Contact us

FSC #136 - June 2020: The Show! [Budapest - Hungary] | RESULTS from page 3

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
nCagxQz.jpg

Welcome to Budapest - Hungary and to the 136th edition of the Forum Song Contest (FSC).

Theme: ‘Medieval Hungary: The Age of Kings’

4riXBVA.jpg

Winner FSC May 2020
Congratulations! ^^

4riXBVA.jpg

yQwRxUC.gif

The Host city for this FSC #136-edition is : Budapest - Hungary , the Capital and the most pop
ulous city of Hungary and the ninth-largest city in the European Union by population within city
limits. The city has an estimated population of around 1.750.000 over a landarea of about 525
km2. The Budapest Metropolitan Area (which is 7623 km2) , has a population of ca 3.3 million.

9KUBMSO.jpg

The history of Budapest began when an early Celtic settlement (before 1AD) transformed into
the Roman town of Aquincum , the capital of Lower Pannonia . The Hungarians , arrived in the
territory in the late 9th century,but the area was pillaged by the Mongols in 1241–42. Re-estab
lished Buda became one of the centres of Renaissance humanist culture, by the 15th century.

Es6m1BW.jpg

Budapest is a city of commerce , finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education,
and entertainment . It is Hungary's financial centre, and was ranked as the second fastest-dev
eloping urban economy in Europe . Budapest is the headquarters , of the European Institute of
Innovation & Technology , European Police College and the first foreign office of the China IPA

aHuweGM.jpg

Over 40 colleges & universities are located in Budapest , incl. the Eötvös Loránd University, the
Semmelweis University and the Budapest University of Technology and Economics. Opened in
1896 , the city's subway system , the Budapest Metro , serves 1.27 million , while the Budapest
TramNetwork servs 1 million people daily. Part of Budapest is classified a World Heritage Site.

Vrx9UPg.jpg

The previously separate towns of Buda, Óbuda, & Pest were in 1873 officially unified and given
the new name Budapest. The origin of the names "Buda" and "Pest" is uncertain. There are sev
eral theories. According to a legend recorded in chronicles from the MiddleAges "Buda" comes
from the name of its founder, Bleda, brother of Hunnic ruler Attila (who lived from 406-453 AD)

HhAyAsX.jpg

There are also several theories about the name “Pest". One states that the name derives from
Roman times, since there was a local fortress (Contra-Aquincum) called by Ptolemaios "Pess
ion" ( "Πέσσιον", iii.7.§ 2 ). Another has it, Pest originates in the Slavic word for cave , пещера,
or peštera. A third one cites пещ , or pešt , referencing a cave where fires burned or a limekiln.

4Am7ybZ.jpg

The Roman settlement - Aquincum - became the main city of Pannonia Inferior , in 106 AD . At
first it was a military settlement, and gradually the city rose around it, making it the focal point
of the city's commercial life . The Romans constructed roads , amphitheaters, baths & houses
with heated floors in this fortified military camp . Aquincum is the best-conserved Roman site.

ZlSxLN3.jpg

sjeCZ4j.jpg

‘Medieval Hungary: The Age of Kings’
‘A Time of Power: 895-1526’

This period in Hungarian history is often divided into 2 parts: The Age of Árpádian Kings (ca
972-1300) and the Age of Elected Kings (ca 1300-1526) . The freshly unified Hungarians led
by Árpád, settled in the Carpathian Basin starting in 895. As a federation of united tribes, Hu
ngary was established in 895 , some 50 years after the division of the Carolingian Empire, at
the Treaty of Verdun in 843. Year 972 marked the date when the ruling Prince Géza of the Ár
pád dynasty officially started to integrate Hungary into the Christian Western Europe. His 1st
born son , Saint Stephen I , became the first King of Hungary, after defeating his pagan uncle
Koppány. Under Stephen , Hungary was recognized as Catholic Apostolic Kingdom. Applying
to Pope Sylvester II , Stephen received insignia of royalty ( including a part of the Holy Crown
of Hungary, is believed currently kept in the famous Hungarian Parliament ) from the Papacy.

The most powerful & wealthiest King of the Árpád dynasty , was Béla III who disposed of the
equivalent of 23 tonnes of pure silver a year . King Andrew II, issued the Diploma Andreanum
which secured the special privileges of the Transylvanian Saxons , and is considered the first
Autonomy law in the world . He led the Fifth Crusade to the Holy Land in 1217 , setting up the
largest royal army in the history of Crusades. In 1241–1242, the kingdom received a major bl
ow with the Mongol (Tatar) invasion. Up to half of Hungary's then population of 2.000.000 we
re victims of the invasion . King Béla IV , let Cumans & Jassic people, into the country who we
re fleeing the Mongols. Over the centuries they were assimilated into a Hungarian population.

