24 13.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
I just saw that an apparent Swede co-wrote this song, that is maybe why it sounds like a Melfest NQ. Imagine Dragon meets Schlager. However, this song is melodic and the singer sounds capable. It could be played on Ö3.

SpiritofKeiino

I saw comments saying they looked happier in Poland than they did in Barcelona, I haven't watched the Poland footage myself yet.

CPV4931

I saw comments saying they looked happier in Poland than they did in Barcelona, I haven't watched the Poland footage myself yet.
I have been to Warsaw and their energy on stage was amazing... not one of my favorite songs this year, but their performance and the connection to the audience there was amazing

Bmbriga

I liked their performances.
They also seem nice.
And their song is growing on me xblush

Chrisiam

In a world where no one thinks it will qualify it would be a surprise qualifier. Unless you think it is a dead-cert qualifier and are trying to hide your enthusiasm for it. ;)

SpiritofKeiino

I think they're going to be last place in their SF tbh.
Yeah, Brooke didn't do great at all in the televote last year and I would have considered her song better than Wild Youth's. Of the points Brooke did get, 12 were from UK (Brooke is from NI), and UK are aren't even voting in our SF this year. Next highest was 8 which came from Australia, I'm not sure whether Irish diaspora votes contributed to that? Anyway Australia aren't in our SF either this year!

I haven't written off Wild Youth's chance of qualifying entirely as maybe there is an audience for the song esp if it's well performed on the night. I do struggle to see how it's going to perform well enough in televote to qualify, however.

HarryUK

Veteran
Yeah, Brooke didn't do great at all in the televote last year and I would have considered her song better than Wild Youth's. Of the points Brooke did get, 12 were from UK (Brooke is from NI), and UK are aren't even voting in our SF this year. Next highest was 8 which came from Australia, I'm not sure whether Irish diaspora votes contributed to that? Anyway Australia aren't in our SF either this year!

I haven't written off Wild Youth's chance of qualifying entirely as maybe there is an audience for the song esp if it's well performed on the night. I do struggle to see how it's going to perform well enough in televote to qualify, however.
Girl we all know the republicans in NI voted via the BBC number for Brooke
There's no way the mainland UK public would give Ireland its 12 points in this day and age

Mainshow

Veteran
Why does the lead singer´s voice sound so flat and "under water"-ish in the studio version?

I thought there was something wrong with the mixing in the live version but it still sounds so flat... It should have been way louder/stronger/clearer in the final version!

Chorizo

The music video makes me think that they were inspired by Norway’s success with masks last year. That’s where the inspiration ended because the song is an utterly forgettable filler. My patience with such songs is running out. 2 points.

The music video makes me think that they were inspired by Norway’s success with masks last year. That’s where the inspiration ended because the song is an utterly forgettable filler. My patience with such songs is running out. 2 points.

It's not about imitating Norway. I understood it as something that goes along with song's message about unity. Masks erase differences among people we presuppose the moment when we see their faces.

Anyways, regardless of my respect for rock bands, and this specific band which has been a great sweet personality of pre-parties and has worked hard to connect with the audience, I won't vote for this. It's a rip off of U2 and I can't get over that.

MooseShoes

It's not about imitating Norway. I understood it as something that goes along with song's message about unity. Masks erase differences among people we presuppose the moment when we see their faces.

Anyways, regardless of my respect for rock bands, and this specific band which has been a great sweet personality of pre-parties and has worked hard to connect with the audience, I won't vote for this. It's a rip off of U2 and I can't get over that.
I can kind of understand the idea behind the covered faces but, if you know nothing of the song beforehand, sadly it just comes across as weird, awkward and cheap. And that basically sums up the Irish broadcaster's attitude to this contest. Can someone like :se: or :nl: just overtake them in number of wins soon because at this point it's just ridiculous (but not with this year's songs, obviously!)

Chrisiam

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think the masks have nothing to do with messaging or artistic expression and are being worn because they had a number of different possible revamps in the works and didn't want to reshoot the video for each one so only recorded one and covered their faces so they could reuse it regardless of the version used.

You can kind of tell this in the video as, whilst you can't see the singer's face, you can see their chin and throat and they don't seem to be singing in time. And there are moments where the dancing and movements don't match the music or the moves you'd expect for that part of the song. And there are times when the shot is framed strangely. Like someone's performance isn't in time with the version they selected, so they did a digital zoom away from them hence why the singer isn't as central in certain shots as they should be.

If I am to criticise the broadcaster over this it was the decision to go with masks rather than just record a video on the theme of the song without the band and then record them miming to the version they went with, rather than this one-size fits all video. And the fact it kind of feels the lads have been set adrift by the broadcaster. It really wouldn't take a whole lot to build up even a basic level of hype for them but I've seen nothing to suggest they are even bothering to back them.

I can kind of understand the idea behind the covered faces but, if you know nothing of the song beforehand, sadly it just comes across as weird, awkward and cheap. And that basically sums up the Irish broadcaster's attitude to this contest. Can someone like :se: or :nl: just overtake them in number of wins soon because at this point it's just ridiculous (but not with this year's songs, obviously!)

I do agree that the idea wasn't executed smartly. Mostly because when people listen songs with such motivational messages, they also want to know who is sending the message. Otherwise it's difficult to connect with the message.

Shaney1995

I
I do agree that the idea wasn't executed smartly. Mostly because when people listen songs with such motivational messages, they also want to know who is sending the message. Otherwise it's difficult to connect with the message.
I actually think if Sweden takes Irelands title, then it might kick RTE into giving a crap about ESC again. The current idiots overseeing Irelands process of selection and esc are in their 60s. The head guy is rumoured to step down next year or the year after due to him being due to retire. So ireland losing its record title might force the change needed.

Those in power at RTE are in their 60s and still approach esc as though it's 2001

Top Bottom