Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Etanna

Yeah, especially if they plan to return “stronger” than ever. I wonder if they’ll be able to do more to make more countries included. Andorra, Slovakia, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan perhaps?

don't get your hopes up, I'm pretty sure it was just a thing they said to appease the fans. Unless it's something the new executive supervisor really wants to do which isn't very likely. tbh I'm afraid that with the economic after-affects of the coronavirus they'll be relieved if nobody withdraws

ESC94

If they make Rotterdam 2021 happen as well as forcing everyone to have the same entrants/songs, the song contest would be labelled as "postponed" but they "cancelled" it.
Personally, I think they should cancel everything or try a way to make Eurovision 2020 happen. I don't want to see two different editions being merged into one in May 2021.

I strongly agree with you, especially with the parts I highlighted. Either all songs of 2020 appear next year or no one. The other scenario you describe would be terrible. In German there is a saying:

"Das ist weder Fisch noch Fleisch" (That´s neither fish nor meat).

That means that an ESC 2021 with new and old songs would be a very mediocre compromise in my opinion. :(

tuorem

Also, I don't get it why the EBU cancels the CD.. I mean, the songs are already available! At least give us hardcore fans something offical we can be listening to whilst waiting 14 months for the next Eurovision.

Where did you see that? :( There still seemed to be a pre-order option on their website.

I wanted to buy the CD, like I always do.

Mainshow

Veteran
Where did you see that? :( There still seemed to be a pre-order option on their website.

I wanted to buy the CD, like I always do.

The CD doesn't appear on the official web page anymore. They deleted it. If you click on "Shop" and "Music", you will get to the 2019 edition and if you click on "Merchandise", you won't find the 2020 CD either.

Loindici

Veteran
The first cancellation of Eurovision Song Contest: a mess.

alca

What I don't understand is why they cancelled it and not postponed it. They didn't need to give us a date. Postpone it, see how the virus thing goes and if it started to calm down, they could announce that the contest will happen in August for example.

Kitakaze

don't get your hopes up, I'm pretty sure it was just a thing they said to appease the fans. Unless it's something the new executive supervisor really wants to do which isn't very likely. tbh I'm afraid that with the economic after-affects of the coronavirus they'll be relieved if nobody withdraws

Could be, but if some countries do withdraw then I’ll bet they’ll certainly do what they can at least to get the figure back up. Obviously returning countries like Hungary and Montenegro are much more likely than say, Slovakia or Luxembourg where there’s little interest. As you say though, it’s hard to imagine a superior show in the aftermath next year than the one we would’ve gotten.

Loindici

Veteran
The contest cancellation might help to indirectly handle the internal problems of the contest, probably the 'industry' part where delegations would just buy songs from somebody else or Symphonix or come to Sacha Jean-Baptiste for advanced staging nitbits and call it a day.

It's as if 2020 is telling them "don't pick an easy road, do it yourself" in that Troom-Troom narrator voice.

I mean nobody would believe this, but it's fun to be written.

Romeo

Okay... Let me just put something out there...

2018 China refuse to show Ireland's performance because two men are dancing together and Albania because they have tattoos. China are banned from showing ESC... 2 years later a Chinese virus forces ESC to be cancelled! I'd say it's a plan to ruin the contest! Call me crazy...?

If anyone thinks I am serious then I am sorry. It was meant as a joke

Decayingbooks

There's a possibily that due to the post-coravirus rececion some broadcasters will not have the budget to spend on lavish stagings or even participate and we could see countries withdrawing due to that.
The most biggest uncertainty is if Bulgria will be back next yewar as this year's participation was totally paid by a sponsor, iCard, and the sponsorship will be over after march 28.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Well if Romania and Bulgaria will withdraw if they cannot participate with their 2020 songs I'm sure the EBU will accept that lol, they want as much as possible participants I guess

Well this is something we should probably expect if they don't allow the same songs. I think if the singer wants a new song it should be allowed, but the original entry should also be allowed this once should they want to keep it. For smaller broadcasters or those on strict budgets relying on investors it might their only way. If we end up with countries boycotting because of it, 2021 wont be a pleasant year either.

Zonne147

If EBU is not able to open an exception to those who want to compete with the same songs I hope the respective broadcaster withdraws and I will be totally supporting that decision... In fact, ESC cancellation was a needed exception. Hope they are also open to other exceptions in the next days...

About the artists it's up to each broadcaster, I hope they are also open to make exceptions regarding their selection process, in an act of respect for the people who have contributed and worked hard to make things to go as good as possible. And especially for the artists of course, we all know this would be the biggest professional achievement for some of them, most of them would never be able to present their work for millions of people again

Shame on Sweden and on Estonia already I know how important MF is for Sweden but I also know The Mamas were excited to go to ESC 2020. Same about Uku Suviste - trying hard several times in the past and now this happens... Oh, great, now he gets a wildcard to Eesti Laul 2021 in a way of... consolation?

I know many more disappointments are coming... But I have faith there are broadcasters that will share my opinion... I may look too upset but the thing I'm most concerned about are the artists as I told you before. Some had bad songs, some had good ones, some were candidate to the top, some of them we knew they would finish at the bottom. But I'm sure they all had a common goal - representing their countries and step on the big Eurovision stage... And a f*cking virus just took them that right this year... And no matter if you like the song or not, it's undeniable they all deserve another opportunity :(

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Shame on Sweden and on Estonia already I know how important MF is for Sweden but I also know The Mamas were excited to go to ESC 2020. Same about Uku Suviste - trying hard several times in the past and now this happens... Oh, great, now he gets a wildcard to Eesti Laul 2021 in a way of... consolation?

This reminds me of robbed Ukrainian legend Vasyl Lazarovivh. Cruelly stripped of the dreams he'd been promised, but offered the chance to take part in a last minute national selection, as if that made it all better. Justice for Vasyl and justice for our 41 stars of Eurovision 2020.

vasyl-lazarovych-e6eaeb3f-0b62-4476-b2a3-ef29061dfbb-resize-750.jpeg

🕯️

DenizESC

Banned
While I see y'alls points over here...

I have to say though; a song released in early 2020, performed in ESC 2021 in may would be a HUGE disadvantage in the scoreboards I can imagine. And mixed with new/more 2020 songs would be one heck of a weird and messy contest XD

I would definitely keep all artists, but I also think this is the time to get creative.

Zonne147

I agree with you @DenizESC, anyway I think EBU should consider to open an exception and accept if any broadcaster decides to keep its song - Giving every broadcaster three options: 1- same artist/song / 2- just same artist / 3- different act

I know the thing you have stated would be a huge disadvantage but anyway it would be up to each broadcaster to think about it and probably they would end giving a step back on the decision of keeping the 2020 song

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
While I see y'alls points over here...

I have to say though; a song released in early 2020, performed in ESC 2021 in may would be a HUGE disadvantage in the scoreboards I can imagine. And mixed with new/more 2020 songs would be one heck of a weird and messy contest XD

I would definitely keep all artists, but I also think this is the time to get creative.

It would only be messy to us Eurovision fans. The casual audience making up the 99% majority on the night of the contest will be none the wiser with regards to what's old and what's new. This really should be about the artists and what they feel would be right for them. They've poured their hearts into this, spending months of their time on their projects, racking up recording studio bills, shooting music videos etc. More than anyone else, this should be about them and what they want to do. Some might feel inspired to make something new. Others meanwhile might feel like they already are in possession of the song they want to share with Europe.

I'm hopeful at least right now that the majority of 2020 artists will return for 2021. It's the decent, human thing to do, and I think we've got hearts still. The outpour of love from fans should show broadcasters all they need to see.

Top Bottom