The Kingdom of Hungary reached one of its greatest extents during the Árpádian Kings , yet
royal power was weakened at the end of their rule in 1301. After a destructive period of inter
regnum (1301-1308), the first Angevin King, Charles I of Hungary, successfully restored royal
power, & defeated oligarch rivals. The second Angevin Hungarian King, Louis the Great (1342
-1382) , led many successful military campaigns from Lithuania to Southern Italy , & was also
King of Poland from 1370. After King Louis died without a male heir , the country was stabiliz
ed only when Sigismund of Luxemburg (1387-1437) succeeded to the throne. The last strong
King of medieval Hungary was the Renaissance King Matthias Corvinus (1458-1490). He was
also King of Croatia . His election was the first time, that a member of the nobility mounted to
the Hungarian royal throne without dynastic background. He was a successful military leader.

He was also an enlightened patron of the arts & learning (ref. also his royal library, the famous
Bibliotheca Corviniana). The serfs and common people considered him a just ruler because he
protected them from excessive demands from & other abuses by the magnates. King Matthias
died without lawful sons, & the Hungarian magnates procured the accession of the Pole Vladis
laus II (1490–1516). Hungary's international role declined, its political stability shaken, & social
progress was deadlocked . In 1514, the weakened old King Vladislaus II faced a major peasant
rebellion led by the soldier György Dózsa, which was ruthlessly crushed by the nobles led by Jo
hn Zápolya. The resulting degradation of order paved the way for Ottoman (Turk) pre-eminence

sjeCZ4j.jpg

CPyI4o7.jpg

The Magyar tribes led by Árpád, forced out of their original homeland north of Bulgaria by Tsar
Simeon after the Battle of Southern Buh settled in the territory at the end of the 9th century dis
placing the founding Bulgarian settlers of the towns of Buda and Pest and a century later offici
ally founded Kingdom of Hungary. The residence of the Árpáds was at what became Budapest

kFBKafP.jpg

In the 16th and 17th century Hungary was often affected by war & occupation (Ottoman rule)
In the 1699 Treaty of Karlowitz, the former territorial changes were officially recognized to sh
ow the end of the rule of the Ottomans (Turks) & by 1718 the entire Kingdom of Hungary was
removed from Ottoman rule. The last war-raid into Hungary by Ottoman vassals was in 1717.

lqIljkp.jpg

The 19th century was dominated by the Hungarian struggle for independence and modernisa
tion. 1867 was the year of Reconciliation that brought about the birth of the dual-monarchy of
Austria-Hungary. This made Budapest the twin capital of a dual monarchy. In the 20th century
the empire collapsed, a Republic created, and after WW2 it was a communist state until 1991.

8jkDnAt.jpg

Modern Budapest is a thriving city which has much to offer its inhabitants and visitors from all
over the world . The city has old historic landmarks but also modern ones . Among Budapest’s
modern structures is the Papp László Budapest Sportaréna. Another of the city's newer sights,
the Bálna (Whale) , was opened in November 2013 , at the Danube bank near the Petőfi Bridge.

GVN4Wlq.jpg

This modern shopping , cultural , and entertainment centre, which aims to be tourist attraction
such as, the Covent Garden in London , was designed by Dutch architect Kas Oosterhuis , who
transformed the location’s former 19th century public warehouse buildings into a 21st century
colossal glass and metal multifunctional complex: a meeting point and place for experiences.

2y9bFIh.jpg

Budapest is served by Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport ( BUD ) ( named after Franz
Liszt, the notable Hungarian composer ) , one of the busiest airports in Central and Eastern Eu
rope’ . It also has a huge public transport system . It has hotels and restaurants, cafees & bars
aplenty as well as cultural venues , theatres , concert halls , the opera, museums and galleries.

ujl3sv8.jpg

Budapest has many sights for tourists: most famous are perhaps Buda Castle and Castle Hill
(towering over the Danube , contains many of the city’s most important medieval monuments
, and museums) , and the magnificent Hungarian Parliament Building (the world’s third largest
parliament building, built in Neo-Gothic style, inaugarated in 1886 ref. the FSC Show banners)

HsPImYc.jpg

Other sights are : St. Stephen’s Basilica , Fisherman’s Bastrion , Danube Promenade , Matthias
Church (The Church of Our Lady , a prominent landmark on Castle Hill) , Gellért Hill, The Muse
eum of Fine Arts , Heroes’ Square, & the Millennium Monument , Széchenyi Thermal Bath , Hu
ngarian State Opera House , the Hungarian National Museum , and also the University Church.

uJwJsGe.jpg

Budapest is also a city of sports, and has hosted many global sport events in the past . It has
several Hungarian League football clubs . The Hungarian Grand Prix in Formula One has been
held at the Hungaroring just outside the city. Numerous Olympic, World, and European Champ
ionship winners and medalists reside in the city (in fencing , swimming, water polo, canoeing).

