Contact us

Lena set to defend her crown in 2011! Good or bad idea?

Lena set to defend her crown in 2011! Good or bad idea?

• Total voters

charlesf

It's official and no joke. Lena wants to compete again next year! She obviously very much enjoyed the experience. Both she and her mentor Stefan Raab stated that they do not believe in "quitting while on the top". She's still hungry.

This gives rise to several questions:

1) IS IT FAIR?

I've seen the odd forumite objecting to Lena once again competing on the grounds that it'd not be fair. I personally find this objection quite absurd. She'll have to compete for Europe's votes much as everyone else. Sure, given her stardom and her winner entry she'll get far more exposure and I dare say also open the evening with her winning song. But hey, at sports tournaments the better teams and players also get seeded...

2) WHAT ABOUT OTHER GERMAN TALENT?

Well, sure, it'd mean no other German performer gets a go in 2011 (unless Lena joins forces with other lead performers on the stage). But on the other hand, Lena's a tough act to follow. Moreover, Lena's at this point still very much "new German talent" herself! There will be plenty of other years for new talent to compete.

3) WHAT ABOUT THE NATIONAL SELECTION SHOW "UNSER STAR FÜR ..."?

In 2011 it'll be bound to be different in that it'd be probably called "Unser Song für Berlin" or such. Still gives viewers plenty of choice. Why change a winning team?

In any case, the ARD/NDR and PROSIEBEN are more than happy to go down that route, as they've said at their press conference this afternoon.

4) IS IT GOOD FOR LENA'S CAREER?

Impossible to say at this juncture. Clearly Lena's not interested in "playing it safe" and is hungry for continuing her ESC adventure. Seems she's now been converted herself to being an ESC fan!

5) CAN LENA WIN AGAIN?

If her song and performance are equally as popular across Europe in 2011 as this year, I dare say she'll win again. If not, well, then she won't win. I don't see juries and normal voters uncharitably refusing to vote for last year's champion on the grounds of Lena and Germany already having had their turn. If they love it, they'll vote for it.

One thing is for sure, Germans will proubly support her. She's after all arguably the most popular person in the country for many years (I'd argue in my lifetime). Not only do people love her as a person, but her music suits the taste of a musically reasonably sophisticated public that bemoaned many past German entries (though not all) being trashy or schlager-esque.

As the New York Times wrote, Lena dragged the ESC into the 21st century and reconnected the event with the record-buying public. A real revolution. And why shouldn't the pioneering revolutionary continue her adventure?

I'm most curious in what direction she'll go in 2011. It's going to be most intriguing to track her "path to Berlin" (yes, I'm very confident it'll be Berlin!). Lets see how this Sommermärchen ("summer fairytale") shall continue, I say. :)

So, what do you think?

MyHeartIsYours

BAD!!!!!!

It would just be greedy - maybe come back the year after but not next year.

Well, maybe it's a good idea for Germany's own sake but it's definitely a bad idea for many people who love ESC and don't like her song&performance.

Personally, I don't want to see her in the ESC at least in the year right after her victory. Maybe 6-7 years later, when she is better.

Margerita86

Given how previous winners has done when they have returned to the contest I think this is a bad idea.
Besides I don't like her as a performer either so I was actually hoping for a german entry I could like next year. While Lena returning doesn't entirely kill the idea that I will like the entry, it sure doesn't look good.

alca

Well charlesf, obviously I wasn't the only one who thought it would be a bad idea.

Quote from the 2011 section:

No you got me wrong. I don't dislike her and I adore her song. The fact that she's so young may affect her judgement. If the people behind her make her believe she can win again (well in the future maybe but not right after her victory) and she doesn't, that would devastate her!

And of course if people like her, she'll win again. But honestly I've seen it so many times. People who got a great result (I'm talking mostly about the NFs) and return again, don't get many votes. If Lena wants to try again she'll need a song better than Satellite! And yes you can find a better one but the fact that Lena will be singing again might have a negative affect on people. Europe might think "OK she won last year, why is she back?". I'm sorry but the way I see it, Lena's comeback won't have the same success as this year... :roll:

charlesf said:
Don't be ridiculous. A Wimbledon champion has every right and is indeed expected to defend his title.

There's no written or unwritten rule against an ESC winner defending his or her title. You can then decide whether you wish to vote for her or not. Entirely up to you.
But look all the "champions" that returned!

Carola - Sweden 2006 - 5th place
Charlotte Perrelli - Sweden - 2008 - 18th
Niamh Kavanagh - Ireland - 2010 - 23rd

Not to mention the ones back in the 50's but those were different times...

Sway

Why not? If she and Germany wants her to represent Germany again it's up to them! As long as her head won't grow, cause then her personality will be gone... I feel like that happened to last years winner and it's a sad story...

