i don't think it will effect the results so much but of course i prefer the old system.

Yeah, I think totally the same. It really unfair to vote for songs until you didn't hear all songs and performances. But bigger part of people have their favourites before Eurovision starts so they don't watch other performances so well. :D And me too. :D

paddyirl

Tons of people don't even know the songs before the night, like not everyone goes on youtube before or watches the preview show.

Wezqu

Also the performance of the song is as important as the song. If the performance is poor then it does hurt the song. Many people will take the performance in consideration when they vote.

Borderline

I don't get it! Why is the EBU changing the rules so quickly?
The introduction of the semi final in 2004 was a good move because the number of participating countries increased from 26 in 2003 to 36 in 2004.
Then, in 2008 they split the semi final in 2 parts after 1 more country debuted? (In 2007, 42 countries were taking part).
In 2009 they changed the voting method.
And now, in 2010 they changed the voting method in the semi finals.
Why?
This year, 39countries are taking part. The EBU should have return to the 2004 original rules : In the final, BIG 4 + ESC 2009 Top 10 (Norway, Iceland, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Estonia, Greece, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Armenia, Russia (UK was 5th); Ukraine (France was 8th)] + the Top 10 from the only semi final in which 25 countries would take part.

Why so many changes?

94ayd

There's more of a chance for countries like Bulgaria to qualify, though if that system was in use in 2008, we would've been in teh final. :lol:

Top Bottom