Regardez moi enfin et mes yeux et mes mains
Tout c'que j'ai est ici, c'est ma gueule c'est mon cri
Me voilà, me voilà, me voilà
Voilà, voilà, voilà, voilà
Voilà​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
Chanson does not only mean 1950's, chanson does not only mean Édith Piaf, and as much as chanson is mainly French, it is by no means French only.

Bref, chanson is not dead! ;)

I'm fully aware of that, but you can either do a conservative take on it as this one does, or you can try to incorporate it into something more original or contemporary. Indila is a good example of a singer that is incorporating a very French style into a fresh modern package with a personal twist.

anto475

My personal favorite is Manizha and I am completely aware it would have no life outside of the contest :lol:

But what differs that from this one is that it's not only in native language and have elements from the local music tradition, it also tries to push the boundaries and mix in modern music and other elements as well, where this is imo just pretty conservative, dated and non-progressive.

Everyone of course has different taste, and to answer your question yes we should always support the songs we like the most, if this is people's cup of tea then go for it, I just think Eurovision needs something fresher than a song that could have won the contest 50 years ago (of course in a slight different package but still).
Oh me too, mainly because I think she's incredible anyway but Russian Woman is a fantastic song too.

I don't know, I don't feel that Voilà is dated at all. It is very classical and it doesn't feel incredibly modern, but at the same time I think if this was entered in any year before, idk maybe the mid-2000s, it would not have won, and the further back you go the less likely it would have placed in the top 5. I think there's a very modern elegance to it. But I do get what you're saying, I just don't know if that's important at all

A-lister

Veteran
Oh me too, mainly because I think she's incredible anyway but Russian Woman is a fantastic song too.

I don't know, I don't feel that Voilà is dated at all. It is very classical and it doesn't feel incredibly modern, but at the same time I think if this was entered in any year before, idk maybe the mid-2000s, it would not have won, and the further back you go the less likely it would have placed in the top 5. I think there's a very modern elegance to it. But I do get what you're saying, I just don't know if that's important at all

Oh cool we have the same fav xclap

I dunno what word describes it the best, maybe conservative is better than "dated". But you are kinda making the point I also tried to make (but maybe it didn't come across), that this works in the Eurovision bubble and like you said it could have potentially won in any given year, but that is my concern a bit with Eurovision that in some ways it's so detached, when something is "modern" it's still a decade too late, or something is conservative and wouldn't have a life outside of the contest, or we have those attempts as something different that could add some flavor to the contest if winning but they're also few.

HayashiM

Veteran
I'm fully aware of that, but you can either do a conservative take on it as this one does, or you can try to incorporate it into something more original or contemporary. Indila is a good example of a singer that is incorporating a very French style into a fresh modern package with a personal twist.
I understand what you're hinting at and that there are many people who probably feel the same like you do, but from my perspective, certain things are just timeless, even if they sound somewhat conservative...

Oh and btw - even if this chanson wins, it's still not gonna cause even 10% of the credibility issues that 2018's winner did (in the eyes of the general - really general - public). With majority of artists, Toy really is not something you want to use to convince them to consider taking part in Eurovision as something that is worth their time... And I am very sorry, neither is Russian Woman in my opinion, even if that is a song I can personally enjoy, unlike Toy.

I don't say Eurovision should only be serious, that it shouldn't be silly/about fun/100% apolitical, that its songs shouldn't have a message. But if we're talking of its image in the eyes of the general public, I think that yes, it could use a tiny bit more of seriousness. It's much more the "foolish and political" perception I'd be worried about first, rather than "dated". Of course, this seriousness can also be provided by Italy or Switzerland this year, I won't be as thrilled, but I won't be mad either. I just really don't see France as all that "credibility threatening", for me, it's rather "credibility enhancing".

