A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but I wonder how this year's result will affect Sweden's song selection next year. There's no denying that the juries (and televote) just didn't buy this one.

Well, for starters hopefully next year we won't get an entry hyped up for reasons disconnected to the entry itself...

And seeing the top. 5 this year, I hope that maybe they will finally do this revamp to MF I've been longing for and proposing for years where we will try to bring more authentic entries, hopefully in Swedish, that are closer to our actual music scene and less of these MF "in-house" songwriters and their tired artificial Pop that isn't really what the Swedish music scene actually looks like.

VirginiaVision

Well, for starters hopefully next year we won't get an entry hyped up for reasons disconnected to the entry itself...

And seeing the top. 5 this year, I hope that maybe they will finally do this revamp to MF I've been longing for and proposing for years where we will try to bring more authentic entries, hopefully in Swedish, that are closer to our actual music scene and less of these MF "in-house" songwriters and their tired artificial Pop that isn't really what the Swedish music scene actually looks like.
I'd love to see those changes implemented! I had no idea that Melfest has in-house songwriters (unless I misunderstood what you meant by the quotation marks), but it makes complete sense to me. In an ideal world, I'd want every country to send an entry that represents their musical culture and/or is reflective of the modern popular sound. By this point, we all know that Sweden does well-produced pop music. They need to look further inward and start giving us something different.

A-lister

Veteran
I'd love to see those changes implemented! I had no idea that Melfest has in-house songwriters (unless I misunderstood what you meant by the quotation marks), but it makes complete sense to me. In an ideal world, I'd want every country to send an entry that represents their musical culture and/or is reflective of the modern popular sound. By this point, we all know that Sweden does well-produced pop music. They need to look further inward and start giving us something different.

I mean they aren't officially in-house which is why I used quotation marks, but de facto I'd call them that because we have a group of songwriters that are constantly dominating MF, but outside of that bubble they have rarely any success, it all looks very suspicious to me knowing that MF receives alot applications each year and yet we end up seeing the same names (even with weak entries).

Sweden is a big music producer, and we're great at Pop, and I don't mind Pop so that wasn't even my point, but the "type" of Pop you get in MF and the names you see there isn't even a good reflection of our Pop scene.

To give you an idea, I'd say that the entries that sounded the closest to what's in on our local music scene from this year's MF came from Clara Klingenström and Danny Saucedo, for starters both entries were in Swedish (while Sweden produces alot of music, especially for international names, in English, the more successful names on our local scene actually sing in Swedish rather than English).

I've been saying this for years now because unfortunately alot of ESC fans think MF is a good reflection of the Swedish music scene, well it isn't really.

VirginiaVision

I mean they aren't officially in-house which is why I used quotation marks, but de facto I'd call them that because we have a group of songwriters that are constantly dominating MF, but outside of that bubble they have rarely any success, it all looks very suspicious to me knowing that MF receives alot applications each year and yet we end up seeing the same names (even with weak entries).

Sweden is a big music producer, and we're great at Pop, and I don't mind Pop so that wasn't even my point, but the "type" of Pop you get in MF and the names you see there isn't even a good reflection of our Pop scene.
Ah ok, I see what you mean. That's interesting that the same group of writers more-or-less dominates every year; hopefully they'll take the opportunity to offer spots to a fresh pool of applicants.

I'm also not opposed to pop music- I love pop and don't want it unrepresented at MF, but as an outsider to Sweden and Europe in general, I'd be much more interesting in hearing entries that reflect what's popular at the moment (which may or may not be pop).

JensJohan

It would have been interesting to hear Björkman's view on this, given that he's no longer in charge. My guess is that a lot of good songwriters simply don't care about MF, while those who keep coming back cannot get enough of it. I also believe that it has almost always been the same thing with a few dominating songwriters, long before Björkman entered the scene.

NeoTen

I've been saying this for years now because unfortunately alot of ESC fans think MF is a good reflection of the Swedish music scene, well it isn't really.
Should that be a deciding factor? I mean, the Spanish send songs that nobody outside of Latin America and their neighbors like.
The Swedish pop formula does work in a lot of countries outside Europe. Every time my nieces open up some Asian boy/girl-band song, half of the writers were Swedish. The effectiveness of that formula is still expanding. We can't just throw it away. That's my opinion though. xshrug

You could... you know... just bring Måns back.

Ezio

Veteran
The first 7 of the running order all fared worse than Sweden in the televote.

JensJohan

Should that be a deciding factor? I mean, the Spanish send songs that nobody outside of Latin America and their neighbors like.
The Swedish pop formula does work in a lot of countries outside Europe. Every time my nieces open up some Asian boy/girl-band song, half of the writers were Swedish. The effectiveness of that formula is still expanding. We can't just throw it away. That's my opinion though. xshrug
I think modern music is based on long traditions. You can hear the gradual change of popular music from traditional folk music to the music we listen to today. I think we were quite lucky in Sweden (and other Scandinavian countries), since our traditional music was quite accessible to people outside Sweden. ABBA could take traditional folk music and wrap it into a new international package, and then others continued from there on. In Eurovision I believe there is an ambition to keep that connection backwards.

Ezio

Veteran
Quite a moment with Carola Häggkvist - LOL. The winner in Italy announcing the votes in the year when Italy wins again, and so chaotic and awkward.

ESC94

Quite a moment with Carola Häggkvist - LOL. The winner in Italy announcing the votes in the year when Italy wins again, and so chaotic and awkward.

Yeah, I cringed so hard when she did the announcement. I was just thinking: "Stop with all these self-congratulation and just give your f***ing points!!" :rolleyes:

FilipFromSweden

Tusse said he is disappointed with Europe ... plEASe have a fucking seat Tusse and know that you got lucky last night

Ezio

Veteran
Sweden wasted an opportunity by not picking Klara Hammarström this year when the Top 6 of the contest are Non-English and/or organic, authentic as never before.

0scar

I think he did well given the circumstances. People have too high expectations and should give him a break.

He did well for what his entry was! But he had too high expectations as well if he's "disappointed with Europe" right now.
It seems rather delusional for the Swedish

A-lister

Veteran
The Swedish media are so butthurt it's tragic to see, they really thought in their delusional minds that their orchastreated push to have Tusse win MF would resonate with Europe, and now when we had a flop (for Swedish standards and even with producers desperately giving us a pimp slot in the final which did help a bit with televoters), they are so focused on trashing Italy and run this "drug" narrative. It's really a low point even for them.

I wonder if SVT will learn something from this, or if they will put their heads in the sand as usual and continue with status quo.

A-lister

Veteran
Sweden wasted an opportunity by not picking Klara Hammarström this year when the Top 6 of the contest are Non-English and/or organic, authentic as never before.

I think you mixed up the Klara/Clara, Clara Klingenström had the authentic Swedish vispop, Klara Hammarström had just another tired MF Pop by the dosens.

Top Bottom