So baby, it's not a maybe
Yeah, I'm too good to be true, but there's nothing in it for you
So if I show some skin, it doesn't mean I'm giving in
Not your baby

Je me casse, je me casse
If you don't get it (Je me casse)
Je me casse, je me casse
I'm not your baby

Boy, are you pouring that drink in my hand?
Thinking if I'm drunk then, I'll give you a chance
Boy, you keep buying and complaining so stop trying
Not gonna give it up and change my plans

Hell no, I'm not your honey
Hell no, I don't want your money
Got it wrong, I ain't into dummies
No-o-o-o

So baby, it's not a maybe
Not your baby

Je me casse, je me casse
If you don't get it (Je me casse)
Je me casse (Je-je-je me casse)
If you don't...

Ladies, if you feel like flaunting tonight, it’s alright, it's alright
Ladies (Ladies), listen to me!
Listen and go right ahead, show you're shining

If you don't get it, if you, if you dont' get it (Je me casse)
If you don't get it, if you, if you don't get it
Excuse my French

Baby, it's not a maybe
Not your baby

Je me casse
Je-je-je me casse
I'm not your baby​

Last edited by a moderator:

GermanBango

My expectations are realistic for Malta. I don't think it will get the runaway public support, but a lot of countries will really react to the message, to Destiny's vocals and to the infectious melodies and performance (can't wait to see the stage show they bring!)

Top 10 is guaranteed, I'm hoping at least Top 5 but I do think there are probably some slightly "safer" songs that will probably unite televoters more (Switzerland for example).

For me, this is the only entry from the Eurovision 2021 season that instantly loved from the first listen, so I'm sure it has the potential for other casual viewers seeing it for the first time to react in the same way. ;)

Her vocals are bomb, no doubt about that then again the message of the song is ... how do I put it ... 2000-and-lateish? Not to mention that we have at least three other female empowerment songs this year. The intention is great and all but "Je me casse" just seems like another bop who needed some sort of meaning in it`s lyrics in order to be relevant ... it just feels insincere and forced. In other words: She has charisma but her song hasn`t got any on it`s own and is kinda carried by her. Russia for example (which has a similar theme) is just way more believable and the song can stand on it`s own. Obvs this is just my gut feeling though.

Either way, she will end up in the Top 5 overall - Destiny stands out and the songs is mainstream enough to pick up votes everywhere. Combined with an excellent jury results (They love Malta, big voices and this kind of mainstream pop that pretends to have a deeper message) this will easy by enough to give Malta a great placement.

One thing that you might wanna explain to me (if you`re up to it): How is Switzerland "safer" than Malta? Like in what sense? If anything I would consider Malta the "safe" one here as it is in English, is upbeat and idk dancy or whatever.

theditz83

Veteran
For me, Switzerland has a far greater chance of crossover appeal because it isn't a song that could be considered "generic dance-pop" since regardless of the effort put in, some people will still hear a song in the style of Malta and instantly dismiss it as throwaway pop.

In that sense, I believe that Switzerland may possibly be in with a better chance of getting wider support from more of the public as it won't be as polarising. So safer probably was a lazy word to use - more accessible is probably more like it, despite the French language xlove

Yoozek

For me, Switzerland has a far greater chance of crossover appeal because it isn't a song that could be considered "generic dance-pop" since regardless of the effort put in, some people will still hear a song in the style of Malta and instantly dismiss it as throwaway pop.

Let's leave that generic dance-pop for Keiino, shall we :D

theditz83

Veteran
Let's leave that generic dance-pop for Keiino, shall we :D
I know exactly what many people's feelings about KEiiNO is, but you are exactly correct - their song cut through and resonated the most with the viewers, so you can never be too sure of what style of song will be most popular. But looking at winners for recent years (Netta aside) I think Gjon's Tears would sound like it has a better chance of getting the big points from the public.