That's purely from my perspective, of course, I know many will feel very negative about these opinions of mine.

harey

Same as @A-lister , I wish that something more fresh and out of the box (and in a native language) will win, because it would give globally a good impulse for countries to try more than playing safe. 🔥

VikingTiger

I am so much looking forward to seeing Barbara on stage - seing the whole act, I mean! If this should win I would be a very happy camper.
And @A-lister... Again I read you using the word "dated"... obviously used in a negativ way... I wont get started once again.
But something that makes me love the ESC is that mixture of genres and entries. There are timeless entries and there are "oldies" alongside with more up to date stuff. There's pop, there's rock, there are sing-along songs and there are those very eurovisive ethnic bops. And every year some songs go big in their own country even though not making it in the contest.
I think this is what makes ESC still have a broad appeal; and people of different ages and with different musical interests and tastes still get together in front of their tellies once a year. Because everyone can probably find somehing they like - and also something they can mock. So if something more timeless wins every now and then it's a good thing. My partner finally found Eurovision worth following they year Sobral won. There are actually many people that do not follow the top 20s... and their opinion also matters. At least in the ESC.

A-lister

Veteran
I understand what you're hinting at and that there are many people who probably feel the same like you do, but from my perspective, certain things are just timeless, even if they sound somewhat conservative...

Oh and btw - even if this chanson wins, it's still not gonna cause even 10% of the credibility issues that 2018's winner did (in the eyes of the general - really general - public). With majority of artists, Toy really is not something you want to use to convince them to consider taking part in Eurovision as something that is worth their time... And I am very sorry, neither is Russian Woman in my opinion, even if that is a song I can personally enjoy, unlike Toy.

I don't say Eurovision should only be serious, that it shouldn't be silly/about fun/100% apolitical, that its songs shouldn't have a message. But if we're talking of its image in the eyes of the general public, I think that yes, it could use a tiny bit more of seriousness. It's much more the "foolish and political" perception I'd be worried about first, rather than "dated". Of course, this seriousness can also be provided by Italy or Switzerland this year, I won't be as thrilled, but I won't be mad either. I just really don't see France as all that "credibility threatening", for me, it's rather "credibility enhancing".

That's purely from my perspective, of course, I know many will feel very negative about these opinions of mine.

With all due respect but let's agree to disagree here, this whole idea that if an entry is fun and quirky it means "bad rep" for Eurovision, but if an entry is "conservative" (preferably a ballad) and sounds like something that could have won the contest decades ago then suddenly it's "credible", is imo one of this contest's main issues and it's exactly why it struggles to have any proper impact outside of its bubble. Personal taste aside, but "Toy" went viral even before the contest and did more than most winners in the past decades managed to do combined.

If all the contest can manage to do is to produce winners that no one cares about outside of it, that are so detached to the world outside and sounds more like we're locked into a time-capsule, then no it's not helping the credibility, quite the contrary.

Also, fun doesn't equal lacking seriousness, I will not sign onto the idea that when something is entertaining or lighthearted it's somehow lacking credibility, there are of course joke entries that were just mockery of the contest, but I think we shouldn't mix up the cards here. Alot of popular music out there is fun and lighthearted, music is for different moods.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I am so much looking forward to seeing Barbara on stage - seing the whole act, I mean! If this should win I would be a very happy camper.
And @A-lister... Again I read you using the word "dated"... obviously used in a negativ way... I wont get started once again.
But something that makes me love the ESC is that mixture of genres and entries. There are timeless entries and there are "oldies" alongside with more up to date stuff. There's pop, there's rock, there are sing-along songs and there are those very eurovisive ethnic bops. And every year some songs go big in their own country even though not making it in the contest.
I think this is what makes ESC still have a broad appeal; and people of different ages and with different musical interests and tastes still get together in front of their tellies once a year. Because everyone can probably find somehing they like - and also something they can mock. So if something more timeless wins every now and then it's a good thing. My partner finally found Eurovision worth following they year Sobral won. There are actually many people that do not follow the top 20s... and their opinion also matters. At least in the ESC.

I actually don't disagree with you, I completely agree that Eurovision is a place for musical diversity, but I think you might have misunderstood me when you think I used the word "dated" in a negative way, my reasoning here is more constructive than that. I even said that I don't dislike the song, in fact I was clear that it has many elements that I think are important in Eurovision and that I think Eurovision should be all for (the use of native language, representing local music culture), but yes I do stick to my belief that regardless of personal taste, it would be good for the contest if the winners can have at least some impact outside of the bubble.

Year after year I see all these audience numbers for the contest and it's undoubtedly popular, but yet it rarely manages to build on that momentum and I am not surprised about that seeing winners come out from it that has little chance to have a life outside of it.

