Contact us

Entering the new decade;

Mainshow

Veteran
Teaching people you can always be successful as long as you're rich...

Sry but that's a bit far-fetched.
Take a look at Spain, the UK, Germany's results and you can see that being "rich" didn't help these countries to score decent results this decade.

The Big 5 rule is unfair, I can totally understand this point of view and I agree with you, BUT it's necessary to keep the contest alive (the way it is) because:

a) These countries a huge contributers to fund the costs for the contest
b) These countries provides huge viewing figures (ESC is still a TV shows, ratings are important)
c) These coutnries are the biggest music markets in Europe (worldwide: #3 Germany, #4 Uk, #5 France, #12 Italy, #13 Spain); like 99% of the competing artists are sent/supported/funded through record companies and therefore, it's important for them to see people from these markets watching the contest and maybe get interested in spending a few coins on some artists. It's sad but Universal, Warner don't care about a single fan in Moldova or Georgia.
d) Like [MENTION=15221]Citelis[/MENTION] mentioned, the majority of votes come from these countries = $

FilipFromSweden

I say big 5 stays. I love that it's always 6 acts who get ''revealed'' or enter at the finale. It's a privilege to go through the semi-final anyways

musicfan

I'm probably not the first to say it but the new decade starts 2021. :p

Loindici

Veteran
Maybe it's time for Khabar Agency :kz: to get a full membership?

Realest

I wish :de: would pay only around 250k and went to the Semifinal.

EDC0708

How about 100% televoting, but the top three marks cannot go to any of the countries in that countries semi final draw pot. So for example this year, Croatia could not have given top marks to Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia or Slovenia. This would still mean Greece and Cyprus would give each other 7 every year, but it is a start!

Mainshow

Veteran
How about 100% televoting, but the top three marks cannot go to any of the countries in that countries semi final draw pot. So for example this year, Croatia could not have given top marks to Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia or Slovenia. This would still mean Greece and Cyprus would give each other 7 every year, but it is a start!

That's a horrible idea.
It's just natural that Sergey gets several Televoting points from neighbouring countries since he's successful in Ex-Soviet countries. Why shouldn't get a song from Slovenia 8 points from Croatia if it's well-received? - Especially Slovenia proved to submit fresh and progressive entries in recent years (2015, 2018, 2019) and deserves to get rewarded.
Belgium and the Netherlands are in the same pot as well. Didn't "Arcade" deserve to get 12 points from Belgium?

This idea would just spread the troublesome thought that Western European countries are better than Eastern European ones, e.g. Belgium giving 12 pts to the Netherlands, Spain giving 12 points to Portugal, Denmark giving 10 pts to Germany and 12 points to Sweden is not the problem but Belarus giving 12 to Russia and Croatia 12 to Slovenia and 10 to Serbia is...

Loindici

Veteran
I wish EBU could tight in the rules contextually: since this is eurovision song contest, songs competing should have been written or produced by at least one resident of a country, but this seems to have shifted towards something performer-focused.

Realest

When Belgium/Portugal/Denmark sometimes give 12 Points to Netherlands/Spain/Germany it is no Problem, but when Slovenia/Belarus nearly always give 12 Points to Serbia/Russia it is a huge Problem.

Citelis

When Greece gives 12 to Cyrpus (and the opposite) is the best moment of the whole contest!

Realest

The best Moment is when Greece and Cyprus gets booed for giving 12 Points to each other :twisted:

Alaska49

I wish EBU could tight in the rules contextually: since this is eurovision song contest, songs competing should have been written or produced by at least one resident of a country, but this seems to have shifted towards something performer-focused.
people have discussed the merits of having the language rule back again many times but i think a nationality rule for composers would be so much more effective than the language rule (if it was more strict than just one native composer per entry). no use of english can save you from not having stefan orn or kontopoulos or symphonix or is it clear already that i am shading azerbaijan or,

of course, this raises concerns about demolishing our already paltry parity between countries and how it would basically expel san marino from the contest, but eh. i am not a san marino truther anyway and ralph siegel should basically have sanmarinese citizenship at this point. they could make it work. it would also solve many of our jury voting problems since there wouldn't be as many connections to explore if every entry is internally composed.

maybe the rule should say that entries should have national composition but arrangement and additional production could be imported? kinda like midnight gold, that was composed by a georgian and then thomas g:son revamped it? hard to apply, but more strict than "just slap someone's name on the credits and have some swede do all the work".

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The language rule was an abomination. It hand-fed France and Luxembourg easy victories with mediocre songs in the First Era, and then did the same thing with Ireland and UK in the Second Era when English replaced French as the lingua franca. It is ALSO responsible for the consistent bullying of Finland, Portugal and Turkey in the contest. It's a completely unfair rule and should stay DEAD. FOREVER!!

Preuss

When Greece gives 12 to Cyrpus (and the opposite) is the best moment of the whole contest!

You know, to me it didn’t even look like Tamta and Katerine were happy about getting their 12s this year lol

Citelis

You know, to me it didn’t even look like Tamta and Katerine were happy about getting their 12s this year lol

They should be because those 12s saved both of them from an even bigger disaster on televoting. :p

Citelis

Actually its not the first time that Greece gets saved by Cyrpus 12p. In 1998 Cyrpus saved our underrated entry from coming dead last with 0 points. So i actually do enjoy giving to each other 12 and people can complain as much as they want. :p

HayashiM

Veteran
Actually its not the first time that Greece gets saved by Cyrpus 12p. In 1998 Cyrpus saved our underrated entry from coming dead last with 0 points. So i actually do enjoy giving to each other 12 and people can complain as much as they want. :p

As I have already written elsewhere, I very much dislike such approach. If something is bad, it doesn't matter if it might have helped you sometimes, it still remains bad.

Block voting is to some extent comprehensible - e.g. people from neighbouring countries can actually have somewhat similar musical taste. But what Greece and Cyprus show EVERY year is pathetic. Both countries should be temporarily banned from the competition for this.

Top Bottom