24 11.1%

19 8.8%

14 6.5%

39 18.1%

• Total voters

BorisBubbles

Veteran
*sigh*

The old misconception that Eurovision is merely a "song contest", when it's so much more than that.

Eurovision is a performance contest. It's not like song is unimportant, but performance trumps song always. A L W A Y S. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! A good performance can elevate ANY mediocre song and a bad performance can destroy any great one. There are infinite examples from past contests, if you don't understand this now, after years of analyzing ESC on the internet and elsewhere, then it's better to keep quiet and stop your ignorance from infecting whoever reads this board in search for answers. xsnooty

Composition, act, melody, staging, camerawork, marketing, originality, charisma, vocals, message are all contributing factors indivdually, but it is during the live performance when they all come together. It's that package people vote for, and Roi's package is excellent.

Now, it doesn't mean you have to like "Roi" just because its live performance is good. We all have different taste and standards, and this year offers many options. I personally like the French staging, but I don't love it. It gets its message across very effectively, but in a somewhat aggressive manner and I don't like being frogmarched into a position where I ~MUST~ like something for one reason or another. I like the acts I like because I want to like them, not because I'm expected to like them because they are parroted as "quality" by the sheeple or presented into some socially desirable framework. Don't presume you can take the agency of thinking and decision-making away from us. Do not presume our affection is for sale to the highest bidder. Screw you. xsnooty

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
This is terrible for a winner. It not only doesn't do a single thing to me, I also think he's completely charmless on stage , sorry :fr::? I have never thought this could be labelled as a potential song to win the whole thing! xshock :shock:

Thinking that the last song I loved from :fr: was 2001 makes me think... :lol:

hijirio

Veteran
I hope tomorrow after the SF we will get 3 minute versions of the BIG 5 rehearsals like last year. I got so emotional watching the 30 seconds clip, I wanna see more! I usually didn't care about those vids but some of the big 5 are really strong this year.

*sigh*

The old misconception that Eurovision is merely a "song contest", when it's so much more than that.

Eurovision is a performance contest. It's not like song is unimportant, but performance trumps song always. A L W A Y S. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! A good performance can elevate ANY mediocre song and a bad performance can destroy any great one. There are infinite examples from past contests, if you don't understand this now, after years of analyzing ESC on the internet and elsewhere, then it's better to keep quiet and stop your ignorance from infecting whoever reads this board in search for answers. xsnooty

Composition, act, melody, staging, camerawork, marketing, originality, charisma, vocals, message are all contributing factors indivdually, but it is during the live performance when they all come together. It's that package people vote for, and Roi's package is excellent.

Now, it doesn't mean you have to like "Roi" just because its live performance is good. We all have different taste and standards, and this year offers many options. I personally like the French staging, but I don't love it. It gets its message across very effectively, but in a somewhat aggressive manner and I don't like being frogmarched into a position where I ~MUST~ like something for one reason or another. I like the acts I like because I want to like them, not because I'm expected to like them because they are parroted as "quality" by the sheeple or presented into some socially desirable framework. Don't presume you can take the agency of thinking and decision-making away from us. Do not presume our affection is for sale to the highest bidder. Screw you. xsnooty

Can you name me some examples when a potential winning song got ruined by the staging (and not the singing) in the past years?
Anything but Italy 2017 please, because although being a great song in studio version I also think it was not as strong as the fandom made it look like :)

Antho

Can you name me some examples when a potential winning song got ruined by the staging (and not the singing) in the past years?
Anything but Italy 2017 please, because although being a great song in studio version I also think it was not as strong as the fandom made it look like :)
France 2016, France 2018, Belgium 2017, Russia 2015, ..

BorisBubbles

Veteran
City lights wasn't ruined by the staging (a of all, I thought the staging was really good and b of all, it was never winning anyway). Everyone had Italy or Portugal as winners.

I'm not refering to winners though. Most preshow winner contenders have the sense of maximizing their staging potential, though I think Duncan Lawrence is heading down the Gabbani trajectory of not winning despite being a favourite, not because he disappoints but because the fan community sucks at reading what the casuals like. The most glaring examples of "Good Songs, Horrible Staging" simply stay in the semifinal. Israel 2014, Estonia 2016 and Belgium 2018 are very clear examples of excellent, potentially WINNING songs that were ruined by an utter lack of vision by the suprevising delegation and stage directors.