It's a tricky balance tbh, because I also don't want Eurovision to turn into a Popfest which only tries to produce "hits", but I also think it is important for its brand that it can lead the way and have some impact on the music scene, I believe that Eurovision with its audience and reach can even start trends, it doesn't need to copy them, but then the contest needs to have a foot in this time and age too and maybe not always look backwards.

Romeo

I have made my opinion on this song very clear. It is a song that Edith Piaf was about to release but changed her mind at the last minute.... BUT... after listening to it for months and seeing Barbara perform it today I would be more than happy for this to win. It is classy, emotional, beautiful, and clearly dated but it's my guilty pleasure and I wouldn't mind Paris 2022 (although I actually think it will be Ta'Qali or Rome 2022).

But I put my hands up and agree I was wrong to be a hater of this months ago (I still would have preferred Terence James to have represented France).

That's the most you are getting from me I will not admit I was wrong every again! :LOL:

Zeus

I'm getting more and more sure about France winning the juryvote, with Switzerland second.

But I still have my doubts about the televotes. At the same time, Italy will probably not come close to France with the juryvoting.

The biggest thread for France might be Switzerland doing well in both, or Italy just really having an ultra massive televote win.

HayashiM

Veteran
With all due respect but let's agree to disagree here, this whole idea that if an entry is fun and quirky it means "bad rep" for Eurovision, but if an entry is "conservative" (preferably a ballad) and sounds like something that could have won the contest decades ago then suddenly it's "credible", is imo one of this contest's main issues and it's exactly why it struggles to have any proper impact outside of its bubble. Personal taste aside, but "Toy" went viral even before the contest and did more than most winners in the past decades managed to do combined.

That's not really how I meant it nor how I see things - for instance I'd quote both Soldi and Zitti e Buoni as examples of fun and non-conservative, yet they'd be excellent rep for Eurovision as winners in my opinion. Modern, fun, but still serious for most musicians... Which Toy isn't, as viral as it was. It's the at least somewhat serious aspect as perceived from outside of the bubble I am after, be it modern or conservative. Serious doesn't equal "slow", it doesn't equal "conservative".

The one issue with Eurovision starting trends is that once the winner is announced, there aren't many ways to remind most of the audience of its product. The king gets crowned and is almost immediately dead. In this way Eurovision's music really is disposable to some extent. To change this, you'd need radios to play the contest's songs more often once it ends, more than they do now, and to achieve that... You need the contest to be taken more seriously, starting with artists outside of it themselves.

I don't say the songs would need to get super radiofriendly. Once the general perception changes to "Eurovision is quality and its winner is Someone", everyone will want to play its songs, radiofriendly or not. But that really isn't the perception of the brand in most countries right now. Eurovision isn't the Olympics of music. The perception of the decision makers is it is "political, cheesy and generally a joke". Even if we know that isn't necessary true anymore, this is not a position you can set trends from. It needs to change first through winners who aren't a complete joke for the general public and decision makers from outside of the bubble. Serious songs, which of course doesn't necessarily mean conservative nor "bland".

Zitti e Buoni, Voilà, Tout l'Univers - all could be a great step in this direction. So were APD and Arcade (even though I had Arcade in my personal bottom 5 in 2019). So would've been for example Lie to Me or Soldi. On the other hand I Don't Feel Hate (as much as I personally like it), Russian Woman or Toy... Nope. Sorry, but nope.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
İts strange to read about Eurovision loosing credibility if France wins if its kinda opposite. Quality song, its not shame to show it your friends or play somewhere, its very classical French song which could live without Eurovision. But also comparing APD, this still has great staging and team work.

İ said few months ago and repeat now - thats the most possible candidate to win contest becausw juries will love this - vocal, quality, classy, staging, message, French language, televotes will love this too for all same but also because its old good French chanson many people love and have warm nostalgic feelings towards

HayashiM

Veteran
I'm getting more and more sure about France winning the juryvote, with Switzerland second.

But I still have my doubts about the televotes. At the same time, Italy will probably not come close to France with the juryvoting.

The biggest thread for France might be Switzerland doing well in both, or Italy just really having an ultra massive televote win.