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
aijnKih.jpg

The Host venue for FSC #136 June 2020 is : the Puskás Aréna in Budapest, Hungary It is
a football stadium and multi-purpose arena in the 14th district ( Zugló ) of the city . The stadi
um's construction started in 2017 and was finished before the end of 2019 . It is an all-seater
with a capacity of 67.215 . The Hungarian Football Federation will meet all UEFA & FIFA stadi
um requirements & expects to be awarded the 5-star rating . The stadium is built in the place
of the former Ferenc Puskás Stadium whose demolition was completed in October 2016. Bo
th stadiums were named in honour of the former national team captain Ferenc Puskás. Pusk
ás Aréna , is meant to also host cultural events, conferences, and big concerts and for music
concerts the capacity can be increased to about 75000 which the authorities hope will tempt
big world stars to visit the city ( stars that never hold small-venue concerts ) . They are happy
to host this evening's edition of the Forum Song Contest here in the impressive Puskás Aréna

Od0eX5Y.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rL2KjTp.jpg

Our lovely Hosts this evening are:

Péter Majoros (Majka) and Nóra Ördög

8GdOJni.jpg
J47uaZe.jpg

Péter Majoros ( born 1979 in Ózd , Hungary ) , known professionally as Majka , is a Hungarian
rapper , songwriter and television host. He first became known in 2002 as a contestant of the
reality show Való Világ on Hungarian TV channel RTL Klub. He continued his career as televis
ion show host , and produced his first rap album together with the established, Hungarian rap
per Dopeman. He has since produced several more albums and mixtapes and shown himself
to be multi-talented . He is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Nóra Ördög ( born 1981 in Szeged , Hungary ) is an awardwinning television presenter and ed
itor . She started her career on cable television in Szeged, after which she joined the RTL Club
as an intern . She was presenter on several shows incl. a Saturday show with András Stohl , &
hostess of ‘ A Star is Born ’ and an X-Factor talent show . Transferring to TV2 she hosted new
shows. She has played in theatrical performances in Mórahalom town too and shown herself
to be multi-talented. She is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

KwcFoo3.gif

And we are now pleased to announce

The Opening Act

an exclusive International Guest Appearance
by the top accomplished Swedish Sami-artist

Jon Henrik Fjällgren

performing his newest single,
a beautiful and expressive joik

’The Avatar’

Once again, welcome to the 136th edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Let the Show begin!

tqcd9Op.png

THE-
yQwRxUC.gif
-SONGS

We are pleased to announce

The Interval Acts

a Special National Artist Performance
by the Hungarian Rap/Pop collaboration

Majka x Curtis x Király Viktor

performing their hip
song released in 2018

’Füttyös’

-and-

a Special National Artist Performance by
the Hungarian Hip Hop/Pop collaboration

Kelemen Kabátban feat. Eckü

performing a popular
song released in 2014

’Maradjatok Gyerekek’

We are pleased to announce

The Closing Act

an exclusive International Guest Appearance
by the top-famous French and Belgian artists

Johnny Hallyday & Lara Fabian

in a collaboration singing a beautiful
and epic dramatic Rock Opera-ballad

’Requiem pour un fou’

Thank You - and Good Night - from Budapest - Hungary!

------------------------------

7 day Evaluation Period
The Evaluation Period is 7 days from the beginning of the contest. If you find any songs that
you believe may break the FSC Rules , please contact the FSC Mods via PM (off the boards)

Voting deadline
27th June, 23:59 CET

Vote Collector (PM)
aardvark

OR Use your FSC Private Forum

Keep in mind, that only votes submitted in your FSC Private Forum, or sent to the FSC Mod Vote
Collector, after the Evaluation Period is finished - and within the voting deadline - will be counted

Enjoy! - and Good Luck To All Entries!

------------------------------

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Welcome, everyone to beautiful Budapest, :hu: Hungary! xcheer

In the tradition of the FSC Shows I host/create, the opening and closing acts are International acts specifically invited to this event for your entertainment and enjoyment, to supplement the National acts (the 2 Hungarian interval acts selected by the Hungarian jury + the previous month’s Hungarian winner) that are also part of the FSC Show presentation.

