Contact us

Possible changes

paddyirl

The place will be littered with dancers/acrobats and the like because you know people won't be adding singers.

I think the show should start 20:00 CET for a more reasonable start for more Eastern countries, sure it'd move UK/Ireland/Portugal start to 19:00 but I don't really have an issue with that.

LoveHate

I think the show should start 20:00 CET for a more reasonable start for more Eastern countries, sure it'd move UK/Ireland/Portugal start to 19:00 but I don't really have an issue with that.

Yeah this is something that should have been changed a long time ago. It was ok a couple of decades ago when there were only some +2h countries (Finland, Greece, Israel etc.) where it started at 22:00, but now there are countries where it starts at midnight.

Chorizo

The starting time can't be changed because the show must take place during prime time in the most important markets. 21:00 CET is the best compromise.

GRE

These are tha changes i would like to see in 2016:

1.One guest country (not Australia this time)
2.All the countries that broadcast the Final should be able to vote,either they take part or not (for example Bulgaria this year)
3.About 8 people on stage

Daybreak

I'm not sure what's the point of allowing more people. They don't allow live music and there's enough room for backing singers, so what are the extra people going to do? It would just lead to more elaborate shows and random dancers writhing in the background.

paddyirl

The starting time can't be changed because the show must take place during prime time in the most important markets. 21:00 CET is the best compromise.

In most countries 8 is still considered a prime time slot for a TV show, and this show is so big advertisers would move anyway, its a highly unfair start time for those in the east and really the only countries who would be negatively effected would be UK/Ireland/Portugal and as I said 19:00 is not an unreasonable time for a high profile show here. I remember in the 1990s one of the most watched entertainment shows on TV in the UK Gladiators would sometimes start at 18:00.

Brandt

Why not ?

I was fine with Australia only for one time because of obvious reasons such as they broadcast the contest for 30 years and besides there is a public interest on Eurovision. And Australia is very European country as life style even though they are much away from Europe. So it is reasonable to accept Australia (only for once, again). But accepting a non European country each year makes Eurovision lose European theme and the point of uniting Europe. There are several countries from Europe who can't reach final even for once or very rarely. And letting a non European country to pre qualify each year is unfair for European countries. For example, why would China even be in the contest? They have broadcasted only for once and the public has nothing to do with European events or lifestyle. This is pointless and very out of point of Eurovision.

EBU should spend effort on bringing EBU members back, instead of brave steps.

LoveHate

So a broadcast between 7 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. is not primetime?

ElRuso

The later starting time would be better. If we move it to 20 00 CET, it will start at 21 00 in Moscow, Helsinki, Athens, Kiev, and 22 00 in Baku, Tbilisi, Yerevan

Chorizo

In most countries 8 is still considered a prime time slot for a TV show, and this show is so big advertisers would move anyway, its a highly unfair start time for those in the east and really the only countries who would be negatively effected would be UK/Ireland/Portugal and as I said 19:00 is not an unreasonable time for a high profile show here. I remember in the 1990s one of the most watched entertainment shows on TV in the UK Gladiators would sometimes start at 18:00.

All of the Big Five and some smaller countries would be against such a change. Prime time starts after 20:00 CET in many countries. In Germany and Austria, for example, it starts at 20:15 after the news and it has been like this for decades. In France it starts at 20:45 and in the UK it starts at 21:00 CET. In Italy and Spain it starts even later, I think. In the Netherlands it starts at 20:30, if I'm not mistaken. The broadcasters from all of these countries would be firmly against starting at 20:00 CET, so there's no chance it will happen.

Unless... China will join and three percent of the population decide to watch. Then China is more important than all of these countries combined and Eurovision will be turned into a Saturday afternoon show for Europeans. ;)

Chorizo

So a broadcast between 7 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. is not primetime?

What matters is the established starting time in the most important markets. In Germany, for example, 20:15 CET is firmly established and the German broadcaster would be fiercely opposed to starting the show 15 minutes earlier. The same applies to other countries. The Eastern markets are much less important. They contribute less viewers and less money.
Btw doesn't prime time start at 9 p.m. local time in Finland? At least that's what I've read.

Here's a list from Wikipedia that gives the usual time slot of prime time in various markets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_time

I myself wouldn't mind Eurovision starting at 20:00 CET but the broadcasters would.

paddyirl

First off that wikipedia link is sketchy, it alleges Ireland's prime time starts at 9 due to a show being called Prime Time, this isn't the case like the UK 7pm onwards is usually prime time as thats when the most viewed soaps are watched until after the evening news.

Spain is in the wrong time zone to begin with, the fact its the same time there as Belgrade is laughable. One reason large countries like Turkey and Russia may not contribute as many viewers percentage wise as Germany/France could be due to the ridiculously late start, if something were to start that late here I don't reckon I'd bother watching.

Top Bottom