Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Uto

Veteran
Why do I feel the winner of this edition will be an unexpected country xqueenbitch
Well, there hasn't been anything in the same range as Arcade or Soldi. We have a couple of songs in the tier just below though.

crashworld

Veteran
Well look at it like this: There's 11 songs, 1 does something for you now and let's say 2 of them are growers that manage to stick at some point. That's still a 27% success rate. If the rest of the songs is normal and you normally like half the songs, it will still go up to something like 45%. There's also the point that for most songs you are now missing the audiovisual spectacle of seeing it performed with full blown staging. Most songs become significantly more impressive given the quality of the staging most countries have.

Agreed with you. Usually I will give my comments based on studio recordings (ie. initial impressions) and then another set of comments after once the stagings are more or less finalized. Of course, it should be understood that comments made now are as of now. It's always subjected to change. But as of now, the 11 songs haven't impressed me yet and give me the impression that we are heading for a weak edition.

Mainshow

Veteran
Usually, I am the eye-rolling person when people say it's going to be the worst edition ever because I hear that every year. Especially back in 2018, this was such a reach because personally, I think it was the best year ever (songs-wise).

However, before the entries from Lithuania and Belgium, I thought the same - I was worried about getting another 2002 fiasco but it seems that the convincing entries started to keep coming in + I have faith in Ukraine and Polen later this week.

Also, we shouldn't forget that Armenia, Albania, the Czech Republic will get a revamp.. That's why I guess the first Eurovision phase this year was some sort of "demo-ish" kind of stage and we still have 30 entries to go (75%).. You all (me included) will surely find more favourite entries soon.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I found a lot of songs I liked in the NF's line-ups, so it's already better year than 2019. The selected entries so far have been mixed, with some I like a lot and the rest in the middle of the road, so I'm not worried. If by the end I love my top 8 (and not just like them) then it would be an extremely good year. For comparison, in 2019 I loved 5 and liked a dozen other.

anto475

People need to calm down. On average since 2000, the winning song was released 77 days before the contest. We're 88 days away. Statistically we should know the winner by the end of the month, unless we have a late reveal like 2014.

Uto

Veteran
People need to calm down. On average since 2000, the winning song was released 77 days before the contest. We're 88 days away. Statistically we should know the winner by the end of the month, unless we have a late reveal like 2014.
If the winning song has yet to be revealed, shouldn't we get hyped up?

jatojo

I think the level is high this year. A good mix of songs based on strong choruses and songs based on a particular rhythm and "vibe". In fact, I'm sort of hoping for some bad songs so I won't feel sorry for too many artists in the semifinals. ;)

It just got announced that the Greek entry "SUPERG!RL" will be released on 1st March and one of its composers said it has the means to win Eurovision. xheart
This is what the French delegation thought about their entry too, but the song isn't that great...
We will see what Greece has in the pipeline this time.

Loindici

Veteran
Performer-wise, I feel it's a bit of image improvement compared to last year.
Belgium and Czech Republic will send their biggest exports.
Austria will send one of their biggest musical stars.
Lithuania will send a famous band they're totally in love with.
Spain, Australia, and Romania will send a pick of their biggest uprising stars.
Albania and Norway will send their talent show alum with a respectable degree of musical career.
Malta, Israel and Georgia will send their newly selected casting star.
Armenia and Greece will send a talented member of their diaspora.
Latvia will send a slaying Queen who has served six times in the battlefield.
The rest, maybe you guys can continue the comment?

(some totally absolutely unimportant plus: Some black excellence with Benny, Destiny, Eden and Jeangu, some yellow excellence with Vincent and Montaigne, and a tinge of Latin excellence with Montaigne.)

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
Performer-wise, I feel it's a bit of image improvement compared to last year.
Belgium and Czech Republic will send their biggest exports.
Austria will send of of their biggest musical stars.
Lithuania will send a famous band they're in love with.
Spain, Australia, and Romania will send a pick of their biggest uprising stars.
Albania and Norway will send their talent show alum with a
Malta, Israel and Georgia will send their newly selected casting star.
Armenia and Greece will send a talented member of their diaspora.
Latvia will send a slaying Queen.
The rest, maybe you guys can continue the comment?
The Netherlands is sending some anonymous singer, just like last year.

Realest

The last time we had an entry <<that could win>>, we finished 14th in the seminfinal! :lol:

2018 was probably the Year wih the biggest Random Fanhypes (:gr::be::mk::fi::fr: and after the Semifinals :hu::lt::ie:) in the History :lol:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

now that they confirmed GORE AND HORROR SHITS as one of the songs of the medley my rants about how arcade winning was a tragedy to this world will intensify

sorry rybak but i don't think not even you are able to make me handle my least favorite song of the contest

Top Bottom