Contact us

Petra Mede - Eurovision 2013 host

NeonProject

Re: Possible Hosts for 2013

I don't understand the obsession with a shallow approach to the host. It also find it pretty disgusting that people of this day and age still have such an attitude towards choosing someone for such a job.

A-lister

Veteran

I don't understand the obsession with a shallow approach to the host. It also find it pretty disgusting that people of this day and age still have such an attitude towards choosing someone for such a job.

What do you mean?

Anyways, I hope and cross my fingers that it's Sarah Dawn Finer. She seems like the person most people agree on could be fit as a hostess, and I think she could be a good one.

As I've written before, I don't see any of the other potential names as good. They're either boring, amateur-ish or just bad representatives of Sweden. But, it could also be nice to have a surprise name that no one really expected... as long it's a good one.

NeonProject

What do you mean?
People keep going on about the host 'not being ugly' which to some extent I can understand... but it's coming across as the main criteria that the presenter must be 'hot'. We should be more welcoming to different kinds of people. Why can't we just have a presenter who is enthusiastic and can speak clear English and French? To me those are the most important things, someone attractive is a bonus, but I wouldn't trade looks for actual job capabilities.

I don't know... maybe I'm old fashioned?

LalehForWD

Unibet odds host/hostess Eurovision Song Contest 2013

:D Haha this is all nonsense of course. The MF hosts Gina & Danny is highly unlikely IMO and I'm surprised of the positions of Måns and Sarah. I think Nassim Al Fakir is a good artist but I can't bear him as a reporter/presenter. Ebba von Sydow or Malin Olsson would be classy, Nour El-Refai would be supergreat. Erik Haag would be utterly dangerous and I don't think Europe would understand. Erik Blix would be just genious. Magnus Betnér isn't even on the list.

LalehForWD

Erik Blix (55), born in Malmö, mostly known for every Sunday morning leading the radio political satire sketch which is part of the big Sunday morning radio news program "Godmorgon, världen!". Erik Blix is nephew to the Swedish diplomat Hans Blix.

LalehForWD

^ Haha, I wish - he would make an excellent host!
No, he's on the Unibet odds list for possible hosts of ESC 2013 (which will be revealed on Monday).

A-lister

Veteran

People keep going on about the host 'not being ugly' which to some extent I can understand... but it's coming across as the main criteria that the presenter must be 'hot'. We should be more welcoming to different kinds of people. Why can't we just have a presenter who is enthusiastic and can speak clear English and French? To me those are the most important things, someone attractive is a bonus, but I wouldn't trade looks for actual job capabilities.

I don't know... maybe I'm old fashioned?

But this assumes that only ugly people can be good hosts and good looking ones are brain-dead and potentially bad at the job?

Actually, you're not being old-fashioned on this remark, I'd say the contrary.

But why should these two things contradict though? I'm not saying "hotter" people are more worth or better hosts, but as for an entertainment show and the fact that the hosts part are kind of limited I don't see anything wrong in the person being attractive? As long as he/she also is a good host of course. I don't think "looks" should be a criteria on itself of course, but I don't think it's a bad thing.

toinou03

But this assumes that only ugly people can be good hosts and good looking ones are brain-dead and potentially bad at the job?

Actually, you're not being old-fashioned on this remark, I'd say the contrary.

But why should these two things contradict though? I'm not saying "hotter" people are more worth or better hosts, but as for an entertainment show and the fact that the hosts part are kind of limited I don't see anything wrong in the person being attractive? As long as he/she also is a good host of course. I don't think "looks" should be a criteria on itself of course, but I don't think it's a bad thing.

As long as they are not Natalia Vodianova ! :D

I prefer entertaining people rather than top-models... It's just personnality.

I guess, Anke is the best host we had in the last years. She's not a model, but she's not ugly either ! :D
The Norwegian trio was great also ! And Solbakken is rather good looking but not "hotter than fire" as Eric would say ! :D

But if there is someone like Mikko Lepilampi.... xheart :D

A-lister

Veteran

^
Anke is quite ugly isn't she? (well taste differ)

Well, but then again the assumption here is that good looking people can't be funny nor professional, and I simply don't buy that.

The black lady of the Norwegian hosts were good, the rest kinda sucked... and voila, she was also the good looking one out of that trio so the theory that good looking can't be good just fails right there.

A-lister

Veteran

I'm surprised that Katarina Sandström has not been mentioned. She's actually one of my favorite SVT personalities and quite frankly one of the few hosts on SVT that is a respectable personality and is good at her job.

She's usually a news anchor, but she has done some side-kick hosting for other projects on SVT in the past (for instance the Noble Prize programs and Swedish National Day celebration). She's very good looking, she's charming, professional and comes across as sympathetic... if we're aiming for a host with the qualities of professionalism rather than being "funny" then I'd say she'd be the best pick out of the SVT people.

katarina_448749c.jpg

Jim

Unibet odds host/hostess Eurovision Song Contest 2013

:D Haha this is all nonsense of course. The MF hosts Gina & Danny is highly unlikely IMO and I'm surprised of the positions of Måns and Sarah. I think Nassim Al Fakir is a good artist but I can't bear him as a reporter/presenter. Ebba von Sydow or Malin Olsson would be classy, Nour El-Refai would be supergreat. Erik Haag would be utterly dangerous and I don't think Europe would understand. Erik Blix would be just genious. Magnus Betnér isn't even on the list.

