Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Realest

We still havent heard the Eurovision Winner in the NFs?

Realest

I think :ru::az::bg: are the Favourites atm.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
so far the biggest nf potential i see is in :fi: cicciolina (no bias intended)

i don't know if it's gonna be enough to win because of juries

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I'm curious to see who will send in native language this time.
For now we have Spain, Italy (I suppose they won't translate into English)
We have all songs in Serbian in NF, but some of them stated they would translate if win..
Portugal has Blasted - "Rebellion" in English, all other in Portuguese, i suppose they wouldn't translate..
Albania will translate, they already stated..
I suppose France will be in English too..
At this point, I don't see anybody sending in native language except Portugal..Yeah maybe "Cicciolina" LOOL :lol:
And let it be Maja & De Sarte Sjæle - "Den eneste goth i Vejle" Nanne Gronvall - "Carpool karaoke"! xheart :D

Maybe Ukraine too?
Russia, Azerbaijan, San Marino? NO WAY! :p :D

:fr: will have parts in both languages.
:is: has a great chance of keeping their language (DIMMA submitted their song in Icelandic only, Iva stated she wouldn't change it, which only leaves Dadi Freyr in the favorites who has both version...)
I would like to see Go_A winning, so let's hope for :ua:

Loindici

Veteran

Mrm

Veteran
:fr: will have parts in both languages.
:is: has a great chance of keeping their language (DIMMA submitted their song in Icelandic only, Iva stated she wouldn't change it, which only leaves Dadi Freyr in the favorites who has both version...)
I would like to see Go_A winning, so let's hope for :ua:
And That's it lol
Plus they wont win in Ukraine.. :(

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I think :bg: will win. I've had the feeling they would since they announced their participation.

We'll see. I also vibe that :lt: might do ridiculously well and there's currently no competition to contest them.

Mimmon

Veteran
I think :bg: will win. I've had the feeling they would since they announced their participation.

We'll see. I also vibe that :lt: might do ridiculously well and there's currently no competition to contest them.
As track record Bulgaria have potential to win but I need to hear the song.Speaking for Lithuania I would love to see Lithuania to win soon. I been wating them to win since 2016... They do really deserve it.

Mainshow

Veteran
This Eurovision kicked off really well: Many interesting artists got announced and I thought that Rotterdam will be a very competitive year. However, now I'm just furious about how broadcasters seem to select their entries and as an avid fan of Eurovsion and a democratic individual I feel so effing offended!

:de: After making vanilla entries win our national finals from 2017 to 2019 by changing the concepts constantly, purchasing dated leftovers from Switzerland and other countries as well as placing a horrible entry as a wildcard, the German broadcaster basically blamed the televoters for having a bad taste in music and ditched the whole national final. Instead, they come up with a "Eurovision-related" artist and guess what.. still bought a song from another country. An internal selection is fine but it either has to be a well-established act or someone with enough artistry like Duncan to make that decision valid, imo.

:fr: presents us an outrageously dated and old-fashioned entry which is lacking artistry, originality, authenticity and identity. Instead of asking any talent composers located in the 5th largest music market on Earth they asked former Eurovision composers who were responsible of flopping hard in Lithuania's preselection and making the UK dead last last year.

:no: The televoting winner of Eurovision 2019 ditched the televoting for its own national final and let an unprofessional jury decide on the entries based on their studio versions because "emojis" killed their server. Seriously, it's 2020. This is one of the most rigged things I have ever heard of. The lack of transparency. Not even the people involved knew that there is such a thing like a back-up jury. If you can't make sure that an Internet vote does work, don't ditch the televoting! Ridiculous. This is giving me "Belarus" rigged kind of vibes.

:al: Instead of submitting an energetic and contemporary song, the Albanian juries sabotaged themselves. Also, I think it's unfair to the viewers to win a national final and change the language + core essence of the song (Arilena already confirmed that they changed "Shaj" into an English pop ballad with a "current" sound).

:pl: gave Alicja the only great song in heat 2 whilst mid-way changing the entire rules to make Albert qualify. Rigged as hell.

The Czech national final might have been amateurish but seriously, it was one of the most honest and fairest things we have faced so far.

Last edited:

Fierro

I noticed that when I try to recall a song sent by a country in 2019, i cannot remember half of them and instead 2018 ones pop up in my mind. hopefully 2020 will be more memorable

Uto

Veteran
I noticed that when I try to recall a song sent by a country in 2019, i cannot remember half of them and instead 2018 ones pop up in my mind. hopefully 2020 will be more memorable
I kind of have that with the last three editions of Eurovision. As if the world stopped after 2016. I know the Dutch entries, but all the rest is pretty hazy.

crashworld

Veteran
Is this year going to be one of the worst ever editions for ESC? The 11 songs that have been released so far, none of them has met my expectations.

If I am going to group these 11 songs into bands - "Excellent", "Good", "Decent", "Mediocre" and "Bad', none will make it to the "Excellent" band.

"Excellent" - None
"Good" - Lithuania
"Decent" - Norway, Spain, Australia, Belgium, Albania
"Mediocre" - Italy, France, Czech Republic
"Bad" - Latvia, Armenia

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
Is this year going to be one of the worst ever editions for ESC? The 10 songs that have been released so far, none of them has met my expectations.

If I am going to group the se10 songs into bands - "Excellent", "Good", "Decent", "Mediocre" and "Bad', none will make it to the "Excellent" band.

"Excellent" - None
"Good" - Lithuania
"Decent" - Norway, Spain, Australia, Belgium
"Mediocre" - Italy, France, Czech Republic
"Bad" - Latvia, Armenia
Usually this is your memory playing a trick on you. Things in earlier years were not much better at all, but you tend to remember only the good and the really bad. Might also be that you're just clinging to genres and there are not a lot of songs in certain genres you like.

crashworld

Veteran
Usually this is your memory playing a trick on you. Things in earlier years were not much better at all, but you tend to remember only the good and the really bad. Might also be that you're just clinging to genres and there are not a lot of songs in certain genres you like.

Perhaps. But it's very rare that I have yet to really like a song even 11 songs have been released. Last year, at least I had "Wake Up" to tide me through till the rest caught up. I wish someone kept track like the order of songs announce each year so I can have a reference how early/late into the entrants announcement schedule that we have some sort of an idea how strong the competition was like.

Uto

Veteran
Perhaps. But it's very rare that I have yet to really like a song even 11 songs have been released. Last year, at least I had "Wake Up" to tide me through till the rest caught up. I wish someone kept track like the order of songs announce each year so I can have a reference how early/late into the entrants announcement schedule that we have some sort of an idea how strong the competition was like.
Well look at it like this: There's 11 songs, 1 does something for you now and let's say 2 of them are growers that manage to stick at some point. That's still a 27% success rate. If the rest of the songs is normal and you normally like half the songs, it will still go up to something like 45%. There's also the point that for most songs you are now missing the audiovisual spectacle of seeing it performed with full blown staging. Most songs become significantly more impressive given the quality of the staging most countries have.

Loindici

Veteran
Why do I feel the winner of this edition will be an unexpected country xqueenbitch

Top Bottom