In addition, there are 6 selected Hungarian ‘Bonus’ music videos hidden/linked beneath (also some smaller) pictures/flags in the presentation (most of them chosen by the Hungarian jury), so check well and make sure you don’t miss any of the songs!

This edition’s theme is: ‘Medieval Hungary: The Age of Kings’, giving an historic perspective of the period in the Middle Ages when the various Kings of Hungary ruled this proud nation. The magnificent Parliament Building in Budapest which decorates our Show-banners for this FSC-edition echoes the Hungarian ‘Seat of Power’ in this modern age.

Enjoy this FSC June Show from this beautiful and historic Capital of Hungary, Budapest
tqcd9Op.gif
xcheer

Ps. Due to technical restrictions here in this forum on max amount of images pr post I have been forced to divide my huge, detailed and intricate Show-presentation into 2 parts/posts (not ideal but necessary in the circumstances). I have made the division at a natural point in the Show, about half-way. It should not take away from the enjoyment of the presentation, but I mention it in case anyone wondered.

A-lister

Veteran
Great show @Malagant xcheer

Been to Budapest once, and the view from I think Buda side? overseeing the parliament on the other side of the Danube river makes for one of the most stunning views of a city I've seen, in fact looking over the city from both sides is really something! I should go back one day.

xymothe

❤️ It's wonderful @Malagant, really amazing show! I'm so proud of this event, you worked hard on this, but it is excellent. I hope everyone like as much as I love this!

🤩 Something personal from me: I choose Budapest, because after the first victory, the capital city is an obvious choice. And Budapest is my birthplace also (the ninth district called "Ferencváros", next to the downtown area, and the home of the most popular Hungarian football club, FTC).

🏠 Actually, I have lived in Budapest my whole life, or in its agglomeration! Now I live in the third district, which is also the third biggest one (Budapest has 23 districts), near to Aquincum. My district is located north of Budapest, on Buda side.

✨ Hungary has so many magical cities and places, every year I travel around the country, and discover new buildings, landscapes, etc. But Budapest is my home.

🙏 Anyway, thank you Malagant again for this great show, and thanks everyone who join this event! (and sorry for my english, it's kinda bad, but I hope you understand that).

Journalist

Already been in Budapest. Wonderful city really, I didn't have time to visit all places, but it was magical journey! 👌👌

theditz83

Veteran
Great show Malagant, and best of luck to all countries!

One entry is already in my top position before the listen-through since it's currently #1 on my most played list on Spotify, but we'll see what other unknown gems I might uncover to knock it off its perch ;)

Geborgenheit

The show is great! This month there are quite many known artists for me, and there are even 2 songs which I have mentioned in suggestions. Good luck to everybody!

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Thank you for your kind words, everyone - as always it gladdens me to see that my FSC Shows, which I put a lot of time and effort into, are appreciated and enjoyed by you all! xhug
tqcd9Op.gif
xlove

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:no: For June 2020 Norway brings summer-vibes and goes for melodic EDM/Tropical House! xup Performer of “I’ll Wait”, and returning to the FSC for Norway after more than 2 years, is the famous Norwegian EDM-producer, DJ and artist Kygo with Sasha Sloan on vocals. This is one of Kygo’s new 2020 singles. For more information and promotion of the entry (including lyrics in English) please check out the FSC Norway-thread and/or the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Good luck to all entries this summer month - and remember, stay healthy and safe!
tqcd9Op.gif

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member
BDVqAVe.jpg

The Evaluation Period has passed and you may begin to submit your votes; either by PM to me, or by posting in your Private Forums.

Please note the voting deadline:

Saturday 27 June @ 23:59 CET

No votes will be accepted after the deadline has expired.

Confirmed votes:
:az::br::ba::il::lv::it::mx::no::za::ie:
:at::cz::id::pl::rs::ua::uk::my::ca::cy:
:dk::ee::pt::se::hr::lt::de::ru::ro::hu:
:ch::nl::tr::es::ph::ma::bg:

Last edited:

Journalist

Random TOP 21 by Bosnia and Herzegovina :ba::)

1. ITALY
  2. ROMANIA
  3. RUSSIA
  4. AZERBAIJAN
  5. PORTUGAL
  6. SPAIN
  7. SWITZERLAND
  8. CROATIA
  9. CZECH REPUBLIC
  10. UK
  11. POLAND
  12. NORWAY