Contact us

Lena set to defend her crown in 2011! Good or bad idea?

Lena set to defend her crown in 2011! Good or bad idea?

• Total voters

94ayd

Well, if you had no idea who Lena was, I don't think your first association with her would be Germany... ;)

A-lister

Veteran
Maybe she should try and sing in the English language this time :lol:

Why? She's representing Germany not UK, and IN Germany aswell.

As for her English; she tries too hard, but she's no worse than many others.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Her whole accent thing is done on purpose and was pushed by Raab and Lena herself when it became such a hot topic (meaning you either love it or hate it but you notice it). This has become part of her charm so I'm pretty certain her next song will be in english, too.

BallsOfSteel

Lena representing Germany... again?!

Hey Folks,

I was talking to a friend of mine from Germany and he told me that not only Lena will represent Germany again - they didnt even had a contest with other young singers, it was decided in the same night she won in Oslo - but also that she is going to present her new CD songs (about 12) and Germany will have to pic one of them to be presented in Dusseldorf.

I voted for Lena last year and was really glad she won, but I also think that she had her chance already and should have given the chance to another young german singer to have a shot at it.

But my opinion is not so important, Id rather know what you guys think about that.

xcheers

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I moved your question over here as we already have a thread for this. People were mostly against it but accepted it as a fact as it was pretty much decided on the day after the contest.

BallsOfSteel

If she and Germany wants her to represent Germany again it's up to them!

As far as I know Germany didn´t have the chance to choose that, they decided it at the moment she won the contest... if I was german I wouldnt be amused!

Last edited:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Well I am german myself and I am not the biggest fan of that idea but it appears the casual fans love the idea and it's set in stone. Tomorrow is the first semi where Lena is going to perform 6 songs and then the following another 6 songs.
It's a different approach, at least the public has a say in the song selection.

adnar

After I heard all the songs I must say it's definately not a good idea.

All the songs on CD are good, but it's not an Eurovision material. I mean - Sattelite was just made for Eurovision and suited the contest perfectly. The song had a very easy to remember lyrics, good chorus, funny and easy going performance. The songs Lena sing now are as I said - good, but mostly a radio material. I remember that when a second single came to Poland ("Touch a new day") I read many comments from Polish listeners that this song is so weak and she had such a promising start with "Sattelite". I think making a preselection from a CD material is a bad idea in general (unless the performer sings some pop music that sticks in your mind easily). For example in 2008 Sirusho had 4 very good songs, all sounded like they were made for Eurovision. Anyway - I am sure that if there was an open selection and Lena was one of the performers, she would win with whatever she sings.

And is it fair? There is nothing unfair about it. German tv made a choice and it's not a first time when one performer represents his/her country two times in a row or many times within few years.

Rusch

Just i dunno who i can't say.. Only know that Stefan Raab knows who he do :D

The point is, that Stefan Raab is a very clever guy with an incredible feeling for pushing songs and placing them. I say, that this "Lets defend the titel" thing is a bad idea, but I'm not sure, if Stefan had the right feeling once again. Let's see. I don't think, that Lena will win, but a good rating is possible.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
There was in interesting article on escdaily

Stefan Raab has admitted for the first time that he is now doubting his Eurovision 2011 concept, whereby Lena will defend her title again. Speaking with weekly journal ’Der Spiegel’, he admitted that “it could be that sending Lena to defend her title was a crap idea (Scheißidee)“.

Raab and his team have faced criticism over the national final semifinals, the second of which saw on 1.82 million viewers tune in. One critic described it as ‘tedious’, whilst another compared it with the programming of the state broadcaster in North Korea.

He did, though, explain how he had to pick up the pieces of the entire Eurovision selection. “I had to build up this destroyed wasteland again”, he explained. Despite initial doubts in the public domain over Lena taking part again, Raab has stuck with the concept.

http://escdaily.com/articles/12453

Charley

That article distorted Raab's statement considerably though. He did NOT suggest that sending her again was indead a bad idea, only that you can never be sure of anything really. All he said was "Maybe it was a crappy idea, but I don't think so"

cool_boy_93

Don't know.I sure only for one thing-no matter how good Lena's song is,Germany won't win again this year.

Top Bottom