Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran

aeon

There is some scope to shorten the show but the biggest hindrance is that you have to wait until people vote and collect the result.
This year the show lasted 4:14:45
Introduction flag parade 20 min
All 26 songs performed 2 hours
All voting lines opened 45 min
Jury vote presentation 35 min
Televote presentation 12 min
Winner performance 12min
plus 10 minutes in between that makes 4:14:45

Possible time savings
Cut introduction to 15 minutes (5 min saved)
Open voting to 30 min only (15 min savings)
Cut jury presentation to 25 min (10 min s.)
That saves only 30 minutes and much more is not possible as you have to wait until televotes come in and are counted. To cut vote vote presentation by country completely would kill ESC. Even if they would have 100% televotes there is time needed to collect televotes from each country. A Grand Final under 3:40 is impossible.

empo21

Veteran
I don't see how this implies removal of jury like some people are concluding. The classic voting sequence will never be removed, if there's no jury, they'll present the televotes in the classic way.

I'm worried they might be trying to push the jury votes reveal before the televoting ends like in Mellodifestivalen.

shameless

Why is it always when SVT is in charge that they modify the contest? I hate this self-entitlement of one country to rule over the contest. It is sickening really.
With that being said, I cannot see how they shorten anything except for the intro and intervall and tbh these are also the things that I could live without with the most. They better not touch the voting part of reduce the number of participating finalists. But I guess they could very well consider exactly this.

HarryUK

Veteran
Can Sweden leave the contest alone for a change?? 4 hours is perfectly fine for a once a year television event. They were the ones to introduce the flag parade and separated jury and televote score presentations, which made it 4 hours in the first place....

Loindici

Veteran
I'm worried they might be trying to push the jury votes reveal before the televoting ends like in Mellodifestivalen.

Um, well, maybe? I mean, it will help drive televotes to change the situation. But somrhow I'm thinking, juries' image would be tarnished worse than the current model if they fucked up + bookies are more able to change the situation with driving televotes (like, probably mass televotes?).

IDK. My brain probably needs rest.

ESC94

The opening but especially the voting phase are much too long imo. I mean, who the hell needs 45 minutes to cast twenty votes?? For me 25-30 minutes are more than enough. xshrug

empo21

Veteran
Um, well, maybe? I mean, it will help drive televotes to change the situation. But somrhow I'm thinking, juries' image would be tarnished worse than the current model if they fucked up + bookies are more able to change the situation with driving televotes (like, probably mass televotes?).

IDK. My brain probably needs rest.

That's Mello's idea - to have the voters a 2nd shot of changing the results in a 12 song final, but I don't know if it'll work well with 26 finalists.

We'd end up with top heavy televoting results most likely. Would anyone care to vote for a song that's drawing dead in the jury?

njdevils94

Veteran

boyardor

It is very bad to short the grand final to one hour. If they will do it I will hate Sweden.

Mainshow

Veteran
It is very bad to short the grand final to one hour. If they will do it I will hate Sweden.

I mean, it's kind of ironic because they cut the voting procedure by just letting the spokepeople announce the Top 3 scores and now it's only "the 12 pts" announcement to short the grand final after it took them until 1 am to crown Lordi (?) the winner and now we're back to the same discussion because they added a 15-minute flag parade and 50-minute interval acts :D

Honestly, shortening the grand final by cutting some of the voting time/interval acts wouldn't hurt but they should not touch the rest of the event (e.g. few sentences in French, 26 participants, flag parade, the way of announcing the points etc.)

NemesisNick

Possible time savings
Cut introduction to 15 minutes (5 min saved)
Open voting to 30 min only (15 min savings)
Cut jury presentation to 25 min (10 min s.)
That saves only 30 minutes and much more is not possible as you have to wait until televotes come in and are counted. To cut vote vote presentation by country completely would kill ESC. Even if they would have 100% televotes there is time needed to collect televotes from each country. A Grand Final under 3:40 is impossible.
Introduction: I suggest having the Eurovision ident / Te Deum Marche en rondeau, followed by a 2-minute pre-recorded opening seqence. National commentators (e.g. Graham Norton for BBC One in the UK) can talk over this. Afterwards there is a seamless transition to the venue, whereby you have a voice-over (heard by audience and viewers in all countries), who introduces the flag parade. Have the 26 artists enter in performance order (artist of host country may be required to enter last at host broadcaster's discretion). Don't pad the flag parade with extra acts at certain points like they've done recent years. When the parade ends, the hosts appear, and they give an introductory speech. The whole thing from Eurovision ident to the start of the first postcard should thus be 10 minutes.

Lines open for televoting: I agree, 30 minutes should be sufficient. It should be like this:
1st recap
1st interval act
2nd recap
2nd interval act
3rd recap (meanwhile clear stage and put lectern in place, thereby removing the need for another prerecorded filler between "Stop voting now" and start of jury voting announcent.

Jury voting: spokesperson says "Good evening <host city>" in English or French. Saying "Thank you for an amazing show" would be fine as a filler whilst the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 point recipients are displayed at the bottom of the screen for 20 seconds (that should be enough for most viewers). Those 9 countries have their scores updated / change postion on the scoreboard, and the spokesperson announces the 12 point recipient in English or French (host repeats in opposite language). The spokesperson can't give other unnecessary "drivel", e.g. "play Ja Ja Ding Dong, 12 points to Ja Ja Ding Dong" before saying "12 points to (e.g.) France." Each spokesperson should be able to do their complete turn in 45 seconds. With up to 44 countries announcing (I think 44 is the maximum permitted number of entries), that should shave a few minutes off announcing the jury voting results.

Televoting totals: don't have long pauses before announcing the next finalist's total. I remember in 2021, when they got to the countries which placed high in the jury vote, I shouted "Come on, tell us how many points <country> has got". Long pauses drag it out unnecessarily. Exceptionally they could restrict pauses to the last 3 countries (when they've got the split screen up).

Reprise: midway through start scrolling the credits, so at the end of the performance there's the Eurovision ident and Te Deum.

PlasticToad

This is definitely a bit of a mad idea and I can see why it'd be unpopular, but I'd kind of like to see less songs in the final. Maybe just 2 less so there's 9 qualifiers from each semi? But 26 is an absolutely huge number of songs and I imagine it contributes to the infamous running order problem where earlier songs just get forgotten.

In the Caucasian countries Eurovision ends at like 3am. A shorter show would be more accessible - or maybe start earlier? I don't see why they couldn't start at 8pm CEST.

ESC94

This is definitely a bit of a mad idea and I can see why it'd be unpopular, but I'd kind of like to see less songs in the final. Maybe just 2 less so there's 9 qualifiers from each semi? But 26 is an absolutely huge number of songs and I imagine it contributes to the infamous running order problem where earlier songs just get forgotten.

In the Caucasian countries Eurovision ends at like 3am. A shorter show would be more accessible - or maybe start earlier? I don't see why they couldn't start at 8pm CEST.

I´m sorry but do you really think that the casual viewer suddenly remembers the songs performed earlier if two songs less are performed?? It would still be 24 songs. xthink

Top Bottom