Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Loindici

Veteran
I really hope most broadcasters are sticking to their 2020 artists. Cancellation wasn't made by anybody but a pandemic -- in a lack of better words, these artists are innocent.

LastDreamer

Banned
I'm hopeful at least right now that the majority of 2020 artists will return for 2021.
Possibly it's the first time, when I strongly disagree with you.

Mainshow

Veteran
I don't understand why Romania should withdraw if they are told to get a new entry 2021. We are talking about the same country who didn't give a damn about Ovidiu('s entry) back in 2016.

I know where you are all coming from and it would be very hurtful to Lithuania, Bułgara, Switzerland, Iceland... which had potential winning entries ready but Eurovision got cancelled... Not postponed. Thus, give us new songs!

Also, it might be true that 99,9% of the viewers don't give a damn about the release date of the entries next year but we shouldn't forget that people know their own entries (especially the Nordics, Italians and Russia (more than 32 million views within 5 days)).

randajad

Veteran
I am all for new entries, but if they allow songs to stay it should be a rule for everyone. So all songs change or all songs stay no exceptions.

On the other hand if a song cannot survive a year, is it then really good at all?

Preuss

Sad news, but health first, that’s understandable. For selfish reason I’d love to see two Eurovisions, but makes sense that it’s hard to postpone it this year

and the performances we’re missing out on... if this happened last year then we’d never see the brilliant Kate in action...

this sucks, 14 months till next time then

mauve

Veteran
It would only be messy to us Eurovision fans. The casual audience making up the 99% majority on the night of the contest will be none the wiser with regards to what's old and what's new. This really should be about the artists and what they feel would be right for them. They've poured their hearts into this, spending months of their time on their projects, racking up recording studio bills, shooting music videos etc. More than anyone else, this should be about them and what they want to do. Some might feel inspired to make something new. Others meanwhile might feel like they already are in possession of the song they want to share with Europe.

I'm hopeful at least right now that the majority of 2020 artists will return for 2021. It's the decent, human thing to do, and I think we've got hearts still. The outpour of love from fans should show broadcasters all they need to see.
I am absolutely with you. I want all the artists to return. I would love to let them choose if they want to keep their 2020-song or have a new one. If the countries are fair, even Sweden ect. should keep their artists. It really wouldn't be fair to not let them perform when they have put their love and strength into this project, no matter if I love an artist or not.

Loindici

Veteran

Ezio

Veteran
Due to popular demand I returned from Uranus yet again with more prospects. xheat

On March 22, 2020, a significant transition will take place: Saturn enters Aquarius, the rebellious sign that represents future, innovation and science. It's a social and humanistic sign unlike Capricorn which is authoritarian and makes things look more negative than they are. Saturn is always about doable and practible things. So maybe that allows for alternative ideas, new thinking and optimistic approaches that take into account would the majority wants. Maybe ESC 2020 cancellation will be reconsidered and we will see at least a Mini Eurovision in a smaller setting for those countries that want it. #hopeneverdies

musicfan

On the other hand if a song cannot survive a year, is it then really good at all?

Well the argument we've seen here is that something being a Eurovision song is more important than whether it's a good song. No way those kind of songs last.

M87dk

Would it make sense for the EBU to make a live streaming event on Twitch? I noticed that in recent years, some broadcasters such as the BBC has used Twtich to host daily streams of various old television programs, where fans can react, comment and interact with each other on a chat while watching the stream together.

With most of the old Eurovision contests being available, wouldn't it be a fun way to bring the fans together? They could do live streams of old concerts throughout the entire month of May, and the fans could come together and enjoy some of their favourite moments in Eurovision, as well as laugh together at some of the more... bizarre moments.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
DADDY YIFIANI WILL STILL SING FOR ALL THE GEORGIAN MEN!!!

I LIVEEEE

https://eurovoix.com/2020/03/19/georgia-tornike-kipiani-eurovision-2021/
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! xbowxbowxbow Thia makes me more glad than anything else!!!!! xheatxcheerxdance2xheartxheartxheart

@RainyWoods and @Mrm
Are you also happy to read this?

happy-tears-gif-22.gif

Now I need justice for my other faves (and everyone else too of course x) but getting my number 1 back is a big start. This is a big light shining through the darkness for me. Tornike is going to rock my world again in 2021 xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Possibly it's the first time, when I strongly disagree with you.