Having said that, the Eleni Foureira "supposedly mediocre song nobody in the fan community cares about that suddenly delivers really good rehearsals and shoots up as a favourite last second when people realize it actually has merit" type of entry usually finished second place, not first. Literally every runner-up from 2013 to the present day fits that description, but only one of the winners does (Rise like a phoenix). I don't think that means Bilal will be this year's second place (though I want him to be, because, you know, bragging rights); I think Lundvik fits the same paradigm and moreso than Bilal and he's my current choice for Runner Up. But looking at the past, I'd say the critical acclaim Bilal has received bodes well for France's chances and should result in one of their best results since the start of their Renaissance, if not the best.

Citelis

I have no problem if France wins. The song is not that good but the staging is great and right now there worse contenders for the win.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Y'all are acting like :fr: is going to win and seeming sooo desperate... :lol:

He won't win. Italy or Sweden will.

Besides, the only desperate people I see in this thread are the butthurt Seemone fans who want to make the flawed narrative of "France made such a BAD decision by NOT picking Tous Les Deux" happen and well, it was never going to happen, sorry! Seemone would finish 18th at best. AT BEST. Especially with the myriad of other "emotional" (but actually mediocre) female-fronted powerballads that are likely going to qualify from the semifinals. Picking Bilal was the smart decision all along and France will be reaping its fruit on Saturday.

John1

He won't win. Italy or Sweden will.

Besides, the only desperate people I see in this thread are the butthurt Seemone fans who want to make the flawed narrative of "France made such a BAD decision by NOT picking Tous Les Deux" happen and well, it was never going to happen, sorry! Seemone would finish 18th at best. AT BEST. Especially with the myriad of other "emotional" (but actually mediocre) female-fronted powerballads that are likely going to qualify from the semifinals. Picking Bilal was the smart decision all along and France will be reaping its fruit on Saturday.

Yes. He definitely won't, neither will :nl:.

To be honest, :fr: can end up as high as in 2016, but... well, there might be some surprises?

BorisBubbles

Veteran
My expectation for Bilal is somewhere between Amir and Alma in terms of finish. So around 8th, 9th, 10th. Higher would be great but without having seen the whole thing this would be wishful thinking.

popavapeur

The best thing about Bilal winning is France hosting next year, that's it lmao.

We can all agree the song isn't that great, but having a big 5 country host is interesting, we all expect a good stage, good accommodations and so on. (But people are gonna be disappointed about Paris lmao, it's absolutely not the great-looking city cute romantic everybody expect). I don't know what i'm talking about it, it's not winning.

tuorem

Thinking that the last song I loved from :fr: was 2001 makes me think... :lol:

Let me give you a big hug xrunhug You know what's good!

Now that one was winning material. It's definitely among my all-time favourite Eurovision songs and up there with the best acts we French have ever sent. :)

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
Let me give you a big hug xrunhug You know what's good!

Now that one was winning material. It's definitely among my all-time favourite Eurovision songs and up there with the best acts we French have ever sent. :)

xup It was my number 1 that year and it should have won! :( It's still a memorable song! xlove It's also one of my all time faves! xrunhug back, :D
I forgot 2002 and 2018, though, good songs as well. :D

Citelis

(But people are gonna be disappointed about Paris lmao, it's absolutely not the great-looking city cute romantic everybody expect).

France has slowly became one of the most dangerous countries in EU. Are they able to stop terror attack if they have to host?

HayashiM

Veteran
The best thing about Bilal winning is France hosting next year, that's it lmao.

We can all agree the song isn't that great, but having a big 5 country host is interesting, we all expect a good stage, good accommodations and so on. (But people are gonna be disappointed about Paris lmao, it's absolutely not the great-looking city cute romantic everybody expect). I don't know what i'm talking about it, it's not winning.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be Paris I guess :) But I agree, I'd love France to be the host!

BSF - Butthurt Seemone Fan

Antho

In the end, I don't think there's two or three contenders for the win every year. There's a lot more actually.. it all depends on the staging. An impactful, mesmerizing, original staging could take a lot of songs to the victory.

crashworld

Veteran
My expectation for Bilal is somewhere between Amir and Alma in terms of finish. So around 8th, 9th, 10th. Higher would be great but without having seen the whole thing this would be wishful thinking.

Yes, that's what I thought so. I think the lower top 10 and not beating Amir's result seems realistic for a song that is sort of "hated" universally by the Eurovision fans.

Top Bottom