Margerita86

Sway said:
Why not? If she and Germany wants her to represent Germany again it's up to them! As long as her head won't grow, cause then her personality will be gone... I feel like that happened to last years winner and it's a sad story...
I feel like Alexander had issues with accepting too many thing, he should have taken more breaks.

charlesf

Sway said:

Alexander Rybak strikes me as just as likable a guy now than a year ago. Give us something tangible. What do you base this opinion of yours on?

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I am really against this idea. Germany has a large and diverse music market, give others the opportunity to represent Germany.

panakos

Banned
Sway said:
what has happened to Alexander?

charlesf

Margerita86 said:
Given how previous winners has done when they have returned to the contest I think this is a bad idea.

Johnny Logan won. Besides, I don't think Top5 would be a disappointment for Lena.

Margerita86

panakos said:
Sway said:
what has happened to Alexander?
Mostly too much work and too little rest. He wrote online that he was having a nervous breakdown about a month, month and a half ago. There was also an article in swedish media about him punshing a wall in frustration last week.

Margerita86

charlesf said:
Margerita86 said:

Johnny Logan won. Besides, I don't think Top5 would be a disappointment for Lena.
Yeah, but that was also another era. It also happened during the era when Ireland won many times. But both of his songs are damn good too.

Deltage

I'll just copy what I wrote in the Satellite thread.

Deltage said:
It seems to me as Lena had as much hype surrounding her as Safura did, just not as much from advertising/PR work. Next year she won't have that anymore and she will basically be old news. So her only way to do well is to become a really successful artist by the next ESC which of course can happen, but I'm not really sure it will (at least outside of Germany).

charlesf

Matt said:
I am really against this idea. Germany has a large and diverse music market, give others the opportunity to represent Germany.

That's of course a legitimate opinion. Though I hope you'll be fair to her in judging her entry on the merits rather than on whether you think this a bad idea or not.

Of course, since you didn't like Lena's Satellite, it's only too understandable that you're not enamored by this decision.

I just recommend everyone to keep an open mind. Lena's obviously hit a nerve in Europe. Lets wait and see what her next entry will bring.

My hope is that she'll enter with something that's closer to her core musical identity, i.e. closer to the quirky-jazzy performances in the USFO show. I mean, her rendiction of "Red Shoes", "My Same", "Neapolitan Dreams" etc. were utterly spectacular. Satellite is quite different from the songs she chose to perform herself.

I mean, she was initially disappointed that the public chose Satellite as the one song she ought to sing in Oslo! Remember that! Though she gave it the Lena-treatment. The original version of Satellite was actually a ballad, check out Jennifer Braun's version of it!

Expect a very different Lena next year round. In Germany, her more unconventional song performances were a huge success. So expect something less mainstreamy than Satellite (a very good sort of mainstream).

My sense is that showing a new side of herself to a massive worldwide public will be more important to her than actually winning. Though of course, she wouldn't mind winning either. :)

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
charlesf said:
Matt said:

That's of course a legitimate opinion. Though I hope you'll be fair to her in judging her entry on the merits rather than on whether you think this a bad idea or not.

Of course, since you didn't like Lena's Satellite, it's only too understandable that you're not enamored by this decision.

I just recommend everyone to keep an open mind. Lena's obviously hit a nerve in Europe. Lets wait and see what her next entry will bring.

My hope is that she'll enter with something that's closer to her core musical identity, i.e. closer to the quirky-jazzy performances in the USFO show. I mean, her rendiction of "Red Shoes", "My Same", "Neapolitan Dreams" etc. were utterly spectacular. Satellite is quite different from the songs she chose to perform herself.

I mean, she was initially disappointed that the public chose Satellite as the one song she ought to sing in Oslo! Remember that! Though she gave it the Lena-treatment. The original version of Satellite was actually a ballad, check out Jennifer Braun's version of it!

Expect a very different Lena next year round. In Germany, her more unconventional song performances were a huge success. So expect something less mainstreamy than Satellite (a very good sort of mainstream).

My sense is that showing a new side of herself to a massive worldwide public will be more important to her than actually winning. Though of course, she wouldn't mind winning either. :)

Aehm, I really liked Satellite and was in my Top 10 so that's not it.

To me sending back the same artist who won the previous almost seems desperate. Lena made history two days ago and by going again the only thing she can do is to damage that image. If she wants to go back, that's fine I would just not be happy with that.

Deltage

There definitely are people that might not exactly have anything against Germany winning, but don't like Satellite or Lena (there always are, I remember what happened when Dima Bilan won for example and I myself didn't get the idea why Fairytale won). So I guess in some way it would be more "neutral" not to have the show centered around her (other than the traditional opening). But anyway, I agree that there should be some other artist representing Germany next year, especially if it would attract musicians that wouldn't really think of competing in ESC.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I agree, use that momentum ESC has right now. I'm quite sure a lot of singers/bands will be interested to represent germany next year.

Top Bottom