Where is Lys Assia in that list? :lol:

A-lister

Veteran

Where is Lys Assia in that list? :lol:

:lol:

As for that list, it's very typical... people simply bet on people who have been hosts for MF's in the past and such... most of these names truly sucks.

Lena is ok in Swedish, but somehow I don't see her working well in a international environment. The same goes for Nour El-Rafai who is kinda funny, but I can't see her taking a role as a serious hostess for an international show though.

Gry Forsell and Carina Berg could be good, but they're both TV4 names so I'm not really sure SVT would pick any of them tbh. Izabella Scorupco could be ok aswell, but seems unlikely too for some reason.

Per Lernström could be good actually, a bit surprised seeing him so high on the betting list tbh?

And yup, Sarah Dawn Finer would be a good pick.

As for the rest, they pretty much suck. I guess Måns and Jessica Almenäs could be decent aswell, Måns atleast looks good :lol:

FIY, Carina Berg is actually on Kanal 5 now. Also, Per Lernström is just so... bland, IMO. He's not awful, but he's not exactly anyone to excited about either.

I'm still hoping for Sarah Dawn Finer, since none of the other names remotely interest me in any way.

toinou03

^
Anke is quite ugly isn't she? (well taste differ)

Well, but then again the assumption here is that good looking people can't be funny nor professional, and I simply don't buy that.

The black lady of the Norwegian hosts were good, the rest kinda sucked... and voila, she was also the good looking one out of that trio so the theory that good looking can't be good just fails right there.

Haha it's not that. I'm not saying that good looking people can't be good hosts, I say that I don't want empty nutshells (I don't know if the expression exist in english ! :D ) You know, in th middle of the 00's, countries just wanted to get Miss World as an hostess, even if she has 3 words in her vocabulary... Just like Vodionova ! :D
I like the iddea that hosts are not there just to make a beautiful smile... That said, in France, we can't get what they are sayong because commentators tell us their lives all the time but well... :D

Anke is not ugly, she's lovely ! Plus she's gifted. the blonde girl was very useless... Just like this year. We still didn't get the interest of the lawyer on stage... It's not because Norway used a trio that every country must have 3 hosts ! And for Norway, I liked Solbakken and Nadia was great ! The third one... I didn't find her a huge personality...

Mans is hot and could do a great job I guess ! :D

The worst choice would be hosts like the Estonian one... They caused a big laughing during 3 hours because of the unbearable girl's voice ! Oh, Estonia, the coolest place ever, why did you choose them ! :D

alca

By the way, if anyone was hoping for Charlotte Perrelli, they might wanna forget about her. She's in her 4th month of pregnancy. Congrats to her! :D

A-lister

Veteran

Haha it's not that. I'm not saying that good looking people can't be good hosts, I say that I don't want empty nutshells (I don't know if the expression exist in english ! :D ) You know, in th middle of the 00's, countries just wanted to get Miss World as an hostess, even if she has 3 words in her vocabulary... Just like Vodionova ! :D
I like the iddea that hosts are not there just to make a beautiful smile... That said, in France, we can't get what they are sayong because commentators tell us their lives all the time but well... :D

Anke is not ugly, she's lovely ! Plus she's gifted. the blonde girl was very useless... Just like this year. We still didn't get the interest of the lawyer on stage... It's not because Norway used a trio that every country must have 3 hosts ! And for Norway, I liked Solbakken and Nadia was great ! The third one... I didn't find her a huge personality...

Mans is hot and could do a great job I guess ! :D

The worst choice would be hosts like the Estonian one... They caused a big laughing during 3 hours because of the unbearable girl's voice ! Oh, Estonia, the coolest place ever, why did you choose them ! :D

You use Vodionova as a sort of argument against having good-looking hosts :lol: , she was just hilariously bad but she really was in a case of herself :lol:

Nadia a good hostess?? She was an utterly bore, her face expression throughout the show was like "what the eff am I doing here, I don't care about it, I know noting about it and I think I'm too good for it to even try fake a smile for it" :lol:

Anke was ok I guess, but comes across as a butch lady trying to be funny.

NeonProject

I didn't state that good lucks and good presenting skills couldn't be synonymous... I was just concerned at people putting so much importance in looks. I have a massive issue with current attitudes towards "music" and the world of "celebrity" as a whole at the minute, so maybe I jumped to some defensive conclusions. I apologise if that is the case.

I do still stand by that looks should only be treated as a bonus though. Obviously it would be preferable to have a good looking host, but there have been so many "good looking" hosts of recent years who have had no life in their presenting, they just add further tackiness to the reputation of the contest where it is already suffering. We should be encouraging the contest to not just be presentable, but also full of brilliant quality too.

Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk... or something like that :')

Also I thought Anke was very attractive as well as a brilliant host. She looked better with her hair down though. Similarly Stefan of that year I though was a brilliant host too, but I didn't consider him attractive... I was still extremely happy with him being a host.

Top Bottom