Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
"No you are not allowed to use your entries next year but we are allowed to make money out of them now xo"

Shame shame shame
i love you

they should at least take the money and give it to the delegations who had to spend a lot this year for nothing

oh but wait they won't

Romeo

The EBU have made it clear they don't care about the singers / songwriters etc. They just want to make money. Taking a year out but still releasing the album is shocking! Acts should have the option to use the same song next year! The EBU should not disrespect the teams and assume that they will just say "okay you spent this time and money on songs but it is all in vain".

They say it would be wrong to allow broadcasters to record the performances on home soil because it would 'not be in the spirit of the contest'. But it was okay when they suggested it for Russia in 2017

njdevils94

Veteran
Ex-:cz: HOD Jan Bors has called out Borislav Milanov

Mainshow

Veteran
Ex-:cz: HOD Jan Bors has called out Borislav Milanov

He didn't call out Milanov but more songwriters being mad about the decision.
Jan Bors is right, though. People are dying. The songs get released and are shared on social media and uploaded on YouTube. Of course, it sucks that the artists cannot get the chance to perform and promote their work on a bigger stage but cancelling means cancelling and not postponement... It's the best "solution" out of many non-perfect ones to ask for new songs 2021 because some very influential broadcasters (Norway, Sweden, Denmark....) won't send their 2020 songs. 2021 will be a fresh start for everyone.

Also. I absolutely agree with Bors saying that broadcasters should try to attract local songwriters instead of getting the same songwriters for 5/6 countries per year....

That said, I can understand why composers, artists etc are disappointed but releasing the CD is not "milking them".. It's also trying to honour the songs + if you stream them/buy them, the artists and producers will also get paid/royalties... unlike stage designers, delegations etc. Their work is completely in vain whilst artists and producers have final works to promote and show the world,at least.

HayashiM

Veteran
As I wrote earlier, I think Jan Bors mixes up two completely unrelated things.

Yes, please do attract local songwriters, that's what Eurovision should be about in my eyes. Giving a chance to everyone to make themselves known internationally, to have fun, to bring new things. Jan tried to go this way and I am very happy about that, IMO it is paying off.

But that has very little to do about the decision to not let this year's songs compete in the next edition. Yes, the seasoned songwriters are also pissed about this, but they are just one of the parties who have been damaged, they are not the only ones. The question of 2020 vs 2021 songs is an entirely different problem and as I see it, the adopted solution is simply wrong. Why not let everyone choose? As great as Melfest is, do we have to bend Eurovision according to its rules and interests? I don't think so.

shameless

Anybody think if this whole mess dies down by the summer we could have a summer ESC?
No, this is really unrealistic. Even if the numbers will go down in european countries by that time, travelling and the aftermath will still be impacted for the rest of the year. I just hope that everything will be over soon and we will all be fine, yes I hope this so much.

HayashiM

Veteran
Anybody think if this whole mess dies down by the summer we could have a summer ESC?

Yeah, summer is not realistic from the perspective of organizing everything. I think there's about 80% chance everything could've been prepared for some time around JESC's usual date, e.g. October - November. But this is a corporate decision we're talking about, and those usually need 100% certainty or something very close to that. So EBU just said nah nah nah.

Uto

Veteran
Chances are pretty big that travel will be restricted up until the point we develop a good medicine or a vaccine. The death rate is nothing to scoff at and it's very unlikely we can get enough people 'safely' infected to develop a sufficient layer of herd immunity.

JESC is at risk. ESC 2021 is uncertain.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Jan Bors post about this drama was so full of hot air and self importance. Literally no one asked for his opinion, and hes not even a HoD anymore? probably said it to suck up to the reference group. :lol: Anyone who thinks it's totally ok to bin off this years songs without even a word to the teams, songwriters etc or even delegations it seems about it has deeply flawed priorities with all this and is clearly part of the problem. His entire posts talks about unrelated stuff and makes constant digs at songwriters music and songwriters who write for multiple countries, as if he is somehow above them. Yes I'd love it if countries at least tried to pick locally first instead of jumping straight to an import (and in their own language), but at the end of it what is important to me is the song. Then connecting it to Corona and people having more important things to do, well no shit Sherlock. No one disputes the contest being delayed or cancelled even, its the songs that is the issue here and quite frankly the reference group is literally here for this exact sort of stuff so it is very much important right now. I doubt the reference group or any HoD will be out working in hospitals, keeping food shops open, caring for the vulnerable right now etc and we're all keeping them from it. :lol: For many artists and songwriters a lot of time and money have gone into these projects, it's their livelihood and they don't just do it all on whim in their free time. There is no reason at all for the reference group to block delegations keeping their songs, I'm sure many would actually still choose to change it, but clearly there is also many that want to keep their songs and they should rightfully be given that opportunity to do so. It's morally the right thing to do.

DaFlo

Banned

> make a show to "honour" the songs
> don't even play all the songs in full

Is this a joke? They keep digging their hole deeper and deeper

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
They cancelled ESC to broadcast that kind of cringeworthy "Congratulations"-style thingy instead? Is it reality or just fanta sea?

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Ezio

Veteran
Boris Milanov has a lot to say. I get him!

I fear the EBU Reference Group is driving off many songwriters from Eurovision. They invest a lot, are not paid upfront. Some songs, like Tears Getting Sober, are not even released, only submitted to the EBU in time, after there was already speculation that ESC2020 is in peril.

If the deadline was later, some songs would still live for 2021.

Isn't that outrageous?

Top Bottom