For me it's a morals thing. Outside of my top 10, I don't particularly care much at all for this year but imagine how each singer must feel right now in this very extreme situation, having their dreams cruelly snatched away from them. Imagine if it was your YVA girls who worked hard to get to Eurovision and then weren't offered the chance to go again the next year after all their sacrifices to be there, preparations, money spent etc. It would have all been for nothing. Even if I had just one song I liked this year I'd still feel the same way because the situation isn't fair. It's surely heartbreaking for each entrant actually. I feel this is less about us and more about these artists and their teams.

crashworld

Veteran
This is really an unfortunate decision and definitely one of the saddest days in ESC history considering ESC is seen as a beam of happiness in ESC fans. But in the grander scale of things, Eurovision is not the most important stuff (though some may argue), and I think at this point in time where things are really uncertain, the cancellation decision is inevitable considering all the logistics nightmare/huge costs that will involve if they postpone the contest for an indefinite period. There are too many things at stake and uncertainty, so I guess this is the "best" decision considering all factors.

However as many of you point out, I do feel an outright cancellation at this point is not ideal since the purpose of ESC is to unite people through music during difficult times. For me, I still think an alternative edition of the contest should still be held, we or the artists may not get the full experience, but at least it is something for all us to look forward to in this gloomy times.

I have always thought that a pre-recorded 'live' performance kind of contest should still be held. Artists can perform their song in their home country's studio and submit the pre-recorded 'live' performance to EBU panel to vet through. I know different countries have different studio capabilities and standards and it is hard to ensure every participant is given the same quality of platform to perform. Therefore, it will be unfair and at a disadvantage for the countries with lesser capabilities. To me, at the first place, there is no such thing as fairness. EBU just need to set up a special criteria for the delegations on the pre-recorded 'live' performances. And there will also be a special one-off criteria catered to this special edition for the jury to judge. The winning country for this contest can host the semi-finals in 2021 while Rotterdam can still host the finals in 2021 (a joint-hosting between 2019 and 2020 winning countries). Oh well..

As to what will happen to the artists and songs for the 2021 edition. In my opinion, I still think EBU should recommend all delegations to invite back the same 41 artists (and allow them to use the same songs). People may say, it will be well over 18 months and the songs may have lost the flavour etc. But the thing is that we have never seen the songs performed in full glory on ESC stage. I think that alone is the game-changer since 2020's entries are diverse and there is no clear winner. If the artist themselves decided they do not want to partake in the contest or want to change a new song, that should be allowed too as long as there is enough time for the delegation to find a new replacement (whether it's a new artist or a new song).

And also, the question about the NF (especially those that are specifically set up to find the representative of ESC), as much as I think it's unfair for 2020 winner of the NF to get replaced, but the prerogative should still be very much left to each broadcaster to decide. My only solution is that they change the format where the 2021 winner of the NF will be the representative of the 2022 ESC and going forward. But that will then cause another problem of the winning song being announced way earlier for the contest.

If not, the ultimate solution is to have 2 editions in 2021 (that of course is if the situation has resumed to normal).
One in the beginning of the year (to allow the 2020 contestants to compete) and another towards the end of the year. It will be chaotic definitely, but it will be ESC heaven for all ESC fans. But the winning country of both editions will then have a shorter time to prepare for the end year 2021 and 2022 editions.

I think I am rambling on. All in all, I just hope the 2020 artists will come to terms with the news and hopefully most of them will be back (regardless with the current songs or new songs). All of them deserve the chance to come back regardless whether they or their songs are well-liked by the fandom.

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not sure I agree with the decision to cancel it fully, I would have preferred to postpone it until the end of summer or even autumn, although with all uncertainty going on, I still have respect for the option. Having the contest without an audience wouldn't be possible either with restrictions, and this whole idea of competing with videos or local studios would simply be unfair.

Not sure what the best solution is here, if they keep the same entries in total (artists + songs) then EBU must force all countries to do the same, anything else would be unfair. If not this then broadcasters I guess should be able to choose as they want. It's such an extraordinary and odd situation that I dunno what the best is.

Fluke

One thing i found tone-deaf and objectionable about the statement was the forced enthusiasm asking us to look forward for the 2021 contest instead, as if we didn't expect there to be one next year either! That's kind like hearing your grandmother died and the being told "but there's some lovely old ladies over there, you should meet them!"

Plus the affirmation that Rotterdam will be allowed to host the next contest.... as if that was a good thing! I bet a lot of Eurofans don't want to hear the word "Rotterdam" for a couple of years after this! :sick:

Either way, there seems to be a growing wave of officials calling for some kind of pre-recorded surrogate show, presumably complete with televoting, even if the winner won't be an official Eurovision winner:

LastDreamer

Banned
I need to find anybody, who share my opinion.

Top Bottom