Fingers crossed the viewers are looking for a party though xpray

theditz83

Veteran
I can't imagine him singing his own song in a way he could stand a chance to win. The song is perfect - its live executions are not.
Who knows what clever benefits from pre-recorded backing vocals some artists might have this year. Will definitely be interesting xup

Yoozek

Who knows what clever benefits from pre-recorded backing vocals some artists might have this year.
These will be useful for `Sugar`, `Adrenalina`, etc. - it doesn'tt really work for ballad entries which are based on a single powerful voice.
Take Tamta & Duncan for example.
If Tamta misses something - it's cool, backing singers are set to 120% volume and it's a dance track so no one cares.
On the other hand, if Duncan fails some important notes - background singers won't save it in the same way and it will sound more harsh - especially because you've wanted that song and that kind of performance and now you're failing to deliver.

Based on that - imho Gjon might miss the TOP5 unless he really nails those 3 minutes.

theditz83

Veteran
But we don't know whether the pre-recorded backing vocals rule also allows for background layering like we hear especially in the chorus of the studio version of Tout l'univers (it's Gjon's own vocals that are the back-up as well). But I do take your point that it can be a little easier to disguise live vocal errors with busier tracks.

tararaaam

I am also not so sure that backing track can save him. In this type of songs, a single, clean voice is the way to go. If they start mixing up with the backing track, they may manage to avoid any serious problems, but it may come off as messy and unclean, and then it’s definitely not as impactful.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
What Gjon needs foremost is a humanizing component that boosts his charisma. SJB might have him covered on that, but as of now, both Destiny and Barbara have him beat. He needs to pick it up and cruise past them.

I am legit starting to think Destiny will win it all. She's all over the media, she's getting the exposure, there is built-in televote appeal. I think it's going to happen.

Carlkva

I hope the Juries give her "only" an 8th Place or sth like this.
That would be so inconsistent with past years though, where gospel elements, great voices, and feminist messages have been marked up by the juries. This song contains all of those elements, it just screams high jury vote.
The televote is more of a question, where I can see it place anywhere from 1st if they absolutely nail the staging, to bottom 10, which would be incredibly undeserved.

tararaaam

I am starting to be sure it’s between her and France, and maybe Italy. Those 3 are the only ones having the whole package imo.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Destiny is coming top three with juries. I don't even think I need to mansplain why, it's that obvious.

Personally I expect the jury top 3 to simply be the three songs currently in the top three odds (although... didn't Switzerland drop to the same level as Italy recently? #VERONA2022). In terms of televote, it really depends on well the other potential Televote cannons (Norway, Italy, Lithuania, Russia) do, but I think the fun factor + Destiny's voice will be sufficient to win over enough people for a top 3 in the televote as well.

So yeah I think she just wins. France, Shitzerland, Italy and someone random we're not expecting (Russia? Iceland?) are rounding up the top five.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Who cares about televoting... Prayer circle for Malta to win overall???

tumblr_pgmsi27SeJ1xh0s9ao1_400.gifv

Remisan

And, 100% certain, she'll be 1st with the juries.
I agree with you. She has wonderful voice and good song (yes, it is mine personal 17-20 place, but I can see her advantages and believe that she deserves high jury result for technics and quality).

As for her victory, she has good chances, but I don't see 100% victory.
Much will depend on:
1) how the jury will assess other participants. I think Barbara deserves the same high marks as Destiny. But does the jury think so? And will the jury give enough points to Switzerland and Italy?
2.how good the stage performance would be
3. how many fans does she actually have (I think there are fewer fans of her song than some others)

Iker

Veteran
She'll be lucky if she gets lower top10 televote result.
And, 100% certain, she'll be 1st with the juries.
I don't see her winning for some reason (just my gut feeling + maybe some anti-Malta bias, lol) but placing very high overall, yes.

Iker

Veteran
It is one of the better produced songs this year but it would need some serious luck, lit live performance and good draw to win. The last time anything outside of my personal top 10 won in ... 2011. And I want to add that I also find the message little contrived and forced in.

Top Bottom