That's precisely the way I see it as well. France and Switzerland will both do great with the juries, while Switzerland is probably slightly more likely to also make it big with the televotes and thus win. Malta, Lithuania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Iceland... I can see all of them doing great with one set, but perhaps not well enough with both. And Italy is the wildcard that could either totally crash, or also smash everything.

A-lister

Veteran
That's not really how I meant it nor how I see things - for instance I'd quote both Soldi and Zitti e Buoni as examples of fun and non-conservative, yet they'd be excellent rep for Eurovision as winners in my opinion. Modern, fun, but still serious for most musicians... Which Toy isn't, as viral as it was. It's the at least somewhat serious aspect as perceived from outside of the bubble I am after, be it modern or conservative. Serious doesn't equal "slow", it doesn't equal "conservative".

The one issue with Eurovision starting trends is that once the winner is announced, there aren't many ways to remind most of the audience of its product. The king gets crowned and is almost immediately dead. In this way Eurovision's music really is disposable to some extent. To change this, you'd need radios to play the contest's songs more often once it ends, more than they do now, and to achieve that... You need the contest to be taken more seriously, starting with artists outside of it themselves.

I don't say the songs would need to get super radiofriendly. Once the general perception changes to "Eurovision is quality and its winner is Someone", everyone will want to play its songs, radiofriendly or not. But that really isn't the perception of the brand in most countries right now. Eurovision isn't the Olympics of music. The perception of the decision makers is it is "political, cheesy and generally a joke". Even if we know that isn't necessary true anymore, this is not a position you can set trends from. It needs to change first through winners who aren't a complete joke for the general public and decision makers from outside of the bubble. Serious songs, which of course doesn't necessarily mean conservative nor "bland".

Zitti e Buoni, Voilà, Tout l'Univers - all could be a great step in this direction. So were APD and Arcade (even though I had Arcade in my personal bottom 5 in 2019). So would've been for example Lie to Me or Soldi. On the other hand I Don't Feel Hate (as much as I personally like it), Russian Woman or Toy... Nope. Sorry, but nope.

I hear you, but I still think there's nothing wrong with a fun party track either, I mean I'm a club kid and they play "Toy" and "Fuego" in clubs, so we shouldn't underestimate such music either.

But that's kinda my point, there is zero strategy from EBU how to keep the momentum, and again as competent as "Voila" might be, it's not the type of song that radios or DJ's would pick up, and that was also part of the point I was trying to make.

I dunno what can be done, but it would be nice if Eurovision could be a force to be reckon with, the audience is clearly there, but the momentum needs to be kept.

HayashiM

Veteran
I hear you, but I still think there's nothing wrong with a fun party track either, I mean I'm a club kid and they play "Toy" and "Fuego" in clubs, so we shouldn't underestimate such music either.

But that's kinda my point, there is zero strategy from EBU how to keep the momentum, and again as competent as "Voila" might be, it's not the type of song that radios or DJ's would pick up, and that was also part of the point I was trying to make.

I dunno what can be done, but it would be nice if Eurovision could be a force to be reckon with, the audience is clearly there, but the momentum needs to be kept.

The line between "fun party" and "joke and/or political" can be surprisingly thin though... But I'll leave it at that.

At least we can agree EBU could really improve on its strategy ;)

VikingTiger

I think the competition actually does keep the momentum, even though few winners become real international hits. But like you I love it when I hear Eurovision music on other platforms; radio, cover-versions, etc. And it would be great to see and hear more of that. But I am not willing to make changes to the ESC format to achieve that.

It's true that this is supposed to be a song competition. Originally it was. But we all know that the winner not only depends on the song, but it depends hugely on the "wow-factor" it is able to create on stage on the night of the final.
Another thing; how well a given entry does will depend on the other entries that same year. In a year of ballads a real banger has the chance to shine, while (for example in a year like this) votes may be split between the bangers.
The winning artist normally also have to have (fairly) good vocals these days.

I think these are some reasons that it's not necessarily the most radio-friendly entry that wins. Or the one with the most potential of becoming an international hit.
I can take a look at myself. I have had favourites that have fallen flat on the night of the final - and even kept me from voting.
Amar Pelos Dois was highly relevant - simply because on the night of the final Sobral managed to get the most people to vote for him and his song.
If Barbara walks away with the trophy this year I find that highly relevant - for the same reason.

Top Bottom