17 9.7%

24 13.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisiam

And that is why whenever someone says "Oh I wish Ireland would change the format of their national selection" my teeth start to itch. Because as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter about the format, it could be a thing they do every Saturday for a month at 7pm, a Melfest knock-off, internal, or whatever else, you're going to have the same people picking which acts get on those shows. Which means the same quality more or less as what we have now.

No offence to those who have represented or been considered to represent Ireland mind. But the truth is that I get the same feeling with Ireland's acts as I get with most of the UK's over the past decade or so. They are perfectly fine, perfectly enjoyable, and a lot of people will enjoy them on the night, but as good as they are they aren't good enough to vote for. Which is what I worry will be the case this year and whoever ends up doing it from here on out if the same folks picking the songs are doing this.

Juliette

Awww. :sleep: It's nice, but are the Irish afraid to actually win and keep sending the songs they know won't win, ever? :ROFLMAO:

Chrisiam

Wild Youth has dropped creative director after derogatory tweets about trans women have surfaced. Not sure if the person in question was just the creative director for this year, them as a band in general, or part of RTE's Eurovision staff. From what I understand they have worked with RTE on other shows.

HarryUK

Veteran
Wild Youth has dropped creative director after derogatory tweets about trans women have surfaced. Not sure if the person in question was just the creative director for this year, them as a band in general, or part of RTE's Eurovision staff. From what I understand they have worked with RTE on other shows.

The fact that he also engages with the likes of GB News is alarming as it is
Where were the background checks???

njdevils94

Veteran
Look I could care less if Banham is there or not. He's been with RTE for many years in Eurovision. What I don't like is calling every one of those statements transphobic and worrying about getting the right gender for an attacker/rapist. Read the story if you don't believe. That is a dude and for the safety of women he should be in any sort of jail with women. According to the article that person will be going to a male jail. I'm sorry but you have to put your foot down somewhere.

Courtzer

Look I could care less if Banham is there or not. He's been with RTE for many years in Eurovision. What I don't like is calling every one of those statements transphobic and worrying about getting the right gender for an attacker/rapist. Read the story if you don't believe. That is a dude and for the safety of women he should be in any sort of jail with women. According to the article that person will be going to a male jail. I'm sorry but you have to put your foot down somewhere.

I mean thats just one of many transphobic tweets that Ian had. The people defending him on twitter and other places and hating on Wild Youth are tunnel visioning on that one and ignoring all the other anti Ukraine, anti trans, and covid conspiracies that he is tweeting and sharing cause its the only one where his hatred is somewhat justified.

njdevils94

Veteran
I mean thats just one of many transphobic tweets that Ian had. The people defending him on twitter and other places and hating on Wild Youth are tunnel visioning on that one and ignoring all the other anti Ukraine, anti trans, and covid conspiracies that he is tweeting and sharing cause its the only one where his hatred is somewhat justified.
As far as the Ukraine stuff goes a lot of the older generation do believe it won mostly due to the war unfortunately. I've talked to people online in other message boards non-ESC related that lets say only watch on the night of the semifinal/finals that believe that sympathy was the only reason they won last year. I'm sure he's not the only one that worked for RTE that believes that either.

I mentioned MopManMoss in the Ireland 2024 thread that RTE need to clean house and just start fresh almost entirely for next year. Doubt it will happen though.

HarryUK

Veteran

Nobody is in denial that the crimes that this individual has been convicted of are heinous and deserve the most severe punishment a judge can hand down, however what I take issue with is the generalisation of the abuse that Trans people get on a regular basis, such as a headline reading ‘transgender woman jailed’; you’d never read a headline that says ‘white man jailed’ or ‘black woman jailed’, because that’s racist; equally, it’s transphobic to print such a headline. Also in the UK for example, trans prisoners made up less than 3% of inmates last year… yet are the group who face the most criticism. Unfortunately you are (unintentionally I’d hope) feeding into the hatred by reading right wing garbage and believing every word of it; that then fuels absolute scumbags like JK Rowling to further their discriminatory plight against this minority group.

Courtzer

As far as the Ukraine stuff goes a lot of the older generation do believe it won mostly due to the war unfortunately. I've talked to people online in other message boards non-ESC related that lets say only watch on the night of the semifinal/finals that believe that sympathy was the only reason they won last year. I'm sure he's not the only one that worked for RTE that believes that either.

I mentioned MopManMoss in the Ireland 2024 thread that RTE need to clean house and just start fresh almost entirely for next year. Doubt it will happen though.
Claiming the Ukraine win was political is one thing but he also said stuff about how the war in Ukraine is a "new distraction after covid" amongst other things

MopManMoss

Veteran
Nobody is in denial that the crimes that this individual has been convicted of are heinous and deserve the most severe punishment a judge can hand down, however what I take issue with is the generalisation of the abuse that Trans people get on a regular basis, such as a headline reading ‘transgender woman jailed’; you’d never read a headline that says ‘white man jailed’ or ‘black woman jailed’, because that’s racist;
I dont really want to wade into this discussion because no good is going to come of it but what you are talking about here is clearly because there is a logistical issue with housing trans prisoners which just isnt the case when it comes to prisoners based on race

HarryUK

Veteran
I dont really want to wade into this discussion because no good is going to come of it but what you are talking about here is clearly because there is a logistical issue with housing trans prisoners which just isnt the case when it comes to prisoners based on race
It just feeds the right wing media which in turn feeds the clueless and ignorant in society that are scared of anything other than heterosexuals. It’s all a big distraction. Like before people would blame the gays in the 80s and 90s for their problems, then it turned to immigrants in the 00s and 10s and now it’s trans people that are the scape goat. History is repeating itself

MopManMoss

Veteran
It just feeds the right wing media which in turn feeds the clueless and ignorant in society that are scared of anything other than heterosexuals. It’s all a big distraction. Like before people would blame the gays in the 80s and 90s, then it turned to immigrants in the 00s and 10s and now it’s trans people that are the scape goat. History is repeating itself
Look I protested my own university when I was a student over transphobia but it is clearly not the same thing as the struggle for gay rights, not everything is black and white here of course people will exploit it for the purposes of fear and hatred but there are some genuine issues that involve people that transition that should not be overlooked (ie prisons) but that is obviously a very very small minority

Nothing good can come of these discussions on this forum it is not the place to do this, Ian Banham clearly holds many conspiratorial and hateful views on a variety of topics and it is for the best that he is no longer working with the irish delegation

HarryUK

Veteran
Look I protested my own university when I was a student over transphobia but it is clearly not the same thing as the struggle for gay rights, not everything is black and white here of course people will exploit it for the purposes of fear and hatred but there are some genuine issues that involve people that transition that should not be overlooked (ie prisons) but that is obviously a very very small minority

Nothing good can come of these discussions on this forum it is not the place to do this, Ian Banham clearly holds many conspiratorial and hateful views on a variety of topics and it is for the best that he is no longer working with the irish delegation
I agree that people would exploit it, what I’m saying is the media generalise that and peddle transphobia against the entire transgender community. I do agree that this isn’t the place to discuss this too, so let’s move on.

Good riddance to Ian Banham and let’s hope RTE vet their staff properly in future

Top Bottom