A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
Clara just became #1 on Digilistan (which I guess is the Swedish equivalent to Billboard hot 100 combining radio plays, streams and legal downloads).

Congrats xcheer

I still can't get over how the MF team purposely staged it amateur-ish because for once we had a proper Swedish entry which was a good representation of our music, but as I've written earlier I expected this one to have longevity. While artificial MF entries will be forgotten, I can see this one remain.

Mrm

Veteran
I'd like to see Tusse Chiza and The Mamas in 2022 MF.. xlove xheart

eurovizian

2021 wasn’t such a strong year. 2015, 2018, 2020 were stronger In the quantity of really good songs. 2021 was just quite correct in terms of the success of the quality songs this year.

Sweden must worry about their foster child Malta this year and their lack of Televotes. The Swedish formula didn't work for Malta either. It was a formulaic, fueg-esque Netta sequel designed for the stage. A blatant copy of what has already been good. Female empowerment became a trite matter for a song. Authenticity and the lack thereof are key to success or flop.
Word! Let's hope the era of manufactured Swedish pop is over. Heroes was six years ago, and even back then it was not too original.

innou

Clara just became #1 on Digilistan (which I guess is the Swedish equivalent to Billboard hot 100 combining radio plays, streams and legal downloads).

Congrats xcheer

I still can't get over how the MF team purposely staged it amateur-ish because for once we had a proper Swedish entry which was a good representation of our music, but as I've written earlier I expected this one to have longevity. While artificial MF entries will be forgotten, I can see this one remain.
What a beautiful Eurovision entry would that be. xlove I would back it like crazy. I really hope to see Sweden with a song like this in the future.

LoveHate

Not happening since Mello is the playground for a very limited group of songwriters, but I would like to see a rule that says one songwriter can only be involved with one MF-song per season. Make the Debs, Kempes, G:sons, Jokers and Ljunggrens focus on one song. Would also give room for new faces.

I bims

Veteran
Not happening since Mello is the playground for a very limited group of songwriters, but I would like to see a rule that says one songwriter can only be involved with one MF-song per season. Make the Debs, Kempes, G:sons, Jokers and Ljunggrens focus on one song. Would also give room for new faces.
Yes! And I think the one song they are allowed to enter would therefore be better. If you only have one horse in the race you want to make it count and they would've more time for it.

I think Eric Saade would have done really well, perhaps another top 3 result. We lacked a basic radio bop this year and his song would have easily stood out and done it. :unsure:

edit: also his dark minimalistic staging would have stood out like Euphoria did between all the pink and purple LED mess
Eric would've at best gotten the Ingrosso treatment: Great with jurys, huuuge flop with the public because his act just looks pretentious. And that would continue the public distate for swedish entries and further the narrative that Sweden is unjustly pushed by the juries.

Believe it or not, Tusse not doing so well is actually good for Sweden in the long run. The swedish supremacy narrative crumbled big time and when the next Mello winner has a good, authentic song Sweden could remain a big force in the competition.

FilipFromSweden

Dotter would've gotten top 5 without a doubt, yeah there was a lot of female pop but I still think she would've stood out

While 63 points from the televote surely doesnt sound impressive, he did way better with them in the final than expected, especially after everyone claimed how awful his starting position is.
In the end he was in 34 out of 38 Top 15 televotes. In comparison John Lundvik was in 31 out of 40, Ingrosso in 18 out of 41.

Ezio

Veteran
Awful starting position? So laughable. 63 points is not impressive but a lot better than Malta which came 2nd in SF televoting, when SWE finished 10th. The fortunes were reversed in the GF. With an earlier running order, I‘d say SWE would have gotten a slightly better result than Belgium

Ezio

Veteran
Mello is to them what Eurovision is to Zelmerlöw. Their only source of income. Jk

Jopi

So happy about Tusse being higher with the televote. I knew that this song will resonate with the public, it's so anthemic. In some other year he would probably be in the top5 televote. And Tusse is another super cute and bright person. I wished he was higher with juries, and land in top 10. But oh well...

GWTW1939

The last two contests have clearly shown Eurovision is going though a transition and is entering a new phase of its life. It's left behind the "safe radio friendly sound" that Sweden has sent the last 5-6 years. Melodifestivalen now has to grow and reinvent itself (like it did in the early 2000s) otherwise Sweden really risks even worse results then this.

Everyone was comparing this year to 2010 because of the possible NQ but I think it had a lot more in common with 2008. "Heroes" followed the same successful schlager formula that gave Sweden multiple top 5 places in the decade but came across as weaker and stale in comparison to those. Charlotte was also no Lena or Carola. "Voices" like "Heroes" was the successful formula grown too stale.

Ezio

Veteran
So interesting that Maneskin are number 1 in Sweden,

Sweden must be really hungry for a different taste or they confused them with Mans.

A-lister

Veteran
So interesting that Maneskin are number 1 in Sweden,

Sweden must be really hungry for a different taste or they confused them with Mans.

We'll see if there is a longevity though, usually Eurovision winners end up #1 in the first week here only to fade away from the charts.

No radios are picking up on Måneskin and as you could see from the Swedish televote, it wasn't really the cup of tea of the average Swede. Most reactions I've seen in Sweden have been very negative as well, but I sense a bit of butthurt pride that our generic Pop "failed" (especially after our media hyped up Tusse for months already).

GWTW1939

Except Malta and Greece all the songs that finished top 10 had a strong individual identity and character. Some were more generic then others but they still came across as human and authentic. That's what the Swedish entries of the last few years have been missing. Swedish entry looked like it was made by scientists in a lab or by some computer, no heart (I had the same issue with Cyprus too which everyone in the fandom seem to go gaga (lol) over)

musicfan

Except Malta and Greece all the songs that finished top 10 had a strong individual identity and character. Some were more generic then others but they still came across as human and authentic. That's what the Swedish entries of the last few years have been missing. Swedish entry looked like it was made by scientists in a lab or by some computer, no heart (I had the same issue with Cyprus too which everyone in the fandom seem to go gaga (lol) over)
Dance songs can have their own character as well. If you had various other chanson in the contest some would likely say that Viola had no character whatsoever, you have to put things in context. Saying some styles are more 'authentic' can sound rather vague and snobby. Of course that's what some styles depend on, 'rock' has made it's whole premise out of being superior and never needing to change much. Some more progressive people managed to break away from such a narrow lazy approach, but most rock remains as generic as the worst pop music (which Melodiefestivalen does represent fairly frequently).

Ezio

Veteran
We'll see if there is a longevity though, usually Eurovision winners end up #1 in the first week here only to fade away from the charts.

No radios are picking up on Måneskin and as you could see from the Swedish televote, it wasn't really the cup of tea of the average Swede. Most reactions I've seen in Sweden have been very negative as well, but I sense a bit of butthurt pride that our generic Pop "failed" (especially after our media hyped up Tusse for months already).
The butthurtness was already there before the voting. Swedish comments in this forum on Maneskin were mostly salty.

Ezio

Veteran
Greece is actually tied with Bulgaria. I think 10th place belongs to Victoria, since Cyprus with its 24 points belongs to the Greek nation.

So, there is only one generic song left in the Top 10, that is Malta, which is not a bad song at all. Stunning voice, quirky choreography.

The Greek entry was quite a vocal fest as well.

Compared to 2019, the Top 10 are far less generic. I consider even Arcade a generic, inauthentic song.

Last edited:

SwissKung

Zitti e Buoni is still in the top 5 in Sweden and I Wanna Be Your Slave reached the top 10!

Also, new peak for their album: #2 this week (#4 last week).